Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mike_z

ThinkVantage Access Connections - High CPU and frequent crashing

Hello!

I am using ThinkVantage Access Connections on my X200, running on XP 32 bit.

The process "ACSVC.exe" is sitting at 50% of the CPU (i.e. using all of one core of the CPU) for most of the time. Not immediately after booting... but usually within 20 minutes of booting it gets like that.

I have upgraded to the latest version, 5.33, and see the same behaviour.

Other symptoms of the problem are that ACSVC.exe frequently crashes (about once a day), and also the Access Connections icon can often be incredibly deathly slow.... taking as long as 90 seconds or more to respond to a mouse click. As it takes 3 clicks to connect ot a network, that's horribly painful.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  I have googled and search this forum extensively, but all the suggestions I have found so far relate to memory leaks on old versions of Access Connections.  I am not seeing anything like a memory leak.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mike_z

Re: ThinkVantage Access Connections - High CPU and frequent crashing

Hello again everyone...

I would like to open a ticket with Lenovo about this... but their ESC tool seems to only accept requests for repairs to hardware. Any other suggestions on how to get support?

The ACSVC.exe program is constantly maxing out one core of the CPU.   :smileysad:

Cheers,

Mike

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mike_z

Bump...

I hope someone can help on this.... I really don't want to have to stop using Access Connections.  :smileysad:

Serial Port
butre

hi

i had a similar issue on vista with access connections, i downgraded all the way down to version 4.52 i believe and this solved the issue. (not sure if 5.33 locations are compatible with version 4.x so you might have to recreate them)

or it might be worthwhile completely removing your access connection installation (backup your profile) and reboot and start from scratch if you have not done so already.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mike_z

Thanks for the idea butre.  I will try that in the next day or two.

Annoying to have to go so far back to get it working properly. I'm surprised there don't seem to be a lot of other people seeing this issue, given that everyone here is running fairly similar hardware.  Perhaps it's a software conflict. I have tried disabling my anti-virus, but it didn't make any difference.

At the moment I'm experimenting with just using the Windows connections for my 3G access - i.e. disabling the Access Connections service entirely.  However I've found that without ACSVC.exe running, I can't press FN-F5 to get the dialog for turning radios on and off individually. Also, Windows won't recognise that the 3G radio is turned on, unless ACSVC.exe runs (even if just for a minute).

Ah well.... perhaps a future version of Access Connections will magically fix the problem.   I've been unable to figure out how to log a ticket with Lenovo on the issue, their ticket system seems oriented to just hardware.

Thanks,

Mike

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mike_z

Well, after weeks of being endlessly frustrated with Access Connections, I have finally just given up and permanently uninstalled it. It's a shame really - it seems like quite a useful utility for someone that travels a lot like myself. I just couldn't take it anymore with the insanely sluggish response, repeated crashes and CPU hogging, battery wasting behaviour. Grrr! Perhaps I will try it again if a new version is released that claims to have fixed the problem... but until then I'm just going to have to use the basic Windows functionality instead. Good luck to anyone else that sees this problem. Cheers, Mike
Serial Port
mudtoe

This problem has to do with the number of wireless connections you have setup.  AC works in conjunction with wireless networking, at least in Vista and Windows 7 it does, and every wireless connection you have in AC is also in Windows Wireless connections (I think AC actually uses the Windows Wireless service to maintain the entries and just puts a new facade on the same data).  In any event AC doesn't give you the option to control two important settings, "Connect automatically when this network is in range", and "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)".  Both of these options are turned on by default when AC creates a new entry, and are possibly turned back on when you modify an entry using AC.  The effect is that the more entries you create with these settings the slower AC gets and the more CPU it and it's associated service use.  I suspect the CPU is being used to try to perform the automatic connection to all the entries marked as such, and even worse if the second option is enabled then the connection attemps happen all the time because you have asked it to connect even if i doesn't see the SSID, which means it has to do it all the time. 

The correction is to go into the windows wireless network settings (control panel, Network and Sharing, Manage Wireless networks), right click each entry, do properties, and uncheck both options.  You might consider having just the "connect automatically" option set for one or two wireless networks that you connect to all the time,  as having it on just a couple of entries doesn't seem to cause much problem; however, you should not have the second option checked for any entries unless you are absolutely certain that you need to connect to a WAP that isn't broadcasting its SSID.  I think that the latter option is the worse of the two regarding hurting the performance of AC and running up the CPU usage. 

After doing this the slowness of AC and excessive CPU usage should be aleviated.

mudtoe

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mike_z

Thanks mudtoe for that insight. 

Having uninstalled TVAC, I cannot test your suggestion.  However the symptoms sound like a match.  I had perhaps 20 to 30 wireless networks in the list, with 1 or 2 of them set to always connect, and one set to connect even without an SSID being broadcast.

Hopefully your suggestion is useful to someone else with similar issues.  If I ever take the time to try out TVAC again in the future I'll keep this in mind and configure it accordingly.

Cheers!

Mike

What's DOS?
matthartle

Thanks much mudtoe, this had been driving me nuts for weeks now and I followed your instructions - pared everything down a bit and now it runs much, much faster and is responsive again.

I also cleaned up my AC locations list and cleaned up my automatic location switching settings, which made it a bit easier to use and select only what I needed.

Thanks again.

What's DOS?
handy

Thanks for the information!  I had a similar problem, even when I was using a wired connection and had my wireless radio manually switched off (physical slider switch).  Access connections was continously using 10% of CPU, peaking to 50% and using at least 250 MB of RAM.   After reading this thread I started poking around and turned off the unconnected USB ethernet port on my Thinkpad port replicator through the Windows (7) Network Properties.  (I use this connection to connect to a private network only, so do not connect it at other times.)  Once the USB Ethernet was disabled, the CPU utilization by Access connections dropped to 0 and memory to 3 MB.