Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
freemama

Unable to run System Update on T60

We have run into this on many of our T60s in our company.  System update runs without issue when our image is applied, but once the user's data is copied onto the PC, System update no longer runs without turning up the following message:  An error occurred while gathering user information."  We have not yet been able to find a rhyme or reason for this issue as it is an inconsisten problem:  it will happen on some laptops of a particular model, but not all.  It does happen on mine.  I appreciate your help.
Lenovo Staff
bloo

Re: Unable to run System Update on T60

What's the method for copying the user data?  What is copied?  Is it simply data directories, or are you overwriting data in \documents and settings?  Anything being applied to HKLM or HKCU in the registry?
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Punch Card
freemama

We are using Altiris to do the personality transplant and the imaging.  The update works fine on the clean image, but fails once we load the personality.  The HKLM and HKCU are both migrated from the old machine to the new one during the personality transplant process.  We are also migrating \documents and settings data as well as data from other places on the PC. 
Blue Screen Again
rtlinux

[ Edited ]
I am having a similar issue but it is on a clean build of server 2008 on my t60p.  Are plans in the works to make this OS compatable with SU?  :smileysad:

Message Edited by rtlinux on 05-15-2008 07:42 AM
Lenovo Staff
bloo

rtlinux wrote:
server 2008 on my t60p

Server 2k8 isn't a supported OS on the T60p, so, no, we have no plans to make TVSU work in that environment.
--
Punch Card
freemama

Bloo, you replied to the last guy, but haven't responded to my last post about the way we migrate our data and the Registry parts that are affected.  Can you make any suggestions?  Thanks.
Punch Card
jmoe

Did you find a fix or resolve the issue between the Altiris tool and System Update? I believe I am running into the same problem.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
Punch Card
freemama

I haven't heard anything back at all.  We're still experiencing the issue. 
Lenovo Staff
bloo

What's the source system and what is the target system?  It works on some but not on others, so which source/target combination works and which source/target combination fails?

Copying HKLM and HKCU in totality is a Very Bad Idea, if that's what the program is indeed doing.  It is possible that this process is setting or re-setting something that is hosing up TVSU.
--