Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
oscar9

Re: RnR does not begin backup

Hope this helps!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74003

In the RnR 4.3 manual it says "The key point here is that, unlike Windows Vista, Windows 7 is responsible for managing various moving parts (for example, .wim, BCD, and so on) that allow Windows RE to work correctly."

I would read the directions for RnR and the Sysprepbackup Accessory Package for Windows 7 very carefully before attempting this. The steps are very unclear and convoluted. I followed everything step by step and was able to create a sysprep backup on a flash drive, however it didn't go very smoothly.

MAKE SURE you make a backup of your entire system on the local hard drive before proceeding if you have the space!

Again, hope this helps you out.... let me know if you find out anything else or if this works for you.

Lenovo T61 6459 CTO 2.4Ghz x64 4Gb RAM -- 320Gb 7200RPM HD + 100Gb 7200RPM Ultrabay HD; Win 7 RTM x64, Ubuntu 9.04 x64
Token Ring
oscar9

Just wanted to throw out another "alternative" suggestion.

Get Acronis True Image 2010...  it is the only software with the capability of making a ghost image on USB (or whatever you want) with Windows 7.  :smileytongue: that i know of...

You can also download Windows AIK, and True Image will make a bootable Windows PE ISO (PE=Preload Environment).

Lenovo T61 6459 CTO 2.4Ghz x64 4Gb RAM -- 320Gb 7200RPM HD + 100Gb 7200RPM Ultrabay HD; Win 7 RTM x64, Ubuntu 9.04 x64
Fanfold Paper
tron121

Pretty sure with Acronis though that if your using bitlocker you have to boot from boot media to backup.  Can't do it from windows.  That's a PITA for me since I'm using bitlocker.

Symantec Ghost 15 claims to be BitLocker compatible. I think I am going to try it.

My R&R is not working properly also.... Similar to this thread

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/failed-backup/m-p/59508

The backup runs for hours and the preboot seems to get loaded but the backup says it fails.

Free trial of ghost here

http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/register.jsp?pvid=ghost15

Token Ring
oscar9

tron121 wrote:

Pretty sure with Acronis though that if your using bitlocker you have to boot from boot media to backup.  Can't do it from windows.  That's a PITA for me since I'm using bitlocker.

Symantec Ghost 15 claims to be BitLocker compatible. I think I am going to try it.

My R&R is not working properly also.... Similar to this thread

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/failed-backup/m-p/59508

The backup runs for hours and the preboot seems to get loaded but the backup says it fails.

Free trial of ghost here

http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/register.jsp?pvid=ghost15

Thanks, I'll check that out... I have read a lot of posts about the PITA problems with bitlocker and recovery. I didn't know that Ghost was compatible with Win 7? I mean, I know you can run just about everything in compatibility mode, but when it came to creating a recovery environment Win 7 is different from the legacy OS's. It could be just a x86, x64 issue that had me confused :smileytongue:

After you try this method will you follow up with a post and let me know how it went? I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that could benefit from it if it works!

Token Ring
oscar9

BTW, after reading your post I did a quick Google search and found this, i'm sure there's better information out there and probabaly refers to Windows 7 (although I believe bitlocker didn't change much since Vista). Here's the link:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/1734

Fanfold Paper
tron121

Lame..... The Trial version does not let you convert the backup to a virtual machine....so I don't have a way to test the restore.   Nor to do they supply you with the boot cd necessary to restore the PC.  So there is no way to test effectively.  The backup did succeed but that does not tell us enough as the acronis backup succeeds too then fails to restore.

I tried to convert it using VMWare Converter Standalone Client, but its only says it supports upto ghost 14.... when I tried to boot up the converted VM it just blue screened.

Wish the Lenovo software worked......  Even windows backup seems to not work unless you have free space equal to used space free.... i can see how that would not be a problem with drive sizes being to huge these days but I've got a 128gig SSD in my T500 and am using 80 gigs of it.

I've used the server versions of Symantec Backup and have had good luck, so I am keen to try this.  Perhaps I will try and troll the symantec forums and check for people having trouble.  Still wish the lenovo softare woeked better....although I am not sure if the feature set is as good as Ghost.

Token Ring
oscar9

That's strange, just fyi I read up on VMwares Converter Standalone Client 4.0.1 and it supports...

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (formerly LiveState Recovery) 6.5, 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5, LiveState Recovery 3.0 and 6.0 2

I'm not sure if this is the same as the Symantec Backup you are referring to, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

What's DOS?
jbiek

Re: Rescue & Recovery 4.3 Won't Backup to USB drive

Hello,

i have the same problem on my R500 Thinkpad with Windows 7 and R'nR 4.3 backing up on an external USB hard drive. It freezes by 0% and i can only stop it by using the task manager. Did find a solution for this problem in the meantime.

thanks for help and best regards,

jbiek

Paper Tape
jdoughtry

Perhaps it has to do with the security settings on the RRBackups folder and subfolders?

I noticed that on my USB drive, the security was set to "no access", therefore the backup failed even after indicating 100% complete. Apparently the actual backup temporary files are stored elsewhere and when R&R attempted to copy the final files, it failed.

Be sure to go into the Advanced Permissions and set full access on security for all the main and all child folders for the SYSTEM user.

Paper Tape
ml22

Hi there,

same here on my T410, win7, 64 bit. RnR starts and then.... nothing. Any "official" help in sight here?

I do not want to install acronis or other software. I bought a new machine for quite some money - and the thinkvantage tools are always mentioned as a good reason to buy lenovo machines when tested by computer magazines. so i expect it to work the way it's supposed to. and here, it seems not to - on a very critical issue: system backup and recovery. when can we expect a running version 4.4???

martin