Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Siren

Stop at Intel Management Engine BIOS after System Update 9JAN09

Dear All,

I have a x200 P8600 4GB Ram Vista SP1, I just run system update and install 6 update form the issue date 9JAN

Power Manager

Power Manager Driver

BIOS

TrackPoint driver

...etc

After update complete (without any error) and auto reboot. I can't start in my Windows!!! (even no Windows Logo appear)

A blank screen with a cursor on upper left. I just try to reload default in the BIOS

now my computer stop showing at

Intel(R) Management Engine BIOS Extension v4.0.4.006

Copyright 2003-08 Intel Corporation. All Righs Reserved.

I have no idea and not willing to reinstall. Since I just run the same update on another computer x200s without problem.

Please help!

Thanks

Fanfold Paper
ekster

Re: Stop at Intel Management Engine BIOS after System Update 9JAN09

Hi,

I get the exact same thing.  I removed the Hard drive, battery, and reset the cmos. Still no luck?  Can someone help?

What's DOS?
RamsesX

Same thing here happened to me. I flashed the BIOS this morning with the Lenovo System Update. The update process went flawless but at boot up I get this message.

Seems like we've all done the same update and got the same problem. Issue with the version of the BIOS we've put ?

Paper Tape
chewybar

Same thing happened to me!

Bio update smoothly and stuck at reboot on "Intel Management....".  To make the case worst, I was on the road and relying on the machine!:smileysad:

will send in for repair and see what they say...a bad bios update is soooooo unacceptable...

Fanfold Paper
ekster

No solution that I know of yet. I was able to boot to the hardrive by taking out the memory and disabling the Intel AMT in the BIOS. The I pressed F8 slowly until WIndows XP came up. After that I was able to downgrade the BIOS in XP using the winflash utility that comes with the BIOS package. Why not use the Bootable CD you ask? I could not use the Bootable ISO CD because the new BIOS did not boot up to the CD as well
Paper Tape
chewybar

[ Edited ]

Well, problem solved.  Or I should say half solved.

Brought my x200s to service centre in Quarry Bay, HK.  The person at service desk was very helpful, telling me this is not the first case!  He immediately open the RAM latch and found the source of the problem - Kingston 2G RAM, one in each ram slot.  Apparantly, BIOS ver 2.02 does not like Kingston Ram.  Since I don't have the origianl 1G RAM that comes with the notebook, they took out all 4G RAM, replace it with a stock RAM, boot up the x200s, and downgrade my x200s' BIOS to the previous version.

Popped both my Kingston RAM in the notebook, boot up, wola, everything works as before.

Word of advice: DON'T UPDATE TO BIOS 2.02 IF YOU ARE USING KINGSTOM RAM!

Lenovo: As a responsible company, please put a note on the release note and warn customer before hand!

:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by chewybar on 01-21-2009 01:28 AM
Fanfold Paper
ekster

great thanks for the information.  It makes sense since I have Kingston 2 -2GB ram as well.  However I have an X200 but they are about the same.  I am going to call Lenovo on this.

Thanks again,

Paper Tape
chewybar

Do let us know your result.

viewing n typing on my re-born x200s :smileywink:

Paper Tape
MarcusL

It's not just Kingston RAM. I bought 2x 2GB sticks of G.Skill RAM from Newegg (link) that have the same problem. It doesn't work with one chip, two chips, or the factory 2GB and one of the G.Skill chips. Only the factory chip will allow a boot (it says "Hynix" on the factory one). I don't think it's the Intel Management BIOS that's the problem though because if you go into the BIOS and turn off the Network Boot Option ROM then it hangs at a different point (unknown, just a blinking cursor).
Paper Tape
uccoffee

[ Edited ]

I ve got the same problem with a 2G kingston DDR3 

I downgrade to  BIOS 1.10  and the Kington RAM works!

The Bios 1.1 link does not work with IE7 ...  I have to use Google Chrome to get it.

Message Edited by uccoffee on 01-28-2009 02:27 AM