Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
KipHansen
Location: I am from NY, but am traveling in the Caribbean, currently in the Dominican Republic

Wireless Radio Won't Power On Problem - Access Connections

Searching on this problem on this forum shows that this is a frequent or recurring problem across ThinkPad models - and seems related directly to some conflict between Windows and ThinkVantage Access Connections.

Can we get a solution or a workaround patch?

My details:  (R61i  -  XP Pro  - Intel 3945ABG)

ThinkVantage Access Connections:

The icon offers to "Power On Wireless Radio" - clicking does not power on the radio.

View Status brings up the Wireless Connection Status window, which states the Operating State is "Radio off" and give the button to "Power On Wireless Radio".  Clicking does nothing.

Network Connections window:

Does not show wireless radio as an option. 

Network Setup Wizard shows Wireless Network Connection as "disconnected network hardware".

ThinkVantage Productivity Center:

Wireless
        Power On/Off Wireless Radios, if clicked reports "All wireless radios have been powered on", every time I click it, (does not toggle on and off).

Despite this, ThinkVantage Access Connections icon still reports "Radio off" and offers to  "Power On Wireless Radio", but does not do so when the button is clicked.

There is some other window that shows the state of the hardware switch, which shows it to be ON, which it is.

Using the patch from Lenovo located at

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62875

installing BOTH the App and the driver did not resolve the problem.

I am loath to simply uninstall Access Connections and depend on Windows alone, as I like the idea.

I think there are enough people with this same problem to  warrant some serious consideration from the smart guys.

Thanks, 

Kip Hansen

Paper Tape
ianlea

Re: Wireless Radio Won't Power On Problem - Access Connections

[ Edited ]

Same problem version 5 doesnt fix it either. I wondered why lenovo sent details of Network magic through their updates.

Stuff that ! use globesoft instead, works fine for me. Get it free using a voucher here http://jayaprakashkv.blogspot.com/2008/06/free-license-key-and-download-for_23.html  I found this because I had a problem with a siemens gigaset usb stick that still doesnt work but globesoft works fine.

Message Edited by ianlea on 08-05-2008 05:30 AM
Paper Tape
svyas

Ok so i just posted the same problem right now and now i found your post. But i dont see any replies of solutions to this, have you found a solution as to how to turn the radio on again, or connect to wireless again anyways? Thanks..
Paper Tape
svyas

Ok, so great news! I searched some forums, and found a solution!

1. Go start, control panel.

2. Add or remove programs.

3. Locate, Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software.

4. Click Change/Remove.

It will bring up this window, asking you of three options.

5. Click second option, Repair, NEXT and It should automatically detect and FIX whatever settings are messed up.

For my computer, it brought back the regular wireless detecting window, which is just fine for me!

What's DOS?
SierraB6

Thanks! That worked!
What's DOS?
iv4iv4

Thanks svyas, you are awesome!

What's DOS?
ajayk_goel

You are the life save svyas!