Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
huntnyc
Accepted Solution

System Update and System Board Replacement

On my T400 had system board replaced last summer and ever since have not been able to get system update to work - have installed newest version and am running Vista Business 32bit.  Should I expect some how to be able to get it to work and if so how?  Or, since board was changed, I can forget about it working?  Thanks for your help.

Gary

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,252
Solutions: 1,342

Re: System Update and System Board Replacement

did you replace the motherboard yourself or did you do it through authorised lenovo service depot? System update will check your serial/model of your laptop. If your motherboard was obtained through aftermarket source, then it would not have the serial/model number updated.

The serial and model number update could only be done using the hardware maintenance diskette, which is only available to the depot and onsite technicians. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

also if you could specify, what error or message do you seen, when you say, that TVSU does not work.

Cheers

Punch Card
huntnyc

It was replaced by Lenovo technician under onsite warranty.  Still does not work but if this is the case that Lenovo replaced it, then now what steps could I take?

Gary

Punch Card
huntnyc

I think it said something about cannot contact the server or something to that affect.  Don't have it installed but I can reinstall and let you know for sure.  Is it 3/14 version or is there later one and thanks.

Gary

lead_org

check whether the bios has your model/serial number listed. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
huntnyc

Thanks and I checked Bios which I had updated and no system serial number listed and I saw no model number.  Also, if it matters, under UUID in same Bios screen, I just saw zeros with a couple of dashes in them - don't know if normal or not and thanks again.

Gary

lead_org

the technician whom replaced the motherboard forgot to update this information, which is what is causing your system update error, reason for which i have already explained.

Better call Lenovo and inform them of this issue, the laptop will have to be updated with the correct information by the depot or onsite technician. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
huntnyc

Thank you and I will call them and hopefully they can do this onsite as well.

Gary

Punch Card
huntnyc

One more thing to confirm - I installed System Update 3.14 and then the patch for Vista SP2 after that.  Tech will come Thursday and flash my Bios.  Do I need to reinstall System Update again or not after he flashes the laptop?  Also, is installing the patch what I should have done and thanks again.

Gary