Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
amsikking

ThinkVantage Power Manager - idle time for screen brightness fixed at 1minute (very anoying)

Dear all,

Please consider this problem:

I have just recieved my new X301 which I am very pleased with. However the ThinkVantage Power Manager has a very annoying bug. When creating a custom power scheme everything works as it should (as far as I can tell) except for one thing. Whilst in the "Idle timers" section the first drop down box which allows you to select the "lower display brightness" time in the "battery settings" column I find that I can select any of the options provided, i.e. "After 1 minute", "After 2 minutes", ...etc "After 45 minutes" or "Never". HOWEVER, regardless of what option I select the power manager instantly reverts back to "After 1 minute" as soon as I exit (selecting the "apply" button or the "okay" button does not help). This is incredibly anoying as it means I'm constantly harrased by the sreen changing brighness when I don't want it to OR having to set the "Lower to" setting to the same as the active screen brightness which means there are no power saving advantages at all and I get the anoying flash of the brightness bars on the screen every 60 seconds (that's 60 times in a working hour!)

I have done the following to try to resolve the problem:

1) updated the power manager to the latest verion: 1.54

2) uninstalled the power manager comletely and then reinstalled it, then applied the updates bit by bit and checking the problem at each stage

3) completely restored the entire system to factory setup (formatting the SSD and losing all data and settings...)

NONE of these options have worked. Please note that this is a brand new system out of the box... (cost 2800USD...)

Can anyone please confirm whether or not this happens on their system as well? Is it just me or is this a global problem? I've called the Lenovo ThinkVantage call centre in the US but they couldn't help.

Thanks for your help,

AMS. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
katlani

Re: ThinkVantage Power Manager - idle time for screen brightness fixed at 1minute (very anoying)

This has to do with the scheduled task PM have applied for our systems, named "PMTask".

Even if you disable the task manually, it will eventually re-enable itself after rebooting or changing between power schemes.

I have actually posted a new thread regarding this scheduled task, deleting it might do the trick though i do not realy want to do so.

- Joining this request.

Paper Tape
crispinb

Re: ThinkVantage Power Manager - idle time for screen brightness fixed at 1minute (very anoying)

[ Edited ]

This is clearly a bug in PM 1.54. I get the same thing with my old X40, Win XP, SP3. I've recently installed PM 1.54, and have the same problem. It has nothing to do with scheduled tasks, as (a) I don't have any (and don't run the Task Scheduler service on my machine), and (b) it happens immediately (ie. edits are lost as soon as I try to apply them).

Does anyone know if there is an official place to log bugs for TP software?

[edit:smileytongue:M also kicks in with the 'idle' timer while I'm working.I like its functions, but PM does seem buggy]

Message Edited by crispinb on 06-16-2009 12:36 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
katlani

as soon as i disabled the task (disabling it is impossible so i changed it from "run when idle" to "run once"), my screen no longer dims after a min when on batteries so i wouldn't know about you guys.

Paper Tape
crispinb

OK, you're right and I was wrong about the scheduled task. I didn't see PMTask at first because it's not in my normal login (it's in the admin login -- this is XP, not Vista).

Anyway, I do want the 'lower display brightness' to kick in, but in 3-5 mins, not 1min. So I adjusted the 'idle time' property of PMTask. So far this works. It's not reflected in the Power Manager GUI at all though, which is pretty stupid. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
katlani

[ Edited ]

yes but even if you do change the timing in the scheduled task itself, PM will overide it once you switch betwen power schemes (it will bounce back to 1min). - that is y it is not reflect in the PM GUI.

did u manage to get pass that? i personally prefer disabling the task by having it enabled but with status to run: never (since i've changed to "once" and in a date that have already expired), so basicly its like "disabled".

btw, this task not only messes up with the brightness but also checks the hd for activity and shuts it down accordingly... this is a waste of valueable resources if u ask me, i'll keep it disabled untill it is fixed i guess.

Message Edited by katlani on 06-16-2009 01:31 AM
Paper Tape
crispinb

I've got round that by removing everything but read and read/execute permissions, for my login user. I can always add them back if I want to change it.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but I'll live with it for now.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
katlani

i guess thats one way to go.. until they fix this version bug.

Paper Tape
rasmushn

i have administrator rights but i don't have any scheduled PM tasks...

what did you set permissions on?

Paper Tape
crispinb

In my case it wasn't in the Scheduled Tasks for my login, but in that of the Administrator. This is on Windows XP -- Vista/7 might be different.

Running 'schtasks' from the command line should show you all tasks for all users (I've always found the sched tasks GUI a bit unreliable).