Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
drixomanbeta

T500 XP Pro Fingerprint Driver

I noticed that there seem to be two set of package for the Fingerprint reader in Thinkpads. One has the label of something like ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software and the other which apply to me is the Lenovo Fingerprint Software. Why the difference? I know there's two maker, AuthenTec and UPEK, but they have "merged" as of now it seems. I actually did try to use the ThinkVantage one but clearly it wouldn't detect my AuthenTec reader. I am just wondering why couldn't Lenovo just combine them together?  And while I'm at it, it seems that the ThinkVantage one (which I would think use UPEK reader) has more options in its setting.

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: T500 XP Pro Fingerprint Driver

The ThinkPad T400/T500/R400R500/X200/W500/W700 generation systems (from 2008) used an Authentec fingerprint reader.  The software for that particular hardware is called "Lenovo Fingerprint Software".

All other ThinkPads, from before and after that generation of ThinkPads, uses a UPEK fingerprint reader.  The software for that particular hardware is called "ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software".

It is true that UPEK and Authentec merged as of last year, but this does not change the fact that the hardware from the 2008 ThinkPads is different, and needs different software to support it.

Serial Port
drixomanbeta

Re: T500 XP Pro Fingerprint Driver

It's just that I been looking through the UPEK's Fingerprint software and there seem to be a lot more modification ability to it than the Authentec one, which seem like simplified and some of the advanced administrative control I can find in the UPEK/ThinkVantage one can't be found there. I don't really need those extra function. But I'm just wondering if there are any hidden function (perhaps some more cmd based control) to the Authentec one that didn't get visibility through the GUI.

Thanks.