Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Spooky99
Accepted Solution

What is benefit of using Rescue and Recovery on Windows 7?

[ Edited ]

What is benefit of using Rescue and Recovery(R&R) on Windows 7?

Currently I'm using Windows 7 Professional (x64) on T400 and I just did backup using R&R on external hard drive. And after I did some research on Windows 7's backup feature, I could not find the benefit of using R&R.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I tried to find out the exact features of those two but their presentation is ambiguous.(For example, I do not understand what "rejuvenate" does.)

1. R&R and Windows 7 both supports single file recovery.

2. R&R and Windows 7 both provides full image recovery.

3. R&R and Windows 7 both provides rescue media.

4. Windows 7 provides both file(individual) backup and image backup. I could not find file backup on R&R.

5. Windows 7 Backup provides incremental backup. I couldn't find increment backup on R&R.

"Once you set up Windows Backup, Windows keeps track of the files and folders that are new or modified and adds them to your backup."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

6. Windows 7 Backup provides "previous versions" which is like mac's "time machine".

I think this feature is attractive, but external hard drive cannot be used in this feature.

7. R&R took me more than 4 hours to do the image backup on C & D drives (60GB, 13GB).

The backup file size is about 44G. (60% compression. I think it's good and acceptable.)

I haven't tried Windows 7's image backup, but I guess speed is not the benefit I can get from R&R.

8. R&R provides encryption of backup file. I could not find any information of encryption on Windows 7's.

I think this is important to the business user.

Can anybody think of benefit using R&R on Windows 7?

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

Re: What is benefit of using Rescue and Recovery on Windows 7?

[ Edited ]

Rescue and recovery is not only about providing backup and restore functionalities but also includes the tools required to get a computer up and running after a system failure.

ie;the recovery environment with built in diagnostics and a web browser which enables us to download critical updates and patches.

6. Windows 7 Backup provides "previous versions" which is like mac's "time machine".

I think this feature is attractive, but external hard drive cannot be used in this feature.

That is not a part of the backup feature.Its called volume shadow copy and is only available in the business and the ultimate editions of windows 7.

System rejuvenation restores the state of the PC by selecting a specific incremental backup.

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
Spooky99

Thanks for the answer. 

- Now I understand what System rejuvenation does. (Still I don't understand how this can improve performance as it says)

- Microsoft put "Previous Version" in Backup and Restoration FAQ. It's what they categorized and it's why I thought this as part of Windows 7 backup.

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions)

- Would you explain more about web browser? You mean R&R has a web browser?

"a web browser which enables us to download critical updates and patches."

- I'm not criticizing TVT R&R but I think this R&R is the heaviest & critical one among TVT applications. So I want to consider whether I will use this application for next 1~2 years or not. That's why I really want to know if there is real benefit of using this. What I know is that Windows 7 also has auto recovery feature as well - I experienced this after system failure. May be it is better to use both of them for redundancy but it may be waste of space & time using two back up system.

- In case of TVT Power manager, it has distinctive feature about battery maintenance. Clearly there is a benefit. However, I still cannot find any clear benefit of using R&R.

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

Yes the R&R environment has a web browser too(opera).Very useful in case you need to contact techssupport.

Did you use the R&R environment before?Have a look and you will get to know what useful stuff it has got which is not available in windows 7 :smileywink:

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
I always say, that it is quite easy to tell which backup solution is the most suitable for you.
There is only one basic question:
What kind of data you will store on the system?

The key point is, that of course Windows have his own backup solution, which is im many cases that the clients/users are looking for.
When you compare it with RnR, then you will see, that RnR is much more robust and you can do multiple other backup options, like with the windows one.
Here are some positive aspects of RnR:
-> if you system crash and you are not able to enter not even the save mode, you can start into the RnR hiden partition and also browse internet from there and capture all your files, that you have stored on your HDD
-> you can store your backup on multiple places
-> you can reconfigre the already captured backup
-> if you are using it in a company, you can safe yourself a lot of trouble, when some client machine crash and you have the backups. You can configure RnR to run in background, so that the end client will not even see that a backup process is running.
-> ....
There are also lot of other options, that are described in the >200 page administrator guide :smileywink:

Negative:
-> not much suitable, if you want to have pure "power" from your system, as it's running couple services in the background, which is from smal part taking your energy
-> not much suitable for single clients with not that important files and gamers. Some games are cracking up the RnR boot loader and also optionaly the RnR backups. These are rare cases, but I saw it happen.

I would say, that in case you tell us, whant is the main purpose that you want to use the Windows, or RnR backup solution, then we/I can tell you what might be the best solutions for you.
If you are a corporate user, then I would surelly advice to use RnR, as it includes a lot of options, that you as an admin can configure for the end clients to capture the backups and maintaing their systems.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Cheers