Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
pcard

ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery Backup Files - Delete

I am using Windows XP SP2 and R&R v 3.1 and would like to manage the number of backup files that are being archived. The backup files are reducing the amount of free file space on my hard disk tath is reported from Windows Explorer.
Does anyone know an easy way to remove some of the backups archived?
Fanfold Paper
frontleft

Re: ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery Backup Files - Delete

Haven't tried this but it sounds promising:
RRUtil.exe > "RRUtil.exe is an administrator tool which can be used to customize parts of the Rescue and Recovery PreDesktop Area"
URL: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVAN-ADMIN.html

Alternatively*, you can delete the hidden system folder C:\RRBackups in Safe mode, but do rebuild another backup after this...

Boot into Safe Mode,
then in the Windows explorer,
go to Tools>Folder Options>View.
Select "Show hidden files and folders.
Deselect "Hide protected operating system files"
Apply. Delete contents of C:\RRBackups

* I had 70% of my 160GB hard drive utilised by the R&R backups, so I deleted all my backups instead.
*I have to do a backup now...

What's DOS?
pcard

I have now figured out how to dleete backup files from R&R3.

If you run R&R from the Productivity Center then you are not presented with the full functionality of the programme.
You must execute R&R from All Programs->Thinkvantage-Rescure and Recovery.
If you do this there is an Advanced tab which gives you the option of deleting backups.
Lenovo Staff
bloo

frontleft wrote:
Haven't tried this but it sounds promising:
RRUtil.exe > "RRUtil.exe is an administrator tool which can be used to customize parts of the Rescue and Recovery PreDesktop Area"
URL: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVAN-ADMIN.html

Alternatively*, you can delete the hidden system folder C:\RRBackups in Safe mode, but do rebuild another backup after this...

Boot into Safe Mode,
then in the Windows explorer,
go to Tools>Folder Options>View.
Select "Show hidden files and folders.
Deselect "Hide protected operating system files"
Apply. Delete contents of C:\RRBackups

* I had 70% of my 160GB hard drive utilised by the R&R backups, so I deleted all my backups instead.
*I have to do a backup now...

Be extremely careful if you do this.  The backups are tracked in other places than just the folder location on the hard drive and simply deleting them from the folder (which is not expected behavior) can cause problems.  If you opt to do this, I recommend "deleting" them again via the RnR UI to clean up references in the registry, etc.

Also, if you find your backups are taking up an unusual amount of space, be sure you're running RnR 4.2.  This version cleans up some issues with Single Instance Storage (there's a patch for it on TVSU as well) that would cause the use of excessive storage.
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Lenovo Staff
rayc_lenovo

I would recommend using the user interface provided by RnR to do the things you are requesting.

As stated in another response, if you run RnR from Start --> Programs --> ThinkVantage --> Rescue and Recovery, you will have a user interface in the advanced menu that will allow you to set the number of backups to keep, and delete backups.
If you reduce the number of backups in "Preferences"  and take a new backup, RnR will automatically do the deletes for you.

No need to try admin tools, Safe Mode, etc. 
Paper Tape
Joank31

Bless you for your response.  I really appreciate it!!!
Punch Card
jrgilman

Can you tell me what other files are kept in the RRbackups folder? I use the Client Security Solution for managing my passwords. There are no backups (that I know of) in the RRbackups folder; I do complete backups using R&R 4.2 to a bootable external harddrive. I have restore CDs if I ever wish to restore my system back to factory state.

Can I safely remove the RRbackups folder without doing damage to my Client Security Solution password data? R&R indicates there are no backups on my local harddrive.

What's DOS?
zaph_tablet

This thread has been long dead, but I stumbled across it looking for help on this issue so I'll add my two cents:

I recently installed Windows 7 on my tablet and this resulted in a huge chunk of my hard drive being 'lost' to rescue and restore recovery files. 

All disk analysis techniques were showing a 30GB+ chunk of space that was ‘unknown’ or ‘inaccessible’ (not all of which was for the restores but I was fairly certain they constituted most of it).

After reinstalling R&R, it reported 'no restores found' so I couldn't think of any action to take beyond reveling and deleting the RRBackups folder. Since this is a clean-ish windows install (installing 7 keeps most of the junk on your hard drive, just shoves your old windows and program files stuff into a windows.old folder, but in terms of registry and that sort of thing its a clean-slate) I don't think there will be any repercussions with deleting the old restore files, and I haven't seen any yet.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar bind.

Paper Tape
lubunan

[ Edited ]

Yesterday evening i have just a similar problem.

Previously XP pro is installed as default (C:\). In last monthes I have already many backups on an external USB-HD. So I have installed Windows 7 on a new partition (D:\). In XP I created a backup on the USB HD, with the option "including driver D:\" checked.

Because the backup with Windows 7 is corrupt due to some unknown reason, I could not recover from it. Finally I recovered the system from the second last backup, i.e. without windows 7.

Thus I don't need the very last backup, which has also taken much HD space away. I would really like to delete it.

But as I entered preboot ThinkVantage Technology Space to delete the last backup, I saw no files there. Because only a list of local backups might been displayed, but I have not saved my backups locally. The external USB-HD, which holds all my backups, is not even displayed there.

Can any one help me?

Thanks in advance!

Paper Tape
lubunan

I 've googled out some stuffs:

Some one said:

"My problem is the older backup files which are on a different external disk. That older backup was made by the previous version of R&R. I would like to delete those superseded backup files. Unfortunately, the current R&R version doesn't even see the older backup files, so I can't use the R&R built-in delete backups function."

It is interesting, a version of R&R cannot recognize the backups made with a different (early or later) version, especially as the backups reside on an external drive.

I hope some one from lenovo explain us this phenom and present any solution.

A nice weekend!