Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
alexx
Accepted Solution

Which Recovery Media DVDs are unique for each delivered pc?

This is related to the other thread: what is "boot media" and "data media"

Having just finished making recovery media for the E520 I've just purchased for my daughter, I'm soon going to need to repeat the process for the other identical E520 I've just purchased for my other daughter.

I'm lead to believe that the Windows 7 media is unique for each pc, but during the creation of the recovery media, the process created 4 x DVD.

1. Bootable CD/DVD.
* Volume label: CD_ROM
* 305 MB

2. Recovery DVD 0.
* Volume label: RCD_AppCD0
* 3.62 GB

3. Recovery DVD 1.
* Volume label: RCD_AppCD1
* 4.04 GB

4. Recovery DVD 2.
* Volume label: RCD_AppCD2
* 1.22 GB

Do I need to make another complete set of 4 x CD/DVD or is only one of these unique for that pc hardware?

This is for a Thinkpad E520 (1143CTO) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Re: Which Recovery Media DVDs are unique for each delivered pc?

If the systems really are identical you don't really need to make another set, the set you made will work.  That said, it can't be a bad thing to have two sets in case one set get's damaged, lost or whatever.

In such situations I prefer wearing belt and braces. :smileywink:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
alexx

Re: Which Recovery Media DVDs are unique for each delivered pc?

Thanks for the feedback.

In my case the two systems really are identical, but just to complicate things, one has been sent back for repair or replacement, so I need to be careful in case it is possible that a different one comes back that is just slightly different in specification.

While it sounds good to have two sets of media in case one set get's damaged, I can save the existing ISO images to some space on a 1TB drive rather than making a bunch of extra CD/DVDs.