Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: ThinkVantage System Update Servers

cpaccot,

it's working on my X1 here.  What is your 7-digit model number from the barcode sticker on the bottom of your system?

Blue Screen Again
morrislevy

Same issue here more recently; I haven't seen this for a while with regards to the software nomally being very stable across builds and models out-of-the-box. I work as an IT professional and I work with a lot of Lenovo laptops on a daily basis.

someotherguy, I have a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T520 and it's not working properly -- exact same error as the original post.  I haven't encountered this more than a few times in my line of work and normally the error is out-of-date Lenovo System Update software that has to be downloaded directly from the website.  This time isn't working.  I'm running 4.03 on this T520 laptop.

TYPE: 4244-CTO

S/N: R9-NYY61 (12/05)

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Best,

-- Morris

Best,
-- Morris
--------------------------------
Lenovo T410s - Win7 x64
Blue Screen Again
morrislevy

[ Edited ]

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Best,
-- Morris
Lenovo T410s - Win7 x64
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

morrislevy,

can you please zip up the "logs" folder in "c:\program files (x86)\lenovo\system update" and post it to dropbox/yousendit/etc and paste the link here?

Blue Screen Again
morrislevy

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9gushnpxkkormm/3NrIRClG_8

I'll keep this active until downloaded / completed.

Thank you so much.

Best,
-- Morris
Lenovo T410s - Win7 x64
Lenovo Staff
parkerjnc

Thanks for the logs, Morris.  That helps a lot.  I can see that your issue is stemming from the fact that TVSU did not detect you system properly.  In order to understand why, could you please tell us how this system set up?  Was Windows 7 installed cleanly using UEFI boot option in BIOS? Was an older version of TVSU installed first and then upgraded to the latest?  Was any othe Lenovo software installed before TVSU was installed?

That information will help us understand how users get into this situation.

To fix it so TVSU works for you there are two options.  The first thing you can try is edit the registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\System Update and make sure the Vendor value is set to "THINK".  The other option is to uninstall TVSU and re-install it making sure you are using the very latest version.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-73695

Blue Screen Again
morrislevy

Hi parkerjnc,

Thank you for the reply; that is marvelous.  I changed the registry key (it was set to UNDEFINED) as recommended to "THINK".  Fired up the "ThinkVantage System Update" tool and finally passed the 15% mark -- and recognized the servers!  I'm running it right now and am very impressed.

With regards to how this occured -- its kind of a mixed bag of key elements:

1) Received as new out of the box with Windows 7 64-bit.  Great for the most part.  I have to assume it was a clean install.

2) Standard Install Procedure (however, it is hard to recall *exactly* in which order)

Installed
Lenovo System Update
MS Office 2010 32-bit
Ninite.com Defaults
Windows Updates

Symantec Antivirus 64-bit

Removed
Symantec VIP
Norton Internet Security
MS Office 2010 Trial
Windows Live Suite
Business-In-A-Box

3) Installed ThinkVantage System Update through the "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools" (was greyed out).

4) Attempted to run; nothing.  Downloaded newer version software from the website and installed again.  No change.

Sorry I can't offer more insight about the process of how this occured -- I realize how difficult this may be to replicate a similar scenario in the lab.  In my opinion, the install from the Lenovo ThinkVantage tools may have been the FUBAR step where it missed the registry key properly.  This one critical step made all the difference -- however I am unsure of how it came about.

THANK YOU,

-- Morris :smileyvery-happy:

Best,
-- Morris
Lenovo T410s - Win7 x64