Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Fazza

Re: System Update fails with "An error was detected with the package catalog for your system...

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem on a T410i - luckily I have a backup plan for when this happens (and it happens every now and again).

A year or so ago when the transition from the IBM website to the Lenovo website was happening the System Updates were unavailable for a couple of weeks so I had laptops that I needed to install a fresh copy of Windows on but had to manually download and install all the drivers instead of automatically.

After that fiasco I found the ThinkVantage Update Retriever which is basically an offline version of their drivers server!  All you do is install the software on a computer (I've got it installed on my Windows 2003 server as that's our support server) and you then tell it what type of computers you have (i.e. 7673, 2243, 7515 etc. as found on the bottom of your laptops or the front/side of your desktops) and let it download the drivers for the Operating Systems that you choose.

You can set the Update Retriever software to automatically check for updates and all you do is a registry edit on your computer with the ThinkVantage software update tool on it so it looks on your ThinkVantage Update Retriever computer instead of Lenovo's server so you'll always have access to the drivers and updates that you need!

Also using the Update Retriever can save valuable bandwidth as you'll be going to your own system rather than across the Internet to Lenovo's.

:smileyhappy:

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

Re: System Update fails with "An error was detected with the package catalog for your system...

For those getting the catalog error, have you tried running System Update again?  There was some amount of time this morning when the catalogs were being refreshed and you may have gotten mixed up with cached content.  If you run it again and still have the same error please let us know.

Fanfold Paper
Fazza

Glad to here it's back up and working.  I've just tried to update the System Update Retriever I have to see if there are any new updates it needs and it just says Results: Fail Additional Information: Try Again Later - is this a related issue.

WWAN
mixz1

Yesterday and today, same error. ThinkPad T520.
T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Paper Tape
Normann

System update worked perfectly for months.  This morning I installed some microsoft updates, and when I tried running sustem update, I received this error message.  I deleted system update and reinstalled it.  I still get the same error message. Any suggestions?

Fanfold Paper
Staats

System update is broken for me as well. W20 - no proxy, reinstalled, just isn't working.
Punch Card
Radioguy

Try deleting the model-specific xml files in C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\session and run SU again. That worked for me.

T61 - 6465CTO - T7300 - WSXGA+ - 4GB - 100GB - X3100 - Win7 Ult 32
Paper Tape
piccit

[ Edited ]

I'm having this same problem after a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

No proxy, latest vers of sys update downloaded from lenovo's site.

The odd part is that Sys update worked yesterday (before I reinstalled windows) -- I updated the BIOS to the latest version

I have a T500, 2055-45u

EDIT: After doing a few manual updates/installs (power manager, switchable graphics, and chipset drives) I tried again and this time it worked. I don't know if it's by coincidence or if the other updates somehow allowed it work...

What's DOS?
rfph0to

I did the exact same thing!

Got a Thinkpad E420 (1141) a little under a week ago and had no problem downloading and instaling the updates. Then I had some problems with the laptop, so I decided to completely restore it with a fresh instal of Windows 7 Profesional 64-bit.

No proxy, and I downloaded and reinstaled the latest version of the lenovo's thinkvantage system update and still can't get it to work. Even waited about 12 hours, and still getting the same error.

Any thoughts? Is it a problem with Lenovo's servers or my machine?

What's DOS?
ajmitchell

Same problem.

T510 ( Win 7 Utimate ) with System Update 4.01.0015 installed.

I tried reinstalling the system update and also clearing the XML files from the session directory as previous mentioned with no luck.

This has been working in the past and is a new issue.

I tried it yesterday as well as today, so I think it must be the Lenovo server.

I also have a T60 and the system update is working correctly on that machine ( same software ).