Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
gazurtoid

Unable to install ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery on new X220t

I recieved me new X220t a few days ago and when trying to install Rescue and Recovery from the ThinkVantage Toolbox I'm greeted with a message stating there's not enough free space to install or upgrade the Rescue and Recovery environment.   Space can't be an issue as I'm running nothing but Windows 7 64bit Professional and Office 2010.   

I could go the 3rd party route with Acronis but I'd rather use what came with my system and save some money. 

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Unable to install ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery on new X220t

Are you using the Lenovo preload or did you wipe the HDD and install Windows yourself?

Serial Port
gazurtoid

The preload. When I migrated over from the hard drive to the SSD I used the Intel/Acronis utility off of Intel's site.
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

How big is the SSD?  I am not familiar with the migration tool you used but I wonder if something didn't work quite right during that process.

Can you please run msinfo32, navigate to components->storage->disks and let me know the layout of the SSD as it exists now?  You can copy-and-paste to a forum reploy or else put it in a txt file and attach it.

Another option is to use the built-in backup/restore utility of Win7.  A lot of folks use that instead of Rescue and Recovery - it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your backups.

Serial Port
gazurtoid

It's an 80GB Intel SSD.  Here is the copy/past from msinfo32.

Description    Disk drive
Manufacturer    (Standard disk drives)
Model    INTEL SSDSA2CW080G3
Bytes/Sector    512
Media Loaded    Yes
Media Type    Fixed hard disk
Partitions    3
SCSI Bus    0
SCSI Logical Unit    0
SCSI Port    0
SCSI Target ID    0
Sectors/Track    63
Size    74.53 GB (80,023,749,120 bytes)
Total Cylinders    9,729
Total Sectors    156,296,385
Total Tracks    2,480,895
Tracks/Cylinder    255
Partition    Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size    342.00 MB (358,612,992 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset    1,048,576 bytes
Partition    Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size    64.93 GB (69,717,721,088 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset    359,661,568 bytes
Partition    Disk #0, Partition #2
Partition Size    9.27 GB (9,948,889,088 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset    70,077,382,656 bytes

You're right about using the Win7 backup.   It will suit me just fine but I was curious as to why R&R was giving me trouble about not wanting to install.  

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

The issue is with the size of partition #0.  In the Lenovo preload on the HDD that shipped with your system, that partition would be 1GB or more.  For some reason, the HDD->SSD migration software shrunk that partition and now it's too small.  Rescue and Recovery stores the recovery environment (a WIM file that contains a WinPE installation) in that partition, but there's no longer enough room for that WIM file, so that's why you are seeing the error message during the Rescue and Recovery installation.

To fix the issue, you would need to restore that partition to the size it was in the original Lenovo preload.

How much free space is on that 342 MB partition?  Because if it's too full, Windows backup won't be able to back it up.

Serial Port
gazurtoid

Yeah I guess there was a setting I missed when I ran the Intel Data Migration Software (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19324).   

I put the 320GB drive back into the X220t and but when I try to install R&R the installer stops the process with "This version of Rescue and Recovery program can only be installed on select Lenovo computers."  

Ultimately, it's no big deal.  I'm just going to use Acronis as that's what I use on my desktop and it works great. 

Thanks for your help. 

HDMI
GatorBob

I learned by doing ti both ways that a clean install of Win 7-64 plus all my software onto a new SDD used only 80 GB on the 256 GB SDD.  Before i did the clean install, I cloned the old HDD onto the new SDD and used about twice as much space.  It's all related to an SDD's formatting requirements.