Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
epischedda

"System Update" refuses to load; perpetual restart message leads nowhere. R40, Windows XP.

[ Edited ]

Folks,

I get the following error message continuously - System Update never starts up, even after clicking "OK"; the only thing that happens is this error message goes away for about ten or fifteen seconds and then comes back. The only way I can get rid of it is to go into Task Manager and kill both of the relevant processes.

http://files.iclippy.com/109436/1251274772.jpg 

I removed and re-installed System Update 3.14 (the latest "driver"), and then removed that and installed an earlier version - no difference. I also repair-installed Microsoft NetFrame 2.0 ( or something like that), since System Update 3.14 apparently needs that - it didn't help .

I hadn't run System Update in - god knows how long, so, wanting to make a fresh back-up after running CCleaner and doing AVG Anti-virus and Ad-Aware scans, I decided it was about time to see what the latest Lenovo updates were first; now this.

Any ideas on how to get System Update to function properly on my machine (R40 2897-54U running Windows XP)?

Note from Moderator:  Image(s) >50k converted to link(s).

E
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinkpad R40 2897-54U running Windows XP Pro
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: "System Update" refuses to load; perpetual restart message leads nowhere. R40, Windows

Hi,

just a hint: 

Go to following location on your machine:
%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\logs 

Check the logs and that may tell you, what is going on. You can also post this to this forum, if  you want me to check .

Rgrds

Serial Port
epischedda

Re: "System Update" refuses to load; perpetual restart message leads nowhere. R40, Windows

[ Edited ]

Herik,

There're quite a few files in there:

http://files.iclippy.com/109436/1251278226.jpg

Any one that you want to see in particular?

Note from Moderator:  Image(s) >50k converted to link(s).

E
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

let's make it this way:
go to registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UserSettings\General]

Change the value of "DebugEnable" to YES.

Close registry and start TVS. Let it do his things and then force TVSU to shut down via Task Manager.

This will force the system to create a extendend log.<see the last modified file>

Then check your private mail

Rgrds

Serial Port
epischedda

[ Edited ]

Herik,

OK - I've followed your advice. I'm not seeing anything recent in my private e-mail - what am I looking for?

E
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

have send you a link, where you can upload all the log files.

Will send it again.

Rgrds

Serial Port
epischedda

[ Edited ]

Herik,

I finally saw the link in my Lenovo message account; I thought you were sending me a message to my outside web-mail account (where Lenovo copies responses to my posts).

I can connect to Lenovo's FTP server but it won't accept me until I supply a password - are you going to supply me one?

I've got to get some sleep now - I'll look for your response later in the day. Thank you for your help so far.

E
Serial Port
epischedda

[ Edited ]

Herik,

I believe I sent you via FTP the log files you requested - did you have a chance to review them yet?

E
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,
the firs thing, that I saw is, that you are using a realy old version of TVSU. You are using 3.13.0009.
Go to following link and download the latest version of TVSU: <3.14.0024>
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TVSU-UPDATE

And then make following steps:
- delete the old version of TVSU using Control Panel
- once it's removed, go to %programfiles%\Lenovo
- if you see the folder "System update", then delete it manually
* reboot the machine
- after it starts back to OS install the downloaded version of TVSU
- once it's installed, check whether it's working

From your logs it's obvious, that this aplication could not be started in your environment/OS. TVSU could not be started, but unfortunately the reason is not realy shown.

Test the above and let me know about the results

Rgrds

Serial Port
epischedda

I followed your instructions. System Update still won't load - it returns the same error message and won't get out of this infinite loop until you go into Task Manager and manually shut down the three relevant processes, just like yesterday.

E