Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
korebreach
Accepted Solution

Silent Uninstall of System Update

Using the new System Center Configuration Manager 2012, you can now specify programs that supersede other programs.  I am trying to specify that System Update 4.03.0012 supersedes 4.03.0007.  To do this, however, I need to add the silent uninstallation command string for the older version so that SCCM can uninstall it before installing the new one.

Installation of each version works flawlessly using the command line:

systemupdate<version>.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn CREATESHORTCUT=1"

I have tried the command given in the latest "System Update Solution Deployment Guide" from Lenovo, which uses MsiExec.exe to remove the product using it's product code:

MsiExec.exe /X {8675339C-128C-44DD-83BF-0A5D6ABD8297} /qn

Unfortunatly, not only does this do nothing, I've even searched for that string in the registry (with 4.03.0012 installed) and the search returns nothing.

I've tried several command line switches that have been used by other programs to uninstall software.  I've apparently not hit on the right combination, or it's just not possible.

Ideally, I'd like command lines that will uninstall each version using the program installer (not MsiExec), similar to my installation command lines.

Does anyone know the uninstall command line syntax for the System Update executable installer?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
korebreach

Re: Silent Uninstall of System Update

Still hoping someone out there knows a working uninstallation command for System Update.  Preferably using the System Update .exe file instead of MSIEXEC.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Howdy neighbor,

First, let me say that I know NOTHING about this topic.  Got poking around the registry, and it looks like TVSU

is filed under the compressed version of the GUID:

8675339C-128C-44DD-83BF-0A5D6ABD8297 -> C9335768C821DD4438FBA0D5A6DB2879

I don't suppose that helps...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Lenovo Employee
passser

Hi korebreach,

Could you please try below TVSU uninstall command line  and feedback result?Thanks

MsiExec.exe /X{25C64847-B900-48AD-A164-1B4F9B774650} /qn

Lenovo Employee
passser

Hi korebreach,

Could you please try below TVSU uninstall command line and feedback result?Thanks

MsiExec.exe /X{25C64847-B900-48AD-A164-1B4F9B774650} /qn
Ctrl-Alt-Del
korebreach

I found a more straightforward way of doing what I needed in SCCM.  By extracting the System Update files first and adding the .msi to SCCM, it automatically knows how to uninstall the program.  The problem was coming from trying to use the .exe instead, which did the extraction first and then the install.