Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Dahai
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 and system update proxy server problems

I have an R61 and just installed windows 7. Prior to installation I deleted a number of files, including Lenovo System Update (as recommended by Lenovo). I have dowloaded the new software for windows 7, but keep getting an error "Unable to connect to proxy server". This happens when you are 17% through in getting new updates.

Can anyone assist? Tried all areas in Lenovo site but NBG.

Retired Employee
kchampli

Re: Windows 7 and system update proxy server problems

Are you connecting via proxy? In internet explorer if you launch IE and go to tools>connections tab>Lan Settings button, is the "Use a Proxy Server" option checked? If so uncheck it and try running TVSU again or if you have to use a proxy, have whoever manages it add an exception for download.lenovo.com and download.ibm.com
Fanfold Paper
Dahai

Thank you for your reply. As suggested, I checked for a Proxy setting. Unfortunately it was NOT checked. I have decided to reinstall Windows 7 (which I have now done), and will try to reinstall the Think Vantage System Update then try running it again. That is a job for the weekend.

Best wishes

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

do you have any update to this situation?

That seems quite interresting.

So if I understad it correctly, then you have installed WIn7 and then ThinkVantage System update and it is not working.

Correct me, if I understand it wrong.

Cheers

Fanfold Paper
Dahai

That is correct. The background which might be significant or not. I had Vista Business then installed Windows 7 Home Premium. Being not equivelant to Vista Business, I needed to do a custom install. Prior to install I checked Windows site and Lenovo site. Windows indicated 6 files that would be a problem for Windows 7 and suggested reinstall after installing Windows 7. One was Lenovo Utilities and they said it "May experience problems. Visit Lenove site".

The Lenove site had 20 items to remove before installation. One of these wasSystem Update.

Having removed all recommended items, I installed Windows 7 and then proceeded to reload Fingerprint software, Access connection, Client Security Software, Rescue and Restore ands System Update.

It is this System Update which I am having problems with and the message about Proxy server.

I reinstalled Windows 7 and will again download and install System Update.

If it does not work, I wil give up. I can work quite well without any further updates from Lenovo.

Thank you for your message

Fanfold Paper
Dahai

****** An update. ******

I have just downloaded and reinstalled System Update. No luck. Still receive the message about unable to connect to Proxy server.

I have checked Internet, Tools, Connections and the box at Proxy Server is not checked.

If anyone at Lenovo happens to check this board for problems experienced by users, would you please advise what the problem could be and more importantly, how to fix it.

I give up trying to use System Update

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

when I tread this post from the start, then it looks to me like some faulty registry settings.

Please export following reg key and paste to this forum the whole content, I would like to verify, if there is not something wrong:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update

Cheers

Fanfold Paper
Dahai

Herik thank you for your reply. Would you please advise where I can locate the Hkey etc?

Best wishes

Lenovo Staff
Herik

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update

Hi,
here is what I mean with my previous post:
- go to Start->run
- type: regedit
- in this new window on the left side navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update
- right clikc the last key folder "System Update" and select Exporrt
- save the export on Desktorp, or wherever you want
- close registry
- right click the export file and open it in Notepad
- you will see some written lines, so please copy and paste them into this thread, so the I can doublecheck it.

This registry key contains the informations on the configuraiton of TVSU.

Cheers

Fanfold Paper
Dahai

Re: Windows 7 and system update proxy server problems - Problem solved 10 Apr 2010

Just to let anyone else with a similar problem know, my fix for the error message with the Proxy server connection, was to go into Internet Explorer, Tools, Connections. LAN settings and remove the check against the "Use automatic configuration script". Now all well and downloading many updates since the installation of Windows 7.