Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Broadband 3G
sclexman
Accepted Solution

Rescue and Recovery 4.5 Incremental backup reverts to LOCAL when i have 2nd hard drive

I have 2 hard drives.

Installed R & R 4.50.

Set 2nd hard drive as Store Location.

Initial "scheduled" full back up goes to my D drive. (This does NOT use the windows task scheduler).

During next Incremental  backup (set by the back up at this time setting), it reverts back to local drive,

and does another FULL backup to my C drive  folder RRbackups.

Problem is windows Task Scheduler is NOT set, under TVT folder  task, to backup up to 2nd hard drive.

I edited Task Scheduler to change folder TVT, task launchRnR, actions  from:

start a program %R%/rrcmd.exe BACKUP location=L name=Scheduled   scheduled

to:

start a program %R%/rrcmd.exe BACKUP location=S name=Scheduled   scheduled

otherwise, all works fine. Such a Major bug. Anyone else having this problem?

Broadband 3G
sclexman

Re: Rescue and Recovery 4.5 Incremental backup reverts to LOCAL when i have 2nd hard drive

Change % R to %RR 

Fanfold Paper
richardaernst

Re: Rescue and Recovery 4.5 Incremental backup reverts to LOCAL when i have 2nd hard drive

Yes, I am also experiencing this same issue.

Im running Window7 64 bit and use the Advanced Rescue and Recover Interface (Ive been using this for years now...)

I ran into a problem on my brand new W520 where the 465GB disk drive was filling up and down to 9%.  After some investaging I was able to determine that all of my weekly scheduled backups where being hosted on the primary drive (C: drive) as opposed to my USB external drive as configured.

To me, this is a MAJOR flaw and a new problem in Lenovo Rescue and Recovery.

Please help as I really dont want to change my backup / recovery software but if this problem isnt fixed soon, I will be forced to dump it.

v/r

Rich

Fanfold Paper
richardaernst

Wanted to add a couple of things:

a) fresh install or Rescue and Recovery (Uninstalled, cleaned up, re-installed --> same problem :-(

b) a scheduled incremental and or Initial backup reverts to primary drive even when configured for an external drive.

Punch Card
Palaudog

Re: Rescue and Recovery 4.5 Incremental backup reverts to LOCAL when I have 2nd hard drive

I had the same problem backing up to my 2nd hard drive. I never found a solution and out of frustration and desperation I began using windows built in "Backup and restore". It works well, although I have not yet tested it's ability to do an image restore.

Fanfold Paper
richardaernst

Re: Rescue and Recovery 4.5 Incremental backup reverts to LOCAL when I have 2nd hard drive

Lenovo,

Care to chime in?  Appears to be a problem.  IMHO a problem with backup/recovery solutions are huge as people depend on them to save data that is valuable to them. These people are your customers, and would hope that what is valuable to them and jeopardizes it, would be of interest to YOU.

v/r

Rich

Broadband 3G
sclexman

[ Edited ]

I recently Reinstalled R and R 4.50. Same bug as i noted.  The entry in the  windows task scheduler is INCORRECT.

For those backing up to a 2nd hard drive, use my Solution.  The initial BASE backup will go to the correct

backup location.  Subsequent Incrementals use the Task scheduler to kick off the backup .. I do not know what

the parmeter is to point to a USB drive.  Location = S is the correct parmeter to back up to a 2nd hard drive. 

Control Panel>Administrative tools>task scheduler>tvt folder

Entry "LaunchRnR" select this entry.  Right click this entry. Properties.  Choose the Actions tab. Then EDIT.

You will see ADD arguments(optional);  entry block will contain

BACKUP location=L name=Scheduled scheduled

Change location=L to location=S.  Click OK.  Next run should go to 2nd hard drive. Major Flaw!

===

During Initial 1st time run of R&R, it will ask. you have NOT taken a backup, back up now?  Reply NO.

If you reply YES, it will go to your C drive, since you have not changed your backup location.

If you replied YES, you have a base backup on your C drive.  If this happens, Delete the base back up.

Go to set schedule parm, choose time and day, and location 2nd drive.  It will then ask do you want to back up.

Reply YES, IT will go to the 2nd hard drive.  THEN the bug shows up when incrementals start.

Change windows task scheduler as noted above.  

Broadband 3G
sclexman

Note: Once in Task scheduler... you will see TASK SCHEDULER(Local).   Doube click this.

You will see Task scheduler LIbary, Double click this.  Finally you will see a list of folders, one being the TVT folder.

Double click it.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I have reproduced this issue here so we will file a bug with the software team.

The work-around is just like sclexman says.  Edit the scheduled task to specify the correct backup location as follows:

location=L     <-- local (primary) HDD

location=S     <-- second HDD

location=U     <-- USB

sclexman,

thanks a lot for your help to identify this problem and find the work-around.

Punch Card
gilbertshort

Many thanks to all for this solution. I have also had this problem for months on several machines where R&R chose the wrong drive and refused to backup to the external USB Drive. The error message was " The destination selected C:\RRBackups\SZ\ D.......267 does not appear to have enough space available to accommodate the backup. Would you like to attempt the backup anyway? "  (there was in fact oceans of space) On some machines it arose consequent to upgrading to R&R 4..5, on one where the USB hard drive was replaced and one other possible case where the USB hard drive landed up labelled drive D rather than E.