Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,308
Solutions: 283

Updated Version of Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox

All,

Version 1.4 (or 6.0.5514.60 if you want to be technical)  of the Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox is available for download on our support site.  This latest version, made available on June 9th is smaller and loads faster than the prior version and includes a number of new tests and features.   Learn more about some of the improvements via my recent blog post on the release.

.LTT Configuration.png

During the install, or anytime afterward, the configuration settings can be changed as illustrated above.  These selections will enable you to place the LTT icon on the toolbar or not, and choose to receive updates and messages or not.  Even if the icon is present on the toolbar, the application is not running in the background - it is only active if you click to launch it.

There is  survey link in the lower left, and if you have this version installed and have been actively using it, please take a moment to share your thoughts via the survey.   We definitely want to hear your feedback and continue to evolve this application and hearing feedback in a structured way will allow our teams working with PC Doctor to prioritize development efforts.

If you happen to be using an alternate diagnostic application, what design elements or features do you like most about it?  We'd love to hear that too!

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
msthorley

Re: Updated Version of Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox

Why is this "temporarily unavailable"?
SCSI Port
SteveInWA

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"  Don't install this, or any previous release of LTT on a Seagate Momentus XT drive...it's still broken.

Here is a follow-up to the various other forum postings by me and others on the incompatibility of LTT on Windows 7 64-bit, and Seagate Momentus XT drives, in the Lenovo and Seagate forums:

After the last crash on my T410, I reimaged my drive from backup, de-installed LTT, and upgraded the Seagate firmware to SD23.  No failures for 2 days of heavy use.  All Windows, Lenovo, Intel etc. drivers and software are the very latest available.

Tonight, I installed the newly-posted LTT, version 6.0.5514.61.  As soon as I started LTT, it did the same old thing:  starts as far as the screen with the spinning wheels next to each of the modules, then hangs for a minute or two with the hard disk LED lit solid, then BSOD, reboot and corrupted drive.  Somewhere in this sequence, it seriously trashes the hard drive, such that Windows 7's automated repair can't fix it, and manual running of chkdsk, and repair of the MBR and partition boot record don't help.  On top of that, I discovered that the LTT installation routine does NOT create a Windows restore point.  BAD practice, PC-Tools -- you should fix this!  I did try restoring to an earlier restore point, to no avail.  The drive gets hopelessly FUBAR upon starting LTT, requiring reimaging again.

So, this release may have fixed other bugs, like the "space in the account name" bug, but it sure didn't fix the Seagate Momentus XT problem.

I am not going to try re-installing LTT until somebody at PC-Doctor confirms that they have tested it successfully with a Momentus XT.

--Steve
Punch Card
clxcoltz

SteveninWA: I have the exact same problem with a Seagate momentus XT, but the installation of both .60 and .61 (fortunately) did not trash my hard drive to the point such that a re-image is needed. A simple uninstall and re-installing of 6.0.5387.13 made LTT work again, albeit with an old version.

By the way, where did you get that SD23 firmware? I ran my Momentus XT's serial through the seagate serial number checked and didn't see anything. (Stock is SD22, according to SeaTools)

Token Ring
mtissington

I have SD23 firmware and TRIED the latest version of toolbox and it once again trashed my hard drive .... the only way to boot was to do a complete restore.

SCSI Port
SteveInWA

[ Edited ]

clxcoltz:  You are right; for some reason, the firmware update checker doesn't find it.

Here's the link for the SD23 firmware:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451&NewLang=en

This firmware update supposedly eliminates the frequent spin-down/spin-up that was initiated by the drive controller.  Some people had problems getting the firmware update to run.  In my case, it ran, said it updated the firmware, and then said it failed.  Upon reboot, however, the drive diagnostic program does show that it properly updated.  I think Seagate fixed the installer since then.

*** To be clear, and to repeat what Stephen S. from PC-Doctor said today, SD23 firmware does NOT address the problem causing LTT to crash.  Another firmware update from Seagate is forthcoming at some TBD date.  ***

--Steve
SCSI Port
rgsteele

Hi Mark,

I think this application has a some potential. However, it has a long way to go to reach that potential.

Let's start with the toolbar (the blue button that appears on the taskbar) that is created by default when the application is installed. If you'll forgive my bluntness, it's a distracting waste of space and a flagrant misuse of the toolbar user interface.

If there is something wrong that requires urgent attention (like, for example, the hard disk is failing), then the program should open a dialog box. Otherwise, user notifications should be displayed in -- surprise -- the Notification Area. Please have your developers read and understand the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines

And seriously, what is up with the Coverflow-esque marketing garbage on the -- ugh -- "Ultimate Business Tool" tab? If you're wondering why this program has the reputation of being bloatware, look no further than here. This has no business being in a diagnostic application.

I could say more, but I think you get my drift. Remember the old version of PC Doctor? When all it did was scan your computer for problems and gave you a nice report, without trying to take over your taskbar or sell you stuff? Ah, the good old days.

What's DOS?
colmob

I can confirm this problem.

Trying to upgrade an X60 with a newly purchased Momentus XT. Imaged old system (with full complement of Lenovo software, drivers and LTT) back on to the new drive, it boots, logs in, then blue-screens and won't boot again.

Terminally messed up, as described.

A clean install works fine until install of LTT (first non-Windows item installed), freshly downloaded.

Total failure, again, as described, exactly step-by-step as Steve describes. I thought it might be an incompatibility (2100 error, with lenovo offering firmware updates for certain drives they shipped, per here) with the older system, but seeing this, I see it's the LTT and the Momentus XT. The drive passes the full SeaTools diagnostics with flying colours, even when physically installed in the X60.

I was going to keep the drive and put it in my W510, but now it's going back. Very disappointing.

Paper Tape
Simsbury

I ran the update the other day. Now my system freezes every day. I can't turn the computer off; I must remove the battery to shut the system down.
Blue Screen Again
gdkwindsor

Activate Online Support; Activating Online Support allows you to receive valuable information and updates along with special offers from Lenovo.

How about breaking this item into blocks (think line item veto).  I don't want to receive your "special offers".  Seriously, how many times do I need to dismiss marketing proposals for 20% off a backpack or ear buds.