Accepted Solution

Rescue & Recovery can't find by backups - EXCEPT in the restore function. Help

I recently optimized   files, including placement
on disk - machine now flies.  I wanted to start from scratch with R&R).  So,
deleted all backups on Local and USB.

I launched a Base Backup - initiated manually,  shut down,
rebooted, came back up could not view backups - Message 'NO BACKUPS
FOUND' hen trying from 'view all back-ups', or 'delete backups' from Advanced
menu.  However I can find them using RESTORE FROM BACKUP.

Repeated starting with a new backup, same results exactly, except
now I have two BASE backups.  I even booted to the TV R&R
environment maybe find things there.  No luck - no ability to initiate a backup from Boot TV
environment, but could restore from the two backups.

I see no other choice other than uninstall 3.01?  Do you?  However, the newest
version out there is 4.22.. Any reason why I shouldn't upgrade to the
newest release?  I read all the warning, installation notes, bugs, etc., none seem to apply to me.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it, or if you know any
reason why 4.22 is not a good option...?

Thanks in advance

Rescue & Recovery version 3.01 T60 machine type = 2623 - Model -
D7U 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JustMyOpinion

one version of R&R on MBR, another on Windows - huh?

[ Edited ]

• After deciding to recover a large amount of disk space, and start over with a new BASE - so deleted off all backups (I have a set on DVD's).  Used the Delete Backups under the Advanced tab. Version 3.01.0037.
  • Ran a new base backup (successful), but when trying to look at it using every available function in R&R - it could not find any backup " ".  Kept on messing around until low and behold, when attempting to do a restore, it finds the backups and lets me restore from it.  I could have lived with it but every backup it took (I tried two more) were each bases meaning big consumer of harddrive space.
  • Mistake one - called Lenovo (3 year contract), they suggested upgrade to most current version of R&R 4.21 or 4.22.  Walked me through it (no worries) and got new one installed.  PS:  Version 4 has some new very slick features.  Ran backup (I monitored using Task Manager - processes) - ran for a couple of hours never consuming more than one % of CPU.  Cancel button inoperative - eventually had to shut down machine.  When booted up again, R&R Processes continue to run and all attempts to start R&R unsuccessful.
  • Back to Lenovo - eventually tried with 3 other release versions (all R4), same results.  They suggest reimage platform and start over.  Note:  I had no problems whatsoever until trying to recover space from R&R by deleting backups.
  • Gave up on Lenovo and reinstalled V3.01.0042 (most recent R3 version).  Everything appears to run fine.  Doing backups, can see them, tried a couple of restores, everything worked perfectly.
  • New variable.  Was convinced that XP sp/3 had been out there long enough, over a year,so decided to install.  First thing, take a new backup even though the base was less than 48 hours old.

It became evident very evident that SP/3 had caused a lot of instability to my machine.  BSOD's all over the place, so decided to go back.  My first approach,  go back by restoring to my last backup using R&R. (at least the Window System since everything else had not changed).  I started in Windws to select which backup and what I wanted to do.    R&R then shut down Windows and began firing up the R&R boot space in order to do the Windows restore.

Here's the reason I ended up at this NTLDR post, was after stopping temporarily with the delete of the MBR, I thought I might reinstall version 3.02.0042 and see if that had any impact on the MBR.  So, I installed it, ran a delta backup which ran quick since hadn't changed much, then shut down and attempted to boot into the R&R Recovery Space.  Low and Behold, I get the NTLDR is Compressed - message .  Which took me here.

I followed your advice and downloaded the files and burned them to a diskette, ran the diskette, then tried to boot into the recovery space.

To my surprise, Version 4 of R&R fired up (where did that come from when I had uninstalled all version 4's using the Add/Remove program function).  And of course, once it was all loaded it gave me the message that it couldn't find the backup Record where it expected it to be (it was on an external USB drive).  

So now, I need to figure out how to get rid of Version 4 on the MBR so I can load it again with the right version.  Lenovo suggested to be that could be accomplished by doing the following:

• Uninstall R&R v 3.01 - using add/remove programs
  • Boot into Bios - Disable Pre-Desktop - save and exit.
  • Uninstall R&R v 3.01 - using add/remove programs
  • Boot into Bios - Disable Pre-Desktop - save and exit.

• Reboot into Windows
  • Right click on My Computer, select Manage - get to Disk Manager - select the Service partition of the C hard drive (the MBR) and Delete the Service partition.
  • Install the new 3.01version of R&R (and it will also rebuild the with the proper version - the only one it now knows about.)

I got as far as the Delete the Service Partition, but the computer would not let me delete it.  In fact, it would allow me to delete the primary NTFS partition, but the delete was grayed out on the Fat32 Service Partition.

So, my next step is to install Norton Partition Magic and use that  to remove the Fat32 Service Partition.  But before I do so I need to know that what I am doing has a good potential to solve the problems I am having, and not just compounding the problems to the point where I will have no choice but to reload with a factory image and manually bring it forward (not fun)

One question i had for you, on the NTLDR diskette, you didn't have anything on it that would load R&R v4 into the MBR did you?  I didn't think so.

do you think the solution suggested will work?  And any potential pitfalls I should be aware of,or if you have a better idea, I am all ears.

Thanks so much in advance for your assistance.

Regards

Fred J

Message Edited by andyP on 11-15-2008 09:09 PM
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: one version of R&R on MBR, another on Windows - huh?

I've been doing some reading up and thinking on this. If I remember rightly my T43 HPA was updated when I upgraded to R&R 4, if you then uninstall R&R 4 only the windows version is removed not the WinPE. If I am right, installing V.3 doesn't change the WinPE in the HPA. The repair diskette did not introduce R&R 4, it just repaired it.

I have never done what you are proposing and would suggest formating the partition, rather than deleting it, and then installing V.3.

The pitfalls are that you may not be successful and need to start from scratch, or, leave things as they are and use Acronis.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JustMyOpinion

Andy, thanks for the quick reply.  Actually, it wasn't my proposal, but rather what the Lenovo help desk suggested I do (evidently a 'trainer' was in the call center during my call and he purportedly remembered that solution).  You mention another alternative (Acronis)?  I know nothing about that.  Can you please enlighten or point me to a place where I can get more information?

Thanks again.

Fred

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Here's a link to Acronis Home

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JustMyOpinion

R&R version 4 on MBR, version 3 on Windows - how to make both version 3?

All, I successfully repaired the MBR and resolved the 'NTLDR is compressed' message when attempting to launch the F11 (blue thinkvantage button) R&R operating system recovery space using the Thinkvantage Repair Recovery Diskette Here for Windows using the MBR repair option.

I ran it again, but this time instead of using the Repair option, I used the Replace function.  There were 3 additional options: 

a) Load most recent R&R Environment to be able to use R&R.

b) Load the older Rapid Restore environment to use Rapid Restore

c) Don't include any Rescue & Recovery function on the MBR

I ran it with the Replace function, along with option a - Load the most recent R&R Environment in the new MBR.  After booting into the Recovery environment, version 4 was the R&R version that loaded.  Now if the replace was a full replace, it implies that option a introduces a new R&R environment into the MBR - and that was version 4.

My question - I hope someone has encountered this - If I ran the Repair Recovery Diskette again, using the Replace and Don't include any R&R function>  Will a subsequent new clean install of R&R version 3.42 also rebuild the R&R environment in the MBR thereby getting the right version of R&R on the MBR?  

Second question (if noone has the answer to my question) - If I tested the prior scenario to see what happens, and it doesn't work, will another run of the Repair Recovery Diskette using the Replace and Load the most recent R&R Environment in the new MBR effectively restore the MBR to what I have now?

Sorry for any complexity in the questions

Thanks

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JustMyOpinion

Re: R&R version 4 on MBR, version 3 on Windows - how to make both version 3? SOLUTION!

All, I was finally successful in replacing the version of R&R on the Master Boot Record.

First, I booted with a R&R Start-up Disc.  You can either use one that you made with R&R when (if) you ever put a full back-up on CD (which I do every year), or the start-up Disc (one of one) that Lenovo sent you along with the 7 Product Recovery CD's that allow you to restore your PC back to precisely the state you received from the factory or store (if you purchased it new).

R&R automatically boots from the start-up CD with the version of R&R that made the start-up disc (either when you or Lenovo made the start-up disc.

My experience was that after booting with that CD, I shut down R&R normally, then rebooted the computer using the MBR (pushing the Thinkvantage key or F11 early in the boot) and voila - it boots up with the same version as you booted with the CD in the last step.

I also discovered that if you use R&R to restore back to a time when the Version of R&R was different than what is on the MBR currently, that also changes the MBR.  Again, both are good information trivia that will definitely come in handy some time.

Thanks again to everyone who jumped in and provided some information that ultimatelly led tothe solution

regards

Fred

Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: R&R version 4 on MBR, version 3 on Windows - how to make both version 3? SOLUTION!

Hello JustMyOpinion,

thanks for your solution!! :smileyhappy:

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español