Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
ColonelONeill
Accepted Solution

Virtual Scroll Glitch

[ Edited ]

The Auto Scroll (aka Virtual Scroll) utility appears to have a little glitch when dealing with multiple monitors of (presumably) different resolutions.

I am reporting this bug from a X100e, which has a resolution of 1366x768, attached to an external monitor of 1280x1024.

The symptoms are reproducible and are as follows:
  1. Multiple displays set to Extend. (Presumably of different resolutions.)
  2. A maximized window.
  3. Win+D is used to minimize the window. (The minimize button does not trigger this.)
  4. Attempting to scroll off the edges of the screen produces wallpaper corruption.
        See screenshot: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7603/53719659.jpg

I think the program is not registering the fact that the window is no longer in focus and is attempting to shift the wallpaper window element back on screen with respect to the wrong resolution.

The issue persists with the Auto Scroll service stopped. Will try disabling the service and restarting.

EDIT: The issue is no longer present after disabling Auto Scroll and restarting. It returns upon starting the service.

It's a minor glitch really.

As a side note, it took way too much effort to figure out what Auto Scroll actually does. There's a descriptor for every service for a reason :smileytongue:.

EDIT2: For whatever reason, Auto Scroll turns off the first time you disable the service. Subsequent times disabling the service doesn't work; the feature and aforementioned issue are still active.

The issue also occurs regardless of orientation of displays.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: Virtual Scroll Glitch

Hi,

can you please clarify, what do you mean with the Autoscroll? I just want to make sure, that we are talking about the same stuff.

I have just tested this situation and when I open and maximize on each monitor a window, then I press the WIN+D everything is minimized, but when I move with the moust into a special direction (in my case it's on the notebook monitor when I go down) I see, that the background scrolls.

However, this is corrected, when I press the Win+D key combination again.

Can you confirm this?

Cheers

Guru
ColonelONeill

As far as I can tell, Auto Scroll is the one which slides partially off-screen windows back onto the viewport when you try to scroll in that direction. It seems consistent with the behavior of the background.

I can confirm, and generalize that it is corrected as soon as I bring up any window. The maximized window is not a criterion for reproducing the issue either.
What's DOS?
skasaisi

The Auto-Scroll Utility also causes problems with Terminal Server use under the same conditions.  I had a user who did not have the 'panning' issue, as I called it when I talked with Lenovo, when they were on the desktop with Windows 7.  However, when they connected to a Terminal server, you could make the desktop 'pan' when you try to move the mouse pointer into the 'dead' space difference between the two displays.  This is using Remote Desktop Connection with the option of 'Use all my monitors' checked.

Did not matter which display was primary, if you had one display that was a larger resolution either in 'height' or in width of the other monitor, you have a 'black' dead space area with the two displays depending on the orientation of the displays.  IE, if I had a 1920x1080 and I had a 1280x800 display setup, if the displays were side by side, the viewing rectangle would be designated as 3200x1080...  Which leaves a dead space on the vertical of 280.  If your cursor tried to move into this dead space, Auto-scroll utility kicks in and pans the desktop around on both displays.

As the original poster points out, when you disable the Lenovo Auto-Scroll Utility Service, this is no longer an issue.  I have been trying to figure out this problem with some of these users and never thought to look at the Auto-scroll utility, and didn't even notice it until looking on another system and seeing it running in the processes.  Lenovo techs are also not aware of this, as I called this in and they original believed due to the nature of my system build, which is a non-IBM loadout, that we needed to reload the OS using their disks before going further.

I highly recommend that unless you REALLY need this feature, to turn this off.  There is no real gain from it that isn't already provided to you by Windows 7 at this time.

Guru
ColonelONeill

9 month bump:

"(Fix) Fixed an issue where desktop screen was scrolled like panning mode in case that all applications had been minimized by pressing Windows+D key combination."

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014985

Took long enough >.>