Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
bylund

System Update question

I run ThinkVantage System Update regularly, but I have noticed that it somehow does not suggest quite a lot of updates that are available on the Lenovo.com web site. For instance, I received an error report this morning from the Windows 7 Action Center that the ThinkVantage Communications Utility had failed and that a solution was available - with a link direclty to the update on lenovo.com. It was fully applicable to my system, x201i cto with Win7 x64. Well, I ran System Update just before I got the error report, and TVSU notified me that there are no updates applicable to my system.

Likewise, I know that I am not running the latest version of the fingerprint software: I have 5.9.3 installed, but 5.9.5 is available on lenovo.com. In fact, there are quite a few new drivers, software, and updated tools available on lenovo.com that are applicable on my system - but none of them show up in TVSU (I do have the latest version of it, though).

So what does this mean? Does it mean that I should not install these updates despite their being applicable? Is it an error or overlooked feature in TVSU? Could it be problematic to install the updates on lenovo.com that are marked applicable on my system? I mean, why does TVSU not notify me of these available updates?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: System Update question

Most likely it means there are problems in the TVSU catalog that determines which updates apply to which systems.  We have been having lots of problems like that recently.  Can you please post your MTM (product number), and we can look into it.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page

Token Ring
bylund

Great - thanks. It is 3249 CTO, and I have the x201i variety.

Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

The TVSU catalog for that system has 98 updates in it.  What you may be experiencing is simply the lag time between web postings and availability to TVSU.  It requires more work and qualification testing to make a driver update available through TVSU.  The content team is working hard to close the gap.