Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
bobstockler

Re: Warning: RNR 4.2 or CSS 8.1 - tvtumon causes XP SP2 bootexecute commands to fail

bparekh wrote:

The patch works, at least on my T60p running XP SP3. After fully applying the patch, I am now able to run scandisk /f from startup, etc... without the registry mod I was using earlier (I reset the start value for tvtumon back to 1 before running the patch).

The problem is that when you just run the downloaded executable, tvtrnr_sdpatch10.exe, even though it ends with a message that says the ScanDisk Patch is installed, it doesn't actually apply the patch, it just installs the patching program to c:\swtools\apps\scandiskpatch. You then have to manually run the file "sdpatch.cmd" from the c:\swtools\apps\scandiskpatch folder in order to actually apply the patch.

Thanks, bparekh, I never would have figured that out.  Executing "sdpatch.cmd" did the trick,

and I can now go into Safe Mode and PerfectDisk 8 can now defrag system files on boot.

Bob Stockler
G41 - 2886-5TU - Mobile Pentium 4 532 - 3.06 Gh
2 Gb RAM - 80 Gb Toshiba 5400rpm HDD - Win XP Pro
Paper Tape
geocarw

Re: Warning: RNR 4.2 or CSS 8.1 - tvtumon causes XP SP2 bootexecute commands to fail

bparekh wrote:

The patch works, at least on my T60p running XP SP3.  After fully applying the patch, I am now able to run scandisk /f from startup, etc... without the registry mod I was using earlier (I reset the start value for tvtumon back to 1 before running the patch).

The problem is that when you just run the downloaded executable, tvtrnr_sdpatch10.exe, even though it ends with a message that says the ScanDisk Patch is installed, it doesn't actually apply the patch, it just installs the patching program to c:\swtools\apps\scandiskpatch.  You then have to manually run the file "sdpatch.cmd" from the c:\swtools\apps\scandiskpatch folder in order to actually apply the patch.

Of course, there are no instructions that tell you that...I just figured it out from re-running the program and realizing it was unpacking a bunch of files to that directory, but then not doing anything with them.

It is possible if you install the patch using SystemUpdate, rather than a manual download, that it actually applies the patch, not just install the patch files, but since I (and apparently a bunch of other people) cannot get SystemUpdate to connect anymore (a completely separate thread), I can't test that behavior.

THANK YOU!!

It works for me too! After installing RnR 4.2 , I was not able to run chkdsk on the C: drive and could not boot into Safe Mode.  I had d/l and run the ScanDisk Patch not realizing it did not actually install the patch. Your clarification made all the difference in the world. Too bad that little bit of instruction was not included in the patch readme file.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

[ Edited ]

All,

Given your experiences with this tip and patch, should a different solution be drafted and posted here, rather than the one marked as the solution now?   That would make sense to me.

Perhaps drawing upon bparekh's work?   If so, we can change the accepted solution to point to that post, rather than the current one.  If the group agrees, perhaps bparek can draft and I'll change the solution link to the new post.

Thanks!

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-11-2008 11:23 AM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
bobstockler

Mark_Lenovo wrote:
Given your experiences with this tip and patch, should a different solution be drafted and posted here, rather than the one marked as the solution now? That would make sense to me.

Perhaps drawing upon bparekh's work? If so, we can change the accepted solution to point to that post, rather than the current one. If the group agrees, perhaps bparek can draft and I'll change the solution link to the new post.

I had downloaded and installed (I thought) the patch (the installatation program told me I
had, anyway), yet it didn't help with the problem. But following the instructions by bparehk
I got it to work. It is the _real_ solution. Also, the instructions with the patch should say
that this other file needs to be executed, or the installation program edited to execute that
file (for those who come upon it other than via this forum).
Bob Stockler
G41 - 2886-5TU - Mobile Pentium 4 532 - 3.06 Gh
2 Gb RAM - 80 Gb Toshiba 5400rpm HDD - Win XP Pro
Fanfold Paper
bparekh

Mark:

Subsequent to my comments on this board, Lenovo has fixed the patch file.  The link you put in your post now both correctly extracts the files and runs the sdpatch.cmd file.  There should be a new Solution, but it should just say:

SOLUTION:

A Patch to fix this problem is now available.  Please download and run the scandiskpatch.exe file from Lenovo's website [please put a link to the tip and patch here].

If you have previously applied the registry edit suggested by bparekh earlier in this thread, please change the start value for tvtumon back to 1 from 2.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

All,

A sincere thanks for everyone's work on this thread !

SOLUTION:

A Patch to fix this problem is now available.  Please download and run the scandiskpatch.exe file from Lenovo's website

LINK TO TIP AND UPDATE

If you have previously applied the registry edit suggested by bparekh earlier in this thread, please change the start value for tvtumon back to 1 from 2.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
Calabrache

Simple question, the patch was installed but since then the event viewer gives this message "

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

tvtumon" at the start up. How to solve it. I checked the registry, the call to the tvtumon.sys is in the system32\DRIVERS\tvtumon.sys and the file is actually there....

What's DOS?
wrgrow

Just ran the tvtumon registry edit fix on my thinkpad because I was having problems getting chkdsk to run. Error was cannot mount volume. This tweak worked like a charm. I am impressed major with the peep who figured this one out. Please refer to this post. I woulnd't insult the author by repeating his instructions.

Blue Screen Again
succurro

Mark,

Is the fix applicable to:

1. T23 ThinkPad model
  2. XP SP2
cat
What's DOS?
cat

Great work.. now that I've uninstalled RR I'm up and running chkdsk.

Too bad it took me 6 hours to find this. :-/