Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
michele654
Accepted Solution

Upgraded - lost tile to Snipping Tool, can't recreate...

One day I'll learn not to let Simple Tap update...

Aside from the slew of trash tiles installed, rearranging all my tiles (again) and other minor irritations, I found that Simple Tap dropped my Snipping Tool icon.  No problem, I'll just recreate...   Wait, it can't find the snipping tool executable?  Let's see, it's at c:\windows\system32\SnippingTool.exe    I see it in the file manager, but Simple Tap can't seem to see it while browsing for a program.  Probably why it dropped my tile in the first place.

So, how do I create a tile to SnippingTool.exe?

And, another poster asked how to tell what was in the updates, at this point I second that.  It appears the only added feature was new trash tiles...

-Michele

Punch Card
michele654

Re: Upgraded - lost tile to Snipping Tool, can't recreate...

Just a note, I still have the user_SnippingTool.xml file, and I found another of my batch files that the tile is not being displayed. How can I tell why it is not displaying my tiles, and get it to do them again?
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Sorry for this trouble.  Can you post your XML files here?  I will take a look at them and try to figure out why they aren't working with the latest version of SimpleTap.  You may need to rename the XML files as TXT files to be able to attach them to the forum.  Or feel free to e-mail them to me.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I found that you can create a tile for SnippingTool.exe by pointing to "c:\windows\sysnative\snippingtool.exe"

The technical reason why:  SimpleTap 3.0 is a 32-bit application where previous versions of SimpleTap were 64-bit.  We had compatibility problems with 64-bit SimpleTap, mainly with IE.  So SimpleTap 3.0 is a 32-bit application, but now this change has caused the incompatibility that you found launching 64-bit applications within the system32 folder.  So please try creating a new tile pointing to the sysnative folder instead of system32.

For your other non-working tile for your batch file, please give me more details about it.  There is probably a similar solution.

Again, sorry for your trouble with SimpleTap upgrades.

Punch Card
michele654

[ Edited ]

I don't have a c:\windows\sysnative directory.  I ran a search, and there are snippingtool.exe in the c:\windows\winsxs\(big long file name) but nowhere else besides the system32 directory.

When does sysnative get created?  I'm running Windows 7 Professional, SP1.

Should I create it?

*UPDATE*  - Never mind, I read about sysnative and realized I needed to type the file path rather than browse for it.  That worked to get my Snipping Tool tile back.  Thanks!

re: the bat file.    I found my missing bat file tile, it was underneath another tile.  Don't know why it would re-arrange my tiles and put one on top of another, but *shrug*

-Michele

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

When you browse for snippingtool.exe inside SimpleTap (within the dialog that creates a new tile), then you'll see c:\windows\sysnative.  You won't see it in windows explorer.  This is the whole 32-bit vs 64-bit issue of Windows 7.

I agree SimpleTap needs to do a better job of upgrades and not re-arranging your tiles.  I'll work with the software team about it, but unfortunately I don't have any quick fix for it.

Punch Card
michele654

Browsing in Simple Tap did not show me sysnative, but it worked when I typed the full file path in.