Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Employee
woodyy

Re: ThinkVantage Power Manager - idle time for screen brightness fixed at 1minute (very anoying)

This issue will be fixed in the release of July.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
katlani

Re: ThinkVantage Power Manager - idle time for screen brightness fixed at 1minute (very anoying)

thanks alot, does it mean we'll somehow be able to disable the PM task? so it wont re-enable itself automaticly.
Paper Tape
crispinb

Thanks. Looking forward to it.
Paper Tape
tholen

I was very interested in this update to the Power Manager because of annoying problems that I've had with the previous version.  For example, while on battery, my screen would go blank every minute, even while I was typing, and the culprit was PMTask in the Scheduled Tasks list.  Disabling it solved the problem, but only temporarily, because it would eventually reenable itself.  It was supposed to run only when the machine was idle; apparently PMTask has a different notion of "idle" that doesn't include me typing.  Also, I've had terrible problems with trying to get the processor back to full speed.  To extend battery life, I would use one of the low power consumption schemes when doing things that aren't CPU intensive.  But when I switch back to AC and select the "Maximum performance" power scheme, the best it would do is 798 MHz instead of the 2.13 GHz that the CPU is capable of doing.  I would have to reboot the machine to get it back to 2.13 GHz.

But this new version of the Power Manager is a disaster.  The first thing I noticed after installing it is that when the mouse pointer hovered over the battery gauge, the battery gauge would flicker wildly.  At the same time, the desktop icons were also flickering (on a T43p, machine type 2668-C4U).  It's not doing it now, but I'm on AC now, and the batteries are fully charged; I'll eventually replicate the conditions that caused the flickering.

Also, I can create new power schemes, but I can't select them!  Hovering the mouse pointer over the newly created power scheme will produce the faint blue highlight, but clicking on it does nothing.  I can't even select two of the built-in power schemes, namely the "Video Playback" and "Power Source Optimized" schemes.  It would appear the Lenovo spent more time redesigning the user interface than on actually testing the capabilities of the software.

And I still have the problem with being unable to get the processor back to full speed.  I can change the CPU speed to "Lowest" and get it down to 295 MHz, which saves a lot of battery power, but changing the CPU speed to "Highest" gets it up to only 798 MHz instead of the 2.13 GHz that the CPU is capable of doing.  Rebooting is the only sure cure.

Lastly, I really hate these periodic nags about how I can get my batteries back to 100% of their original full charge capacity when the solution has nothing to do with conditioning of the existing batteries, but rather by buying new batteries.  What makes it especially annoying is that Lenovo doesn't even offer replacements for the batteries I have (Ultrabay slim and the 9-cell main battery).  All they sell is the 6-cell standard main battery, which has less capacity than my "degraded" 9-cell battery.  Look, Lenovo, if you're not going to sell replacements, then stop nagging me about buying replacements with your Power Manager software.

Paper Tape
tholen

While on the subject of the Power Manager, does anybody know how to turn off a laptop display and keep it off without turning off the computer or destroying the display?  I sometimes run number crunching programs that can easily run for days, but there is no need to keep the display turned on overnight, for example.  I can press Fn+F3 and select the option to turn off the display, but it just turns itself back on some time later, possibly because the Power Manager has decided that the computer isn't idle, and the idle timer that turns off the display doesn't kick in.

3DD
Punch Card
3DD

I am running Power Manager version 2.5, and there is a "power off display" option when I right-click on the battery gauge on the taskbar. On my ThinkPad, I have it set to "do nothing" when the lid is closed, and I just close the lid (the display turns off).