Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
catman2u

Re: System Update

I just found out the "system update" service was disabled on my machine.
I enabled it, and started it. now updates are finally working!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
tmc2k

Re: System Update

I've had my R50 since before the change-over from IBM.

The system update program runs but has never one suggested or downloaded any updates. When running into problems with my TP, I've noticed that different IBM/Lenovo software programs report different system types. This prevents some of the important tools from running.

The BIOS reports my system type as 1836 3SU (which is correct)
As does the ThinkPad configurator

The IBM Access screen on boot up reports type as 0123456
As does system update (i believe, since it always reports nothing to download)
the lenovo website
The PCDoctor tool reports this as well.

of course a lot of the tools need this number to search on.

How do I fix it so that these items are correct?

Thanks
Ctrl-Alt-Del
tmc2k

Re: System Update help?

Bump! Can anyone help with this?
Lenovo Staff
bloo

The best place to start is making sure the BIOS is up to date.  That'll ensure both Think and Lenovo/IBM/whatever strings are in the BIOS.  Since TVSU isn't seeing it, I'd recommend downloading it manually :smileywink:

You can also check to make sure TVSU is sending the right data by looking in the registry.  (Disclaimer: messing around in the registry can be dangerous, yadda yadda yadda, be careful)  What TVSU thinks your system is can be found in HKLM\Software\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UCSettings\Runtime.  Check the MTM key.

Also, for fun, check the Vendor key under HKLM\Software\Lenovo\System Update.

Hope that helps.
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
tmc2k

I did some snooping around. I think there's a bug in System Update.

My Bios reports my TP at 3.19. I'll update this now but the behaivor I'm seeing is a bit wierd. One problem is that my embedded controller version was at 2.04. I've updated that. The BIOS does report the correct machine type. So does the ThinkPad Configurator. So these are reading something different than System Update.

At some point, System Update just took over the whole version process. And I got stuck with mismatched versions of system files. And I haven't had it update any files for more than a year. I did find one problem with SU.

OBSERVED PROBLEM:
SU obviously records the system type in some other file. I chaned the Runtime/MTM registry setting listed in the previous post. I then ran SU. It gets to about 10% and says "no updates for you" just like it has for the past year or so. Ok fine. BUT, when i close SU, it actually REWRITES the registry setting back to '0123456'. That seems like a bug.

I did the same thing with PC Doctor. PC Doctor is reading the system type from where ever SU does (not Bios, Not registry). But PC Doctor does not rewrite the registry entry.

So changing the registry value for SU has no effect.  Now onto updating the BIOS manually to see what happens.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
tmc2k

Thanks for the info.
There are probably a lot of people in the same state with no idea.

I'm now downloading updates for the past two years. The upgrade to current BIOS didn't do it by itself. I had to go back in afterwards and re-set the machine type. Now SU recognizes my correct system type.

Thanks again.
Paper Tape
zappelphillip

Hallo,
I read in the lenovo forum that you solved the problem with the wrong maschine type.
I have a tp r50 and the mentioned problem. The BIOS shows the right serialnumber and modeltype.
Because my english isn´t as good as i wish, i have some problems to understand that you did to solve the 0123456 problem.
Please explain once more that you did.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
tmc2k

1st you have to manually download and install the latest BIOS which I'll assume you know how to do.
Then you have to run that same BIOS setup app and this time pick the option to change machine type.
follow the steps in doing that and everything should work when you reboot. I assume you know your machine type.

Paper Tape
zappelphillip

Thank you for the fast reply. It works fine.

Thanks a lot.
If you have no concerns I will forward this answer into the german forum. I was looking for ages for an answer to this problem.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
tmc2k

Share with everyone!
You are welcome