JNavas
Accepted Solution

System Update keeps installing same package over and over

[ Edited ]

ThinkPad X220 4286CTO

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1

System Update 4.01.0015

Package: Conexant Audio Features 8.32.23.2

This seems to have started because I thought there might be a problem in this version of
the audio software, so used Windows to uninstall it, and installed an earlier version for testing.

I've now uninstalled that earlier version, and am trying to use System Update to reinstall this

later version, but it keeps doing it over and over. These additional installs do not appear in

History (see below). Things I've tried that have not helped:

1. Uninstalling and then reinstalling System Update
  2. Uninstalling and then manually installing this audio software update (8AAD10WW)

To say the least, this does not inspire confidence in System Update.

Yes, I know I could just Hide this update, but that doesn't solve the fundamental problem,

which might cause other problems in the future. What's the real solution???

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: System Update keeps installing same package over and over

hey JNavas,

now that is strange. Could you place your unit into diagnostic mode via msconfig and then do an update via System Update.

see if that works and if it doesn't and with your unit still in diagnostic mode, install the software manually. Run the System Update; is is still the same ?

also, try reinstalling System Update while the unit is in diagnostic mode.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Serge1410 wrote:
hey JNavas,
now that is strange. Could you place your unit into diagnostic mode via msconfig and then do an update via System Update.
see if that works and if it doesn't and with your unit still in diagnostic mode, install the software manually. Run the System Update; is is still the same ?
also, try reinstalling System Update while the unit is in diagnostic mode.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem workable -- in Diagnostic Mode there's no networking, which I think System Update needs. (In addition, the screen is so dim as to be nearly unusable.) I tried it anyway, but System Update just hung on the splash screen with mouse cursor spinner indefinitely. I gave up after several minutes.

I also tried Safe Mode with Networking, but the System Update splash screen just shows for a long period of time and then disappears with no main window appearing, even when I tried a 2nd and then a 3rd time in a row. So that doesn't seem to be workable either.

I've removed Conexant Audio Features 8.32.23.2, and will try installing it manually in Safe (not Diagnostic) Mode,

and will report back if that helps System Update. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try.

UPDATE1: No joy: System Update installed Conexant Audio Features 8.32.23.2, and after reboot offered it again.

See below. What's curious is that it's offered (and installed) the first time as a Recommended update,

and from then on as an Optional update with the same version number.

UPDATE2: Tried uninstalling and then reinstalling System Update again, but that didn't help either.

FWIW, I'm guessing this is as much a catalog problem as a System Update problem.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Ah-ha!

I have the same problem too (see photo below), which leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with either your computer or mine, the problem most likely lies with the way that one particular file update has been configured at the Lenovo end of things - in other words, the TVSU manifest for that particular update has a typing error or similar in it, and it is not recognizing that we already have the most current file (identified by the version number) installed in our computers.

So, my personal take on this is 'let's just ignore it', and my guess is that someone who works in the TVSU section of Lenovo will notice this error and fix it sometime in the next week.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Punch Card
GRhame

Same problem here. Tried uninstalling the conexant driver and reinstalling via System Update. No joy. It's still trying to install the same version that's already installed.

I think we should just ignore the problem for a week or two, someone at Lenovo will probably spot it and correct it... then the problem will 'disappear' by itself, never to be seen again... 

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]

Thanks for reporting the problem.  It's still not fixed, so I'll ask the support team to look into it. 

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

The problem has been found.  It was an error in the descriptor file for this driver update.  An update has already been made and should be published in the next day or so.  When that happens, this driver update should simply not show up in the search results when you already have it installed.  Sorry for the confusion.

Punch Card
nicbex

I have the same problem with Thinkpad Power management 3.64 from 3.62 and Conexant Audio features, although mine is not reporting the same version. It's reporting as me having the old one, but I update, everything goes as it should (atleast seems so), it asks me to reboot and then when I'm back in update I still have the same version and the updates are still prompted.

X220

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

parkerjnc wrote:

The problem has been found...

Hi Parker:

Thanks very much for getting back to us (the forum participants) and 'closing the loop' on this story.

Michael