Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
dutch55

ThinkVantage Access Connections Erratic Behavior When Connecting to New Access Point

When I take my Thinkpad X200s to a new location and attempt to connect to an access point for the first time, I often observe some or all of these symptoms:

- high CPU consumption (30+%)

- high number of I/Os (e.g. millions) by AcSvc.exe

- high number of page faults (bursts exceeding 1500 per second)

- ThinkVantage Power gadget in the Taskrar sporadically disappears and reappears

- Clicking on the Access Connections Taskbar gadget does nothing for up to a minute or so

- Clicking on the  Start menu button or other applications on the taskbar does nothing up to a minute or so

This occurs with a Intel 5300 AGN WiFi adapter with driver version 13.1.1.1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, all curent Microsoft updates and Access Connections 5.3.0.0.  I also have Microsoft Security Essentials installed.

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

Re: ThinkVantage Access Connections Erratic Behavior When Connecting to New Access Point

dutch55 wrote:

Access Connections 5.3.0.0. 

The curent release of Access Connections is 5.61, so you might want to try updating to that release.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: ThinkVantage Access Connections Erratic Behavior When Connecting to New Access Point

Hi,

and of course, when you upgrade Access Connection, then also upgrade this apps/drivers too:

Power management driver

Power Manager

System interface driver

Hotkey utility

Let us know, your result

Cheers

Punch Card
dutch55

Thanks for politely pointing out my embarrasing rookie mistake.

Everything else was updated before I installed 5.61.  Have not tested under the conditions where it failed with first encounter with a new AP, but am looking forward to it with hope.

dutch55

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

please let me know any update, so that I can continue checking this post.

Cheers

Punch Card
dutch55

Herik,

Thanks for encouraging me to follow up.

I installed Access Connections 5.61 and experienced similar behavior to what I had seen with the previous version while trying to connect to an access point I hadn't used in about 5 months.  My prior post said it happened when I connected to a new access point, but in this case I had a profile for the access point, but I hadnt been near it since 2009.

I immediately uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials since it was exhibiting high CPU and high page fault rate.  Still could not connect or launch the start menu or other open applications from the task bar. 

Access Connection Service was consuming 20% to 30% of the CPU.  After considerable time (maybe a minute or more)  the menus popped up and flashed as if interrupts from my keyboard strokes had been masked but queued up.  Then I was able to get it to connect.

dutch

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

the part with the "flashing" looks strange.
However, can you tell me , if now the connection is working fine for you? Just that I'm sure, that this one if working fine.

You know, the first thing, that came to my mind, when I was readin the part with the flashing GUI was .NET 3.5SP1, whisch might not be installed. So just try to install it.

Let me know if you can connect now properly also without the "flahsing" of the AC GUI.

Cheers