Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Strange Power Manager 3.66 crash

[ Edited ]

I got a Windows popup that Power Manager (3.66) had stopped working,

asking if I wanted to check online for a solution. No solution was found.

Then I got an immediate crash in Windows Explorer, which I restarted.

Power Manager seemed to be running normally.

When checking Logs and WER I found only the Windows Explorer crash.

I've saved this material Iincluding CrashDump) in case it might be helpful.

Let me know if you want it.

 

UPDATE: Just before the crash I had switched window transparency back on.

I had switched it off earlier while recording screen capture with Expression.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
RMattoo
Posts: 1,241
Topics: 3
Kudos: 94
Solutions: 91
Registered: ‎11-02-2011
Location: India
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.66 crash

Hi

 

Please try Patch For Power Manager  & Power Manager V 3.67 from the below links

 

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8mu417ww.exe

 

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/00u401us.exe

 

 

 

 

Hope This Helps

Cheers!!!

 

 

802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.66 crash


RMattoo wrote:

Hi

Please try Patch For Power Manager  & Power Manager V 3.67 from the below links

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8mu417ww.exe

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/00u401us.exe

Hope This Helps

Cheers!!!


Thank you.

I already had Power Manager Patch installed, as verified against info here.

I updated Power Manager to 3.67 from here.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.66 crash

I've just had an identical crash with Power Manager 3.67, immediately following reboot after uninstalling a device driver.

Again, there was only an Explorer dmp and WER (attached), not for Power Manager.

 

Capture.PNG

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy
Posts: 2,568
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
Location: NC
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.66 crash

I don't see anything in the explorer dump file that points to Power Manager.  The dmp file is pointing to a problem within DUI70.dll.  It's possible that Power Manager is causing the problem, but I'm not able to make that conclusion from the explorer dump file.

 

What I don't understand is why there isn't any Power Manager dump file.  Are you trying to get it by following the same steps we used previously to debug the slysoft problem?

 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/BUG-Power-Manager-3-64-stops-working-and-won-t...

 

Also, what is the status of the Power Manager battery gauge after this crash?

802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.66 crash

[ Edited ]

someotherguy wrote:

I don't see anything in the explorer dump file that points to Power Manager.  The dmp file is pointing to a problem within DUI70.dll.  It's possible that Power Manager is causing the problem, but I'm not able to make that conclusion from the explorer dump file.

What I don't understand is why there isn't any Power Manager dump file.  Are you trying to get it by following the same steps we used previously to debug the slysoft problem?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/BUG-Power-Manager-3-64-stops-working-and-won-t...

Also, what is the status of the Power Manager battery gauge after this crash?


  1. I'm judging this a PM issue purely from the dialog box posted in my message.
  2. I had Check for solutions set to ask me. The last time it happened I clicked Next and it didn't find a solution. I didn't do that this time, but I'm willing to bet the result would have been the same.
  3. I cannot easily reproduce the issue. This is the first time it's happened since my previous report.

Is there anything more you'd like me to try?

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.67 crash

Just had this happen again, this time with PM 3.67:

Not at startup -- Windows had been running for some time.

Lenovo error box appeared that PM had stopped working, offering to check for updates.

PM appeared to still be running in the Task Bar.

When I closed Lenovo error box, I got the Windows Explorer crash.

This issue really needs to be addressed by Lenovo!

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy
Posts: 2,568
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
Location: NC
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.67 crash

I saw it one time when I accidently restored the wrong backup image to the wrong system. The result was wrong video driver and then power manager crashed after Windows login. I tried to repro and get a dump file but I could not repro it. I agree there is some gremlin in power manager but I can't find it. Try 6.07 which is on the download website now. Despite the large jump in numbering it is the next version after 3.67
802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.67 crash


someotherguy wrote:
I saw it one time when I accidently restored the wrong backup image to the wrong system. The result was wrong video driver and then power manager crashed after Windows login. I tried to repro and get a dump file but I could not repro it. I agree there is some gremlin in power manager but I can't find it. Try 6.07 which is on the download website now. Despite the large jump in numbering it is the next version after 3.67

Thank you. I'll install the new version.

FWIW, all my drivers are X220 drivers as distributed by Lenovo with the exception of

Intel PROSet-Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7 64-Bit 14.3.0.6 (01-12-2012)

I'm using the generic Intel wireless driver for reasons set forth here.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy
Posts: 2,568
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
Location: NC
0

Re: Strange Power Manager 3.67 crash

I think this crash has nothing to do with other software. My test images are about as barebone as you can get yet I still saw this crash in the scenario I described. I had put an Optimus t420 image on a Intel graphics T420 when saw the crash.