Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: TV Toolbox updates - need to download alternate version

[ Edited ]

John,

I appreciate all your points and agree that things should just work.

That said, while I agree that if other versions run and one does not, it might suggest there is a problem with that particular version.  It could also be that there is an incompatibilty with something else in your config and that particular version.  

Often the forum is helpful in having others join in and then we can better see what the common factors are - if that version faults for multiple other customers, or not.

I'd like to clarify the "won't support" statement  regarding the mSATA element above.  There are cases where Lenovo offers a particular config now or at a future time and invests in testing to be able to support that offering - by ensuring the drivers all work, the preload is optimized, and that technical support teams are working from a proven scenario - that it "will" work, and if it doesn't, then there is escalation recourse available to resolve.    When 3rd party parts are installed, we are in an area where it "should" work, but we have not fully tested, optimized, or are ready to support with an escalation path and resource up through development.   These may be outside the scope of support.   We will try to help, offer suggestions, but there will be limits to how far we may be able to go.

Edit - to clarify on the mSATA just a bit further.  There are two aspects of support there.

1) Hardware support - and in context, that was the crux of my comments above - that with the new BIOS, it should work (and obviously does) but we may be limited in how far we could go supporting the 3rd party devices.

2) Support for migrating the OS from existing HDD to mSATA as supported mSATA configs from Lenovo would already have the data on the drive.   This might be outside the normal support scope as it is more a "how to" rather than a defect / warranty item.   

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

John,

I appreciate all your points and agree that things should just work.

That said, while I agree that if other versions run and one does not, it might suggest there is a problem with that particular version.  It could also be that there is an incompatibilty with something else in your config and that particular version.  

Often the forum is helpful in having others join in and then we can better see what the common factors are - if that version faults for multiple other customers, or not.

[SNIP]

Thank you.

Indeed there could be a number of possible causes, but the fact that no other software is crashing (including earlier versions of LTT), just (a) LTT Updater, and (b) latest version of LTT, strongly suggests there is some sort of fault in the latest version of LTT, and based on my long professional experience in software, that's where I would start looking. How much time must I first spend on checking my profile, for which there is no real evidence of corruption? I'm reminded of the old advice to "reinstall Windows" when anything went wrong. :smileywink:

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

John,

I'd like to clarify the "won't support" statement  regarding the mSATA element above.  There are cases where Lenovo offers a particular config now or at a future time and invests in testing to be able to support that offering - by ensuring the drivers all work, the preload is optimized, and that technical support teams are working from a proven scenario - that it "will" work, and if it doesn't, then there is escalation recourse available to resolve.    When 3rd party parts are installed, we are in an area where it "should" work, but we have not fully tested, optimized, or are ready to support with an escalation path and resource up through development.   These may be outside the scope of support.   We will try to help, offer suggestions, but there will be limits to how far we may be able to go.

Edit - to clarify on the mSATA just a bit further.  There are two aspects of support there.

1) Hardware support - and in context, that was the crux of my comments above - that with the new BIOS, it should work (and obviously does) but we may be limited in how far we could go supporting the 3rd party devices.

2) Support for migrating the OS from existing HDD to mSATA as supported mSATA configs from Lenovo would already have the data on the drive.   This might be outside the normal support scope as it is more a "how to" rather than a defect / warranty item.  

Thank you. To be fair, I'm making a number of assumptions here:

1. That Lenovo is not currently selling mSATA SSD only due to supply shortages.

2. That Lenovo will eventually sell mSATA SSD both in new systems and as accessories.
 3. That Lenovo will probably sell the same Intel mSATA SSD that I've added to my X220 (a main reason I selected it).

4. That Lenovo will eventually sell systems with mSATA SSD for OS and HDD for data.

5. That Lenovo will support Recovery Partition on HDD to free up precious space on mSATA SSD.

6. That ThinkVantage Tools like Rescue and Recovery are important assets both to Lenovo and to customers.

If true, I believe it reasonable to think Lenovo would be able to provide the information I've asked for.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

John,

Version 6.05802.24 is available on the web for download as both 32 and 64 bit versions.  By your signature, it looks like your X220 is running the 64 bit version.

Here is a link the the 64 bit version page - you might download that one and install it and see if it works better for you.

As update modules for TVSU have to be built, there is a lag between versions available through TVSU and what is available for download on the web at times.  This is more noticable for applications and drivers which may undergo frequent updates.   Additionally, depending on the impact / value of what is in some updates, the team might make a decision to skip some versions in TVSU.

I'll look into why the version on the web is not the version that was shipping as part of your pre-installed image on the X220.  I appreciate your noting that.

Thanks, but that older version keeps nagging me to update to 6.0.5849.23, which I'm sure will just lead to crashing again.

There really needs to be a better solution.

I decided to test letting the version you kindly pointed me to update itself.

This time the update went smoothly, and the new version of LTT appears to be working properly.

This suggests:

1. That Profile corruption was not an issue, as I've maintained all along.

2. That something else caused the failures, possibly the LTT Updater included in the X220 preload.

I hope this information will help Lenovo track down and correct the problem.

Thank you.

Hope that helps,
John
What's DOS?
Homie

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

my situation is related to this thread I found on my search to this "phenomenon".

I have a ThinkPad L512, and sit next to a ThinkPad L412 of a customer.

On the L412 I updated several things and the ThinkVantage Updater popped out and said me there is an update to 6.0.5849.23 , wich looks much better then the 6.0.5802.25 on my L512.

And now I'm wondering why I can't update MY 6.0.5849.23 on my L512 to this one :smileysurprised:

I searched and tried, but nothing ... No newer version, no updater pops out in my notebook, and LTT_Downloader said also "No update available." or something (I'm from Germany). On the Driver&Software page is 6.0.5802.24 the latest version you can find :/ ?!?!?! (How can exist a newer version than the latest :smileyvery-happy: )

But on the other hand: On the ThinkVantage page of Lenovo IS a picture of the newer one ! *confused*

So can anyone tell me, what I can do to update it to the higher version 6.0.5802.25 or later ?!

Greetings from Berlin

Homie (Daniel)

Ctrl-Alt-Del
LeoB

I'm having the exact same problem with an X301 Windows 7 32-bit version (OEM, not update).  I uninstalled the updated version (6.0.5849.23) and found the original version (6.0.5802.24) and installed it and it works fine.

The odd thing with the update is that the Toolbox would originally run and only when it would fully load and show all pertinent information would the pop-up box appear that it had stopped working.  HOWEVER, if I moved that pop-up box to the side, the Toolbox continued to work fine.

YEESH.  Wouldn't ya think that Lenovoa could get the Toolbox right!

Leo

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Leo,

Thank you for reporting the issue.  I wish I could reproduce the issue here, then I'm certain we could fix it and get a new version out ASAP.  Is there anything more you can tell me about your system, or configuration, that might have something to do with the error you are seeing?

802.11n
JNavas

LeoB wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with an X301 Windows 7 32-bit version (OEM, not update).  I uninstalled the updated version (6.0.5849.23) and found the original version (6.0.5802.24) and installed it and it works fine.

The odd thing with the update is that the Toolbox would originally run and only when it would fully load and show all pertinent information would the pop-up box appear that it had stopped working.  HOWEVER, if I moved that pop-up box to the side, the Toolbox continued to work fine.

YEESH.  Wouldn't ya think that Lenovoa could get the Toolbox right!

Leo

See http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/TV-Toolbox-update-failed-and-other-TV-issues-N...

Hope that helps,
John
Ctrl-Alt-Del
LeoB

This is what appears on the pop-up screen: Description: Stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: pcdrcui.exe Problem Signature 02: 6.0.5849.23 Problem Signature 03: 4e08a551 Problem Signature 04: mscorlib Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0 Problem Signature 06: 4d8cdd0e Problem Signature 07: f50 Problem Signature 08: 7 Problem Signature 09: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 I had uninstalled and reinstalled twice with the exact same results. The toolbox works fine as long as the pop-up screen isn't closed. This X301 has been very lightly used since bought new and really is just a travel laptop. Except for the Win7 OS, the only other things on it are MS Office and Adobe Acrobat. Thanks
Ctrl-Alt-Del
LeoB

John: This is a link back to this same thread. Is there something else? Thanks