Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
recreaghmd

ThinkVantage recomendations about their software in Vista

SOMETIMES IF BETTER TO COME CLEAN FROM THE BEGINNING!:smileysurprised:

I strongly recommend every body in this forum, owner of a Lenovo laptop, or even if you are considering to purchase one to go to this ThinkVantage URL and read from the horse's mouth.

Yet I wonder what is being installed at the factory.

Draw your own conclusions about great hardware with proprietary software, which support, even under warranty, is difficult to obtain, if any. If I am mistaken, I welcome advice on how to obtain it without a fee.

There are many common problems presented at this forum, with little resolution, basically depending on the charity of others owners, which might have the personal experience. It is agree that there is no official assistance. :smileysad:

Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T60p, 2613CTO, Dual Core Centrino 2.16 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Drive 0:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). Drive 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b clean install. Drive 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/Windows 7 SP1 64b new install in progress. Drive 3:250GB, Vista-B-SP2 clean install, Drive 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. Drive 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA.
andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: ThinkVantage recomendations about their software in Vista

recreaghmd,

a nice find, this could be helpful for some people deciding what they need / don't need.

I think that it's a good advisory document. The author is making recommendations from an objective point of view for a specific environment and different user capabilities; the key being "compatibility does not equal savvyness".

The main contentious utilities are AC and CSS, the rest seem to be totally acceptable and usable to varying degrees.

There have been issues with Access Connections and Client Security Solution, and IMHO the author is correctly advising that AC seems not to be best suited to their environment and that CSS should only be implemented where "a defined and specific need" exists.

As the author knows the “setup” they are better placed to offer such advice regarding AC. Not knowing exactly which or if all the features of CSS are being referred to I have to, in a global manner,  agree with their comments; unless there is a specific need there is no reason to implement it and when this is the case it should be very thoughtfully done.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Token Ring
recreaghmd

Thanks AndyP,:smileyhappy:
Is good to know that you do something more than housekeeping.

You chose not to comment on the rest of the statement, why?

Do the factory installed Vista comes with Client security and Access Connections?
I have no problems with access connections and for my multiples sites, find it very usefully. Client security also works for me with the exception of the password Manager.
Besides, whether we want or should use this programs or not, has nothing to do with the obligation of Lenovo to assure that the hardware and their proprietary software (not Microsoft) works as expected when they are delivered and for a reasonable time after. There is a configuration and expectation of correct function on a sales contract. I am not a lawyer, but one of this days Lenovo shall piss-off one and might have a class action problem.  

Is the chkdsk problem about something that we do not need, not necessary or that we can uninstall?

Be bold and help us!:smileywink:

Thanks

Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T60p, 2613CTO, Dual Core Centrino 2.16 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Drive 0:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). Drive 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64b clean install. Drive 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/Windows 7 SP1 64b new install in progress. Drive 3:250GB, Vista-B-SP2 clean install, Drive 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. Drive 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA.
andyP

[ Edited ]

recreaghmd wrote:

Is good to know that you do something more than housekeeping.
...snip...

when I got my first ever job, I admit, I started by driving a broom. Things are different now that I have my own company; I drive it without being told to :smileywink:

recreaghmd wrote:
..snip...
You chose not to comment on the rest of the statement, why?
...snip...

As I wrote, "As the author knows the “setup” they are better placed to offer such advice"; I didn't feel the rest was worth commenting on. This has been written by someone who is by no means uninformed and offers their opinion. The remainder of the points are prefixed with different levels of "suggested" / "Optional".
Not knowing this person and their position within the facility, or the motives behind the article, it is difficult to criticize, or equally important reinforce, their opinions

recreaghmd wrote:
..snip...
Do the factory installed Vista comes with Client security and Access Connections?
I have no problems with access connections and for my multiples sites, find it very usefully. Client security also works for me with the exception of the password Manager.
...snip...

AC is, as far as I know, pretty much a standard utility, CSS is different as there are different TPs with / without TPM in which case the functionality of CSS is different.
Glad you find them useful.

recreaghmd wrote:
...snip...
Besides, whether we want or should use this programs or not, has nothing to do with the obligation of Lenovo to assure that the hardware and their proprietary software (not Microsoft) works as expected when they are delivered and for a reasonable time after. There is a configuration and expectation of correct function on a sales contract. I am not a lawyer, but one of this days Lenovo shall piss-off one and might have a class action problem.  
...snip..

I'm sorry, but I see it differently. I have the choice to use the tools offered or to get rid of them. No one from Lenovo has ever said I have to have them and must use them. The option to run a custom recovery and leave them out is also available. Sorry Legal eagles, this is a matter of choice. It would be like suing Lenovo because windows crashed, I can chuck windows out and install Linux - my choice.

recreaghmd wrote:
..snip..
Is the chkdsk problem about something that we do not need, not necessary or that we can uninstall?
...snip..

see above. :smileywink:

AND, my answers are also my personal opinion.

TTFN

EDIT; got the broom out again and tidied up a couple of small points

Message Edited by andyP on 04-16-2008 09:36 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

andyP

As an after thought,

recreaghmd wrote:
...snip..
Be bold and help us!:smileywink:
...snip.

What do you mean by that? And who is us?

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Token Ring
recreaghmd

.....to boldly go where no one else!

I got a secret and is that I no longer have the chkdsk problem!

Cheers.