Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
dutch55

Rescue and Recovery 4.3 Windows 7 Recovery Problem

I need to restore my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit C Drive image for my Thinkpad X200s from a backup set (base and incrementals) in a folder on the network.  The C drive is a logical volume on a physical disk with two other partitions (D and E).  There is no pre-desktop area partition on this drive.  I didn't make the rescue CD/DVD at the time or my most recent installation of R&R 4.3.  I tried using the rescue DVD from my original IBM image, but it doesnt see the network backup location.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64, installed C++ 2005SP1 64 and R&R 4.3, and created a R&R rescue DVD using a USB DVD/CD drive. No antivirus or any other applications were installed and no user files were created.  Booting from that DVD produced 4 popup error messages before it gets to the menu screen, and then reboots the system.  Repeating produces the same errors.  I tried with a second created DVD, and a CD and also get same errors.  Also I tried invoking the recovery from the Rescue and Recovery program installed on Windows 7 and it gets the same errors, and makes the Windows 7 installation unbootable.

The system has not shown any symptoms of hardware problems but I swapped the positions of the two memory modules in the middle of my several attempts to boot from the rescue DVD or CD and the error messages were the same.

The errors are (in order or appearance):

MSGBOX.EXE Application Error

The instruction at 0x77891b3f referenced memory at 0x8c26655a.  The memory could not be read.

NETSVCINST.EXE Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0XC0000005).

WINBIOS.EXE Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0XC0000005).

PDASW.EXE Application Error

The instruction at 0x7C34F937 referenced memory at 0x0026B000.  The memory could not be written.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: Rescue and Recovery 4.3 Windows 7 Recovery Problem

Hi,
in case you boot up from a newer system using older Recovery disks, that you will not be able to find the RnR backup, that is placed on the network , as the network driver is missing. The second situation is, that this would not work (using the older Recovery disk) as it is not possible for RnR to restore a backup, that was captured from a different RnR version.

For the restore of the other machine I would advice to create recovery DVD's or to use the same version of RnR on the other target machine and then to restore the system.

Your situation with the error messages seems to be related to a corrupt installation of RnR, or corrupt Creation of the Bootup Disks.
Here is in short, what the error messages mean:
MSGBOX.EXE Application Error => cannot start the full welcome screen, as there is a Win32 error, which is preventing the system to start the windows splash screen

NETSVCINST.EXE Application Error => cannot install/inicialize any network driver/'s

WINBIOS.EXE Application Error => this is related to the first message, as no gui application could be started.

PDASW.EXE Application Error => some applications temp files could not be loaded into the memory location.

In your situation, I would try following:
- check on the original system, what is the SATA configuration in BIOS
- on the target system change the SATA option from AHCI to Compatibility or vice versa, as this might also prevent the system from a correct startup into the winpe.
- create on the original machine recovery Disks and reload the target system.

Please note, that when you install win7 it by default creates a 100MB partition, which might in some situation confuse the RnR application. So please remove this partition and assign it to the C:\ drive and reinstall RnR, if the situation will not change.

Please let me know any update.

Cheers

Punch Card
dutch55

Herik,

Thanks for your response.

I was able to get R&R 4.3 installed and successfully make R&R recovery disks by running Thinkvantage System Update before installing R&R.  My guess is that there is some dependency upon other Lenovo software which caused the errors when I attempted to install R&R on a bare Windows 7 installation.

Once I got my system recovered I decided to switch from R&R to another backup application. Several reasons:

1. Incompatability between versions of R&R.

2. Inability to specify the network folder path at recovery time, which means I am stuck with the exact same network folder pathname forever.

3. Inability to access and navigate the folder hierarchy in backups, which several third party backup programs do.

4. Since R&R only works on Lenovo computers, the only way I can access the backups is from my Lenovo computer.

5. Recovery times with R&R seem much slower than other programs. For example, I did an experiment recovering using the Windows 7 backup versus R&R and the Windows 7 backup was several hours faster.

I might also mention that the reason I had to do a system restore is because a Lenovo update for Bluetooth caused my system to crash with BSOD and destroyed the file system. I recently tried the update on my restored computer and exactly the same thing happened. There are several threads in the forums about similar problems. 

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
you are right, there are couple patches for the Win7 Os that are installed once you run TVSU.

I'm sorry to hear, that you choosed other backup vendor. I do understand your reasons, however, it's kid of hard to change anything in such a big tool as RnR is.

Anyway, in case you will have any kind of issue with your system, just let us know.

Please mark this thread as fixed, as this situation is closed for you. :smileysad:

Cheers

Punch Card
dutch55

Herik,

Thanks for your reply. I will close out this thread but wanted to ask one more question about a problem i had with R&R which isnt exactly related to my inabillity to do the system restore.

I was backing up to a network drive on my home LAN using R&R. After a fresh install, about three days after running daily backups using a network folder on a pretty empty 300GB drive, I got an error that the backup did not complete because of insuficcient space to complete the backup.  I added a 1.5TB drive, and reinstalled R&R, got the same error, removed and reinstalled R&R, and the same thing happened after about three days.

Two questions: have you seen this error before?

Is there a way to report suspected bugs like this to Lenovo? If not, how do they ever find out about bugs?

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
yes I have seen this kind of error message couple times.
Mostly it appears, when you store backups on two places and one of these places don't have enough free space.
Example:
you store the RnR backups on Local and network drive. After some time the Local HDD will be full, and it will always report "insuficcient space".

However, this situation is purelly a "missunderstanding" where the user thinks, that this is due to the low disk space on the other drive.

However, I assume, that this is not your situation as from your posts it looks more, like you are storing the backups only on Network share. In this situation I would check the Firewall and Antivir application, as it might be possible, that they kind of blocking the RnR application to access the share, which leads the RnR application to believe, that as there is not a sufficient respond from the network share, then there is also not sufficient space.

Please let me know, if you have any update to this new situation.

Cheers