Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
JNavas
Accepted Solution

TV Toolbox update failed (and other TV issues) NOT GOOD

This morning the automatic TV Toolbox update failed -- kept getting Stopped Working errors from Windows.

Finally gave up and uninstalled it (6.0.5849.23). Not good.

Tried TVSU to reinstall TV Toolbox, but it wasn't offered. Not good.

So launched "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools". Took forever to load. Not good.

It did offer to install TV Toolbox, but installed an earlier version (6.0.5717.39), not the latest version. Not good.

When I launched TV Toolbox again, automatic update was offered again. This time I closed TV Toolbox before clicking Install (which I hadn't done the first time), and the update succeeded.

When launched, TV Toolbox was painfully slow to finish loading. Not good.

Time wasted: 45 minutes. Likelihood of my clients being able to cope with this: zero. Not good.

All in all a sorry experience. TV tools should be bulletproof and fast.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

Re: TV Toolbox update failed (and other TV issues) NOT GOOD

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

This morning the automatic TV Toolbox update failed -- kept getting Stopped Working errors from Windows.

Finally gave up and uninstalled it (6.0.5849.23). Not good.

Tried TVSU to reinstall TV Toolbox, but it wasn't offered. Not good.

So launched "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools". Took forever to load. Not good.

It did offer to install TV Toolbox, but installed an earlier version (6.0.5717.39), not the latest version. Not good.

When I launched TV Toolbox again, automatic update was offered again. This time I closed TV Toolbox before clicking Install (which I hadn't done the first time), and the update succeeded.

When launched, TV Toolbox was painfully slow to finish loading. Not good.

Time wasted: 45 minutes. Likelihood of my clients being able to cope with this: zero. Not good.

All in all a sorry experience. TV tools should be bulletproof and fast.

TV Toolbox is still crashing:

Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	pcdrcui.exe
  Application Version:	6.0.5849.23
  Application Timestamp:	4e089982
  Fault Module Name:	KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.17625
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4de88429
  Exception Code:	c0020001
  Exception Offset:	000000000000cacd
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033

Need I say this is unacceptable?! Now what?

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

Re: TV Toolbox update failed (and other TV issues) NOT GOOD

Is there a direct download for ThinkVantage Toolbox 6.0.5849.23?

If there is, I can't find it, only a version even older than the one preloaded on my X220.

Thank you.

Hope that helps,
John
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

TV Toolbox updates - need to download alternate version

John,

Version 6.05802.24 is available on the web for download as both 32 and 64 bit versions.  By your signature, it looks like your X220 is running the 64 bit version.

Here is a link the the 64 bit version page - you might download that one and install it and see if it works better for you.

As update modules for TVSU have to be built, there is a lag between versions available through TVSU and what is available for download on the web at times.  This is more noticable for applications and drivers which may undergo frequent updates.   Additionally, depending on the impact / value of what is in some updates, the team might make a decision to skip some versions in TVSU.

I'll look into why the version on the web is not the version that was shipping as part of your pre-installed image on the X220.  I appreciate your noting that.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: TV Toolbox updates - need to download alternate version

6.0.5849.23 is the latest version of Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools.  LTT will prompt you to update to this version, and you choose to accept the update or not.  This version is not yet available on the Lenovo support website or TVSU for direct download - I don't know what the delay is about getting the direct download links published.

As for the problem where this version of LTT crashes, I have not heard of that before.  It is working fine on 3 test systems I have here.  I searched google for "kernelbase.dll crash windows 7 64 bit" and there are lots of suggestions such as this one:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/fault-module-kernelbased...

I'm inclined to believe that the problem is somewhere other than LTT, but I don't know for sure.  More investigation is needed.

Anyone else having this problem?

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

John,

Version 6.05802.24 is available on the web for download as both 32 and 64 bit versions.  By your signature, it looks like your X220 is running the 64 bit version.

Here is a link the the 64 bit version page - you might download that one and install it and see if it works better for you.

As update modules for TVSU have to be built, there is a lag between versions available through TVSU and what is available for download on the web at times.  This is more noticable for applications and drivers which may undergo frequent updates.   Additionally, depending on the impact / value of what is in some updates, the team might make a decision to skip some versions in TVSU.

I'll look into why the version on the web is not the version that was shipping as part of your pre-installed image on the X220.  I appreciate your noting that.

Thanks, but that older version keeps nagging me to update to 6.0.5849.23, which I'm sure will just lead to crashing again.

There really needs to be a better solution.

Hope that helps,
John
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

someotherguy wrote:

6.0.5849.23 is the latest version of Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools.  LTT will prompt you to update to this version, and you choose to accept the update or not.  This version is not yet available on the Lenovo support website or TVSU for direct download - I don't know what the delay is about getting the direct download links published.

As for the problem where this version of LTT crashes, I have not heard of that before.  It is working fine on 3 test systems I have here.  I searched google for "kernelbase.dll crash windows 7 64 bit" and there are lots of suggestions such as this one:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/fault-module-kernelbased...

I'm inclined to believe that the problem is somewhere other than LTT, but I don't know for sure.  More investigation is needed.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thank you, but:

1. LTT will keep nagging on the update.

2. I'm evaluating the X220 for volume purchase, and I can't recommend a system that keeps nagging and/or can't be updated without crashing.

3. It's possible that a corrupted Profile is contributing to the problem -- I've had to manually migrate after installing an mSATA SSD (guide and/or tools badly needed!) -- but only the latest version of LTT is crashing -- nothing else (including earlier versions of LTT) is crashing.

4. LTT update and LTT itself shouldn't be crashing in any event, because that obviates much of its basic purpose.

Hope that helps,
John
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

JNavas,

If you don't want automatic LTT updates, what you can do is modify the registry at "HKLM\Software\PC-Doctor\Updates".  You should see a value called "user_allows_automatic_application_updates".  Change it to "false" if you don't want to update and don't want to see the update nag.

As for LTT crashing, did you try the tips on the web about fixing the profile corruption?  Did they work?  For example if you create a new user, and log in as that user, does LTT crash for that user?

If you need help migrating from HDD to mSATA, there are lots of posts right here on this forum about how to do that, and dozens of people (including myself) who have successfully done it.  Lenovo has (or will soon have) configurations you can order with mSATA + HDD where the preloaded OS is on the mSATA device.  But if you order an HDD-only system and later add mSATA and want to migrate your OS to that device, you're on your own with that.  Lenovo won't help you do it, but as I said there are lots of people doing it successfully and help is just a forum search away.

Hope this helps.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

someotherguy wrote:

JNavas,

If you don't want automatic LTT updates, what you can do is modify the registry at "HKLM\Software\PC-Doctor\Updates".  You should see a value called "user_allows_automatic_application_updates".  Change it to "false" if you don't want to update and don't want to see the update nag.

As for LTT crashing, did you try the tips on the web about fixing the profile corruption?  Did they work?  For example if you create a new user, and log in as that user, does LTT crash for that user?

If you need help migrating from HDD to mSATA, there are lots of posts right here on this forum about how to do that, and dozens of people (including myself) who have successfully done it.  Lenovo has (or will soon have) configurations you can order with mSATA + HDD where the preloaded OS is on the mSATA device.  But if you order an HDD-only system and later add mSATA and want to migrate your OS to that device, you're on your own with that.  Lenovo won't help you do it, but as I said there are lots of people doing it successfully and help is just a forum search away.

Hope this helps.

someotherguy,

Thanks sincerely for trying to help. However:

1. I'm evaluating the X220 for volume purchase clients, for whom registry hack (and Profile rebuild) work-arounds are not acceptable. "Allow Automatic Updates" should be a user friendly LTT configuration setting.

2. What my clients "don't want" is for important applications to crash.

3. The LTT Updater crash is a clear fault that needs to be corrected.

4. That only the latest version of LTT crashes, not earlier ones, nor any other software, points to a fault in the latest version of LTT, not something else.

5. LTT should not crash even if the Profile is corrupted.

6. LTT is a nice idea, but bloated and slow (like some other TV tools). Now it's unstable as well.

7. The X220 would have been ordered with an mSATA SSD had that option been available. It wasn't.

8. "Lenovo won't help you" (with mSATA SSD + HDD configuration) is a good way to fail my evaluation and lose the volume purchase opportunity.

9. I'm happy to help Lenovo troubleshoot problems, but only if Lenovo is serious about correcting them.

10. Because I cannot count on Lenovo to respond to Forum postings, I'll now be directing my issues to Support.

I'm not looking for peer-to-peer help -- I'm determining whether or not the X220 satisfies our volume purchase requirements.

Thus far it's looking like a very promising product that isn't quite ready for prime time.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps,
John
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

JNavas,

I'm trying to help but it seems like you are not open to suggestions.  If you change your mind, I'm here.  Good luck with your evaluation.