Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
gizzzo

Vista loses IP config when undocking

I used to use ThinkVantage's Access Connections to manage my network connection profiles on my Thinkpad. I just recently uninstalled it because I decided to just rely on the Vista has natively. 

Since our office requires static IP, I set that up at the LAN properties. Everything works fine when I start from a clean boot. It's when I undock and redock to the docking station that problem starts. I lose the static IP configuration. Instead Vista assigns: 

IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx) 
Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (supposed to be 255.255.254.0) 
Gateway: blank 
DNS: correct

I now find myself having to do a reboot everytime I just need to undock and go to a 30 minute meeting when I used to be able to undock and redock without any problems whatsoever. 

Why does Vista assign this random IP when it is hard configured? 

How can I solve this problem? 

Thanks.

Punch Card
NPendrigh
Location: Ethereal - For Mods - I am a Frequent Traveller with PC's sourced from different continents

Re: Vista loses IP config when undocking

I do not have a direct Vista answer for you :smileysad:

The 'random' IP address is the standard one assigned by Windows when the computer is not connected to any network

I would return to using Access Connections - it is designed for just this type of situation

Alternatively, renewing the IP address once the PC is back in the DS may fix it without needing a reboot

Best wishes

Nigel

Paper Tape
gizzzo

NPendrigh wrote:

I do not have a direct Vista answer for you :smileysad:

The 'random' IP address is the standard one assigned by Windows when the computer is not connected to any network

I would return to using Access Connections - it is designed for just this type of situation

Alternatively, renewing the IP address once the PC is back in the DS may fix it without needing a reboot

Best wishes

Nigel

How can Windows assign an IP when I have configured it to be static?
Also with renew or release. How would that work in static IP. I did try it tho and it didn't work.
Returning to Access Connections would be my last option since it doesnt make sense to me to have a 3rd party utility when i can do it natively in Windows. I just cannot understand how Windows Vista can screw up the handling of static IPs when all other versions had no problems with static IP. I mean static is static right?

Punch Card
NPendrigh
Location: Ethereal - For Mods - I am a Frequent Traveller with PC's sourced from different continents

You are absolutely right with all your points, I am merely giving you some pragmatic suggestions

If you wish to limit your options by avoiding AC, then I wish you well in your quest to fix Vista

Nigel 

Paper Tape
gizzzo

test
Paper Tape
gizzzo

I finally gave up and reinstalled Thinkvantage Access Connections.

This time it no longer works. Same problem. Even when I created a named profile in AC, whenever I apply it after a redock, the same thing happens: Vista does not set the IP and subnet mask though everything else is ok. I still have to reboot to get my IP back.

very very annoying and unproductive.

Something is definitely wrong either with the registries, the OS itself or the adapter.

Please help.

NPendrigh wrote:

You are absolutely right with all your points, I am merely giving you some pragmatic suggestions

If you wish to limit your options by avoiding AC, then I wish you well in your quest to fix Vista

Nigel 

Punch Card
NPendrigh

I image my C drive before doing any OS or Program installations or removals so that I can trivially in about 15 minutes restore to a known good system (my data has previously been moved to another partition) using Acronis True Image Echo Workstation

Do you have a back up of a known good system?

If so restore from that. If not, you may be lucky enough to just uninstall and re-install the network driver software or swap the network adapter. Else, it would appear to be either live with what you have or

- selectively reinstall/repair the OS and everything :smileysad: either with the installation CD's or using Rescue & Recovery

- or format the disk and start again

While philosophically, I used to remove as many apparently surplus programs as possible, now I do not bother because in the past I have wasted far to much time being "right" instead of just using the system as a tool to Get Things Done!

Good Luck

Nigel

Paper Tape
gizzzo

I have not been doing images or restores (although seriously considering it. thanks) because I could usually troubleshoot once I understand what's happening.

This time I really don't understand how a static IP assigned can get lost when undocking/redocking. It boggles me and I am lost. Too late for me to do a restore.

I have a temporary solution which is to set another IP address and when the problem appears I simply switch to the other one. It's a not a beautiful solution and I had to bribe our LAN admin to give me the extra IP but that's what I got now.

I am still searching for this annoying yet challenging problem. I hope it also challenges people in this forum.

NPendrigh wrote:

I image my C drive before doing any OS or Program installations or removals so that I can trivially in about 15 minutes restore to a known good system (my data has previously been moved to another partition) using Acronis True Image Echo Workstation

Do you have a back up of a known good system?

If so restore from that. If not, you may be lucky enough to just uninstall and re-install the network driver software or swap the network adapter. Else, it would appear to be either live with what you have or

- selectively reinstall/repair the OS and everything :smileysad: either with the installation CD's or using Rescue & Recovery

- or format the disk and start again

While philosophically, I used to remove as many apparently surplus programs as possible, now I do not bother because in the past I have wasted far to much time being "right" instead of just using the system as a tool to Get Things Done!

Good Luck

Nigel