Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
prdab000

System Update - Package did not install

I have a T400, XP-SP3, System Update version 3.14.0034.

I recently started having problems getting any updates to install.  The most recent 5 updates failed (for example ThinkPad Power Manager v1.99g).

The updates download ok but will not install.  I tried using the deferred updates option just to verify they are getting downloaded, and they do indeed appear in the "Install deferred updates" list.

There are no error messages.  After running a very long time, the System Update Results screen appears, showing that the packages did not install.

I re-installed ThinkVantage Toolbox but the results are the same.  I tried installing the deferred updates one at a time, but none have installed successfully.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: System Update - Package did not install

hey prdab000,

could you try downloading those packages directly from our support site and at the same time, could you provide to us the Machine-Type Model of your unit :

Locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Blue Screen Again
prdab000

Thanks for the reply.  The laptop is a Thinkpad T400 (6475-z9c), running XP-sp3.

I tried re-installing the System Update tool (systemupdate314-2010-10-29.exe), and that is also failing.  The popup error message is "Error 1722.  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action StartSuService.EXE, location: ...\startsuservice.exe"

I rebooted and retried, the results were the same.

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

What's DOS?
domeh

I am having exactly the same problem as the person who started this thread:

System: Lenovo T510 (4384) with Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise

System update version: 4.00.0048

Updates are loaded, but installation of each of them does not succeed.

System update does not tell why.  There is just the error message "x package did not install,  please try to install manually".

I know that installing individual pakages from the support site manually should work, but the link in the System Update does not work and it is quite annoying to look for the missing pieces of updates from the support site as the names there and those listed by System Update are not corresponding each other 100%.

Any real help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Dome

Paper Tape
stv123

Have the same issue; did you find a solution?

What's DOS?
domeh

No, I did not found any cure yet for the system update.

One thing which came to my mind:

My laptop has centrally admistered updates for Windows 7.  This means I cannot use the windows update feature manually although my account has admistrator rights.  It might be that this Lenovo System Update application tries to install new drivers, but it is not handling correctly the exception if Windows 7 is blocking the automated driver installation.

BTW: One other thing where I finally found a solution: 

The hotkeys integration package did not install and therefore all the function keys Fn2 - 12 were not working.

However, the manual installation succeeds if you first rename the C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEYS eg to C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEYS-BACKUP then install and copy the original directory over the newly created  C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEYS directory.  (there was no overlapping files in my case)

Dome

Retired Employee
Serge1410

domeh wrote:

One thing which came to my mind:

My laptop has centrally admistered updates for Windows 7.  This means I cannot use the windows update feature manually although my account has admistrator rights.  It might be that this Lenovo System Update application tries to install new drivers, but it is not handling correctly the exception if Windows 7 is blocking the automated driver installation.

Dome

when you say, "centrally administrated", am i right to say that the company you work has a centralized system that distributes the windows updates for you and for the rest of the company ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
wsussky

I too am having exactly the same experience (T500; WinXPPro/SP3; SU Version 3.14.0034).

The SU initially updated itself and then downloads several updates but can not install them, either as a group or individually.  Clicking any "Manually Install" link does nothing.

I would certainly appreciate any help.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

can you check to see if the updates offer are alread installed, I've had a few times it offers an update but it fails when I look to see if I need that update I don't

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

A new version of TVSU is released today which will now use our new servers and the very latest content.  If TVSU does not update itself automatically, you can download the latest version for Win7 or WinXP from here: 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TVSU-UPDATE

Updated content packages may address the issue.