Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
fargleblargen
Accepted Solution

Rescue and Recovery Backup to the Cloud

[ Edited ]

I believe I've found the system image that I took with Rescue and Recover @ c:\RRbackups. I would now like to back this up using a cloud based backup service. Is this the only folder I need?

Also, assuming my hard drive crashes, would the cloud backup of RRbackups and a set of recovery media be all that I need to restore my system once I've replaced the bad hard drive?

Thank you.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Rescue and Recovery Backup to the Cloud

R&R is not a cloud backup/restore service.  If you want cloud backup/restore, I strongly recommend finding some other software for that.

As for taking backups with R&R and storing them somewhere else, you need to take the backup to a USB drive, then image the USB drive and store the resulting image to the cloud (or wherever).  I don't think you'll be successful with taking a local backup and then trying to zip up the contents of C:\RRBackups and storing it somewhere else.

Just being honest with you, what you are trying to do is use the software in a way it was not designed to be used, and the result of doing that (with any software) is almost always disappointment...

What's DOS?
fargleblargen

Understood and no problem at all. I will adjust my backup strategy to make it work. Just to be clear though. I'll need to

1. backup to an external USB drive, then make a disc image from that drive to store in the cloud.

2. store the recovery media disc image in the cloud

Is that all? I'm assuming I burn both images to disk and when using the recovery media it will allow me to insert the disc created from the backup image and restore from that.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

R&R gives you the option to make the USB device bootable, for recovery purposes.  Then it will take the backup to the same USB device.  So I think you can do this all in one step - just configure R&R to backup to your USB HDD and let R&R make the USB HDD bootable.  Then take a complete image of the USB HDD and store it in the cloud.  When it comes time to restore the backup, retrieve the image from the cloud, write the image back out to your USB HDD, and then boot the USB HDD and walk through the R&R restore wizard.

Having said all that, you are still using R&R in a way it was not designed for and hasn't been tested.  It should work but I strongly suggest testing that this will work (especially the part about saving and restoring the image from the cloud to the USB HDD) before you feel confident in being able to restore your system should you have the need to do that sometime in the future.

What's DOS?
fargleblargen

Thanks again. I will test it all before I commit it to procedure.

Broadband 3G
JDay

You do not want to make full disk backups to the cloud, it would take quite some time on a connection with fast upstream speeds (which most people do not have). You can however set it to backup to another machine on your local area network, which would go much faster.