Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
dm67
Accepted Solution

Thinkpad Power Manager problems

Hi, I own a T520 4240-4CG with Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Some days ago I noticed that my Thinkpad Power Manager (v. 3.64) missed one of the Power Schemes, so I decided to upgrade it to the latest 3.65 version.

After the upgrade, all Power Schemes were missing.

Googling around, I tried all possibile solutions. Found the duplicated schemes on the Registry, and deleted all of these, uninstalled completely the Power Manager, even manually removing all its possible entries on Registry, and restoring the default scheme with powercfg -restoredefaultschemes.

Now I'm using the default Windows Power manager, as if I install again the Thinkpad Power Manager I get no Power schemes on it, and the registry keeps filling with duplicated empty schemes every time I start the Thinkpad Power Manager. I cannot create a new Scheme on Thinkpad Power Manager, or Import Schemes I got from a similar machine. The process says ok, but no schemes are still found.

Please help, thanks.

Fanfold Paper
dm67

Re: Thinkpad Power Manager problems

Just an update on what I described: I've re-installed the Thinkpad Power Manager using the local user that installed the PC, instead using my user (that is an admin) but the result is the same.

Now when I press Fn-F3, a dialog shows up telling "You are not authorized to display the panel for selecting a power scheme". The Power Manager tells it crashed (!), but then starts, and no power schemes are present.

Every time I start the Power Manager, a fake scheme is duplicated into the registry.

Fanfold Paper
dm67

Bump...

Anyone wants to help?

Serial Port
Ronald63de

just an idea...  try to run the PM explicitly with administrator privileges when creating a power profile. There was an issue some time ago that prevented the new profiles to show up if you created them without those.

Fanfold Paper
dm67

Did not resolve.

As I said, I also tried to re-install the thinkpad power manager using the same user that installed the whole pc. But no results.

Before that issue, I was able to run the laptop up to 2:h30, now using only the standard windows power manager, it runs no more that 1h:30.

Please help. I DO NOT want to reinstall the system running for just 6 months, just for a piece of software that is not working, and nobody at Lenovo is able to let it work! I had also a R60e, and it had the same issue. The only solution was to reinstall the system.

So... why is still this software present on pre-installed Lenovo software, if it's still malfunctioning???

Desperately...

Fanfold Paper
dm67

Anyone at Lenovo spending a bit of time on that issue? Come on!

Another update...

I uninstalled again PM and its driver, restored default schemes, clean the registry, logged in using the user that originally installed the system, updated with System update (that installed PM and driver), obviously nothing changes... then put manually into the registry the settings found here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/76375-power-manager-settings-lost-where-can-i-download-th... , under every defined user. But... nothing changes.

Don't want to spend all my nights trying to resolve that issue by myself... and have only 1h30 of battery during the day!!!

Desperately... and angry.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I have no idea about this issue - and haven't heard of it before.

Can you set power schemes using the Power Options control panel of Windows?

Fanfold Paper
dm67

Thanks for replying.

Haven't tried yet... but now I tried, and I did create a new custom scheme successfully using standard Control Panel Power manager.

Obviously, it's not reflected under Thinkpad PM, that after being launched, has created 5 new fake schemes under Control Panel Power Manager.

Screwed...

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

So are the standard Windows power schemes present in Windows control panel?  Or only the custom one that you created?

Fanfold Paper
dm67

All standard power schemes are always present under control panel power manager (if I type into a CMD powercfg /restoredefaultschemes, they are restored to the default and fake ones created by Thinkpad PM are wiped out), along with the one I have created (that's obvioouly wiped out when I restore the default ones).

The answer is definitely YES. Standard Windows schemes are present under standard power manager.