Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Chilling

Re: System Update - An error occurred while gathering user information

I can't believe it but it works! I changed my language from English USA to English Zimb and it absolutely worked. How did you ever find this? It is absolutely a bug. They should be able to fix this since you have identified the method you used. This is terrific! Thanks. I have tried everything for about at least 1 month and nothing has worked.
Token Ring
recreaghmd

Comforting that some are solving their problem. I do not mean to be negative but it did not work for me.

Perhaps more info of your solution:

1- OS you are using.

2- Were others related items changed also (time, date, keyboard, currency, etc)?

3- Location?

4- System type?

5- Reboot?

I have a TP60p with 2 hard drives, dual booting Vista-B SP1 and XP SP3. System Update (same latest version on each) works in XP, but not in Vista. The previous version use to work perfectly on both and it was this last version installation the culprit for the current problem.

Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T61p, 6460 8WU, Dual Core Centrino 2.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Drive 0:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). Drive 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b clean install. Drive 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/Windows 7 SP1 64b new install in progress. Drive 3:250GB, Vista-B-SP2 clean install, Drive 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. Drive 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA.
Fanfold Paper
ggreenfield

Vista w/SP1 on an X60
Fanfold Paper
ggreenfield

I will try for a complete answer this time.   Vista with SP1 on an X60.  Literally, only change I made was change it to English Zimb and then ran system update and it worked.   Changed it back to English US and ran System update and it worked.  I did not reboot in between and all of my Windows updates have been applied.
Token Ring
recreaghmd

[ Edited ]

Very grateful for the info, unfortunately did not worked for me.

Two questions if you please:

1- Editing the file X:\Program files\Lenovo\System update\default, you should have a similar entry as this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UCSettings\RunTime]
"InvokeStyle"="MANUAL"
"NLSOS"="VS-BUS.SP1"
"NLSOSLang"="EN"
"QOS"="Windows VISTA"
"QOSLang"="ES"
"MTM"="2613CTO"
"ActiveLanguage"="EN"
"HelpFileName"="SystemUpdateHelp.chm"

Perhaps you could tell me how different might be yours.

2-  In Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\Egather there is a file: "sysrecomin.xml", which size is OKB in my Vista but is 6KB in my XP, with another file "sysreco.xml" (586KB), which does not exist in Vista. Do you have both files in Vista?

They are generated I believe, and for some reason that is not happening.

Name suggest recognition and probably related to this problem.

Could you possibly post the sysrecomin.xml from your vista to compare with the one I have in XP?

Thanks very much

Message Edited by recreaghmd on 08-31-2008 02:56 PM
Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T61p, 6460 8WU, Dual Core Centrino 2.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Drive 0:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). Drive 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b clean install. Drive 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/Windows 7 SP1 64b new install in progress. Drive 3:250GB, Vista-B-SP2 clean install, Drive 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. Drive 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA.
Fanfold Paper
ggreenfield

1.  My key for runtime is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UCSettings\RunTime]
"InvokeStyle"="MANUAL"
"NLSOS"="XP.SP2"
"NLSOSLang"="EN"
"QOS"="Windows XP"
"QOSLang"="ES"
"MTM"=""
"ActiveLanguage"="ES"
"HelpFileName"="SystemUpdateHelp.chm

I don't know what it was when it wasn't working, but I had trid the other suggestion of running in compatability mode, but had switched back (and I confirmed before writing this, that indeed the compatability setting is off).

2.  The sysreco* files are the same size as you have listed for XP.

Token Ring
recreaghmd

Thanks
Ctrl-Alt-Del
registradus

I'm not sure if this is a related problem or not but I just downloaded and installed the latest version of the updater (314-2008-5-15) and whenever I try to run the updater I get the error:

The Package Index Server is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

This always happens at around 30% during "Downloading package information: Lenovo Help Center (1 of 1)"

Thanks for your help...

Paper Tape
annoyed

Ditto with what registradus is getting.  Updated to the "latest and greatest" and the first time I ran Sys Update it asked if I wanted to transmit the machine info etc.  This was a change and improvement from previous attempts but...at approx 21%, Sys Upd stalls and says "The Package Index Server is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."   This is REALLY annoying!!  You'd like to think Lenovo/IBM could be just a little bit more professional than releasing and then abandoning this crap.  Can't we find a solution for these problems - please??
Token Ring
recreaghmd

Dearly beloved in System Update, the shameful failure of Lenovo in not correcting this problem is simply NOT good business for them. I have several friends impressed by the machine, but after they learn that they might not be able to update the software for this magnificent machine, they rightly get apprehensive and ask me to let them know when the problem is fixed.

I have not updated for 7 months (with over 85 new entries), with the exception of 8 items, after a laborious confirmation of obsolescence and manual installation.

It is not fair for us and certainly no profitable for them.

Cheers and continuing the wait for a miracle.