Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Burd
Accepted Solution

T400s --Strange Client Security Solutions behavior / shutdown

I just had an unusual and unexpected incident involving the Client Security Solution (8.21) running on my T400s (Vista Professional 64), and I'd like to know what happened and if anything I did caused it.    It unfolded so quickly that the details are kind of a blur, and I don't know how to (or even if I should) try to recreate it, so I will describe what happened as best as I remember in hopes that someone might be able to eplain the behavior.

I was trying to free up disk space on the T400s and had the Vista  "Disk Cleanup" open.  I chose some files to delete and confirmed the delete operation, then... the next thing I remember a window popped up with a progress bar that said something like "Client Security Solution is configuring updates" followed by the progress bar filling in and then a prompt which said something like "Shutdown is required to complete the update" (or something like that).  Strange, since I don't have automatic updates enabled-- just automatic notification; and I hadn't initated a search for any updates recently  (though the machine is current on Vista updates, Windows Defender updates, and virus signatures).

Anyway, as I recall (the exact details are a blur since this only happened once) I allowed the shutdown and then-- the screen instantly went black, I heard several beeps from the speaker... possibly in a  pattern like 1 beep followed by a pause and 4 more beeps, and the machine competely powered off.  Not a single indicator (internal or external) was lit, though the machine was on AC power with a charged battery. Not even the fingerprint scanner was lit. 

Pushing the power button had no effect.  Swiping the (unlit) fingerprint scanner had no effect.  I have never seen the machine look so utterly dead since I powered it on for the very first time.  It appeared as if a catastrophic hardware failure had killed the machine.

Not expecting it to accomplish anything, I held the power on pushbutton down for several seconds (as you would do if the machine had an operating system hang).   Voila... the indicator lit up, fingerprint scanner lit up (as I recall), I scanned and Vista started up normally as if nothing happened.  Client Security Solution continues to function normally (the password fillin application is the only function I use)

But, what did happen?   I don't see anything that has changed. CSS reports its version as 8.21.0006.00, which is unchanged as far as I know. If I hadn't run a complete virus scan just several hours prior (by coincidence) I would have sworn there was a rogue application that had bricked my machine.  Is this normal behavior, and if so, what prompted it?

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: T400s --Strange Client Security Solutions behavior / shutdown

Hi,
based on your description I suggest follwoing:
- in case you have CSS configured for certain applicaitons to start via finger swipe <configuration, where you replaced the typing of the password with your FPR swipe> then I assume, that during the "cleanup phase", Vista deleted also certain files, that are required for the correct configuration of the finger swipe, so that ceratin applications can start. And this was the trigger. CSS detected, that this file is no longer awailable and since he is using a bacpuk, CSS needed to restore the configuration files, so that it can work correctly. However, this situaiton triggered CSS to reboot the machine, so that the changes will work correctly.

This is my assumption, what probably caused the situation, so that the system turn off.

However, the situation, where you could not start this system. Hmmmmm, that seems prety strange.
In this case I can only imagine, that the reboot, or the shutdown command somehow went not corect and the system accidentelly started into Hybernation state and the system freezed.

Althought this is realy just my assumption, it does not need to be exactly this situation.
I would suggest, that the first part might be partly correct, but with the second part I'm realy not sure. I would need to see it and debug the machine, so that I can say exactly what happened.

Do you think, that this might fit your situation? 

Rgrds

Punch Card
Burd

What you have described does sound reasonable, and is probably the trigger for the shutdown, as files were being deleted by the disk cleanup.  I do have CSS set to automatically enter passwords for certain applications.   Probably something did hang in the shutdown process;  maybe the sequence of beeps was a hardware error indication.   Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

thanks for partly confirmation.

I also think, that this might be the point.

However, in case you see this again, please udpate this topic, with more details and I'll try to cehck in here what might be wrong :smileywink:

Cheers.