Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
autopatch
Accepted Solution

T60p: Wireless no longer associates after upgrade to ACCON 5.30

[ Edited ]

After applying the most recent updates last night using Thinkvantage System Update, my wireless no longer connects to any wireless network and remains in "Waiting for association" stage.

On the network that is uses LEAP authentication, first "Waiting for assocation" fails with a red x, then Waiting for Authenication also eventually fails with a red X.

The network card in the machine is the 11/a/b/g, but I notice that Lenovo has replaced that driver with a 11/a/b/g/n and the old version of the driver is no longer available for download.

Has anyone else had this problem and how have you solved it?

Thanks!

---------------------

Update: I have followed the recommended procedure of uninstalling the Power Management, Thinkpad Keyboard Customizer, the WLAN and Access Connections and then reinstalling each in the order listed.

This has had no effect and the problem is still occuring. I am still unable to associate to a wireless network.

Message Edited by autopatch on 06-16-2009 01:56 PM
Fanfold Paper
autopatch

Re: T60p: Wireless no longer associates after upgrade to ACCON 5.30

Is there someone from the support team that I can send a log file to to assist in troubleshooting this issue?

As an alternative, where can I get the prior version of this driver so that I can downgrade and get my wireless working again?

Fanfold Paper
autopatch

After trying many different versions of the wireless driver with Access Connections 5.3, I was unsuccessful in getting my wireless to associate in a LEAP evironment. I still don't know what the cause of the original problem is. I doubt that I will try again until a new wireless driver and Access Connections 5.4 is released.

In order to resolve the problem I downgraded my driver to 5.3.0.85 and downgraded Access Connections to 5.02 and my wireless is working again flawlessly. No other settings were changed on the machine or on the wireless network.

My suggestion for anyone from the Lenovo Support team who may be reading this forum is to make at least the two prior versions of your drivers on a rolling basis available on your website. It took me several hours to search the web for an alternate source for the prior version 11/a/b/g driver install package I shouldn't have to take the tampering risk on a third party source just to get my machine working again.

Fanfold Paper
jmshel

I had the same problem.  After many tries at fixing it, I uninstalled ACCON 5.3.  I then enabled Windows' "Wireless Zero Configuration" and used Windows to set up the wireless connectin and connect to my wireless network.  After I checked that I had a good wireless connection, I reinstalled ACCON 5.3, disabled Wireless Zero Configuration.  Access Connections now seems to be working fine now.  - Jim
Fanfold Paper
autopatch

Jim -

What version of the wireless driver are you using? I'm currently stable with ACCON 5.3 and Wireless LAN 5.3.0.85 and have not wanted to take the risk on changing my configuration just yet.

I notice that the latest version of the wireless driver is 7.6.1.184; as near as I can tell the latest version published on TVSU when I was going through these problems in June was 7.4.2.134.

Does anyone know if it is safe to install 7.6.1.184?

Fanfold Paper
jmshel

I'm using 7.6.1.184  - Jim

Fanfold Paper
autopatch

Jim -

Thanks for your post.

As an experiment, I tried to upgrade today to 7.6.1.184 using TVSU without first uninstalling ACCON 5.3. I again experienced the same problems that I had previously with failure to associate to the selected wireless network.

Following Jim's suggestion, I uninstalled ACCON 5.3 leaving the profiles in place; rebooted; connected with Windows Wireless Zero Configuration; ran TVSU; it detected the need for and installed ACCON 5.3, rebooted; ACCON 5.3 did not connect to the selected network automatically, but was able to connect when I selected the connection from the ACCON Tray Menu.

While I've never had to do this before with prior versions of Access Connections, it appears that the procedure needs to be to uninstall Access Connections prior to upgrading the wireless drivers and then reinstall Access Connections.

I'm hoping that there will be some discussion of this and the fix for it in the release notes to Access Connections 5.4

Thanks, Jim.