Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: "System Update" refuses to load; perpetual restart message leads nowhere. R40, Windows

Hi,
that is not what I expected. The behaviour of TVSU is prety strange.
Can you tell me, whether there are some changes to the system, that you made lately? Sorry for combining two situations into one, but you have one issue with RnR, which is now realy acting strange and then there is this one with TVSU.

Sorry for being that much honest, but to me it sounds, like your system recently get some really heavy damage.

Anyway, in case you reinstalled TVSU from the scratch and the situation did not changed, then maybe you already tested this one, but don't you have some virus on your system? Or anything similar?
I assume, that you already have made a virus scan, did it found any viruses?

Rgrds

Serial Port
epischedda

Re: "System Update" refuses to load; perpetual restart message leads nowhere. R40, Windows

[ Edited ]

Herik,

It's kind of hard to say since it's been so long since I've tried to make a back-up or look for driver updates. In fact I can only vaguely remember even starting System Update once or twice since it came out two years ago or so; for some reason I decided I'd just look at the Lenovo driver update site myself every now and then install the updated drivers as necessary.

Anyway, most recently I decided to do a little maintenance on my system a few days ago and that's what lead to my discovery of the System Update and RnR problems. Part of the maintenance I performed was to run AVG Anti-virus, Ad-Aware and C-Cleaner scans, as well as eliminating all of the .tmp files scattered throughout my system. Are you familiar with C-Cleaner? Part of its process is registry clean-up, but the only files it said were in need of removal were allegedly related to the uninstallation of software (before I'd even tried to remove and re-install RnR and System Update). I've run scans using the noted programs a few times since I last tried to use System Update and RnR, so it's hard to say when or even if these scans had anything to do with my current problems. Other than System Update and RnR my computer works fine - at least all of its applications seem to be working, and they can store and retrieve data from my USB HD.

Remember, as I indicated earlier in this dialog, I think my RnR problem may stem from the fact that I re-formatted the disks were I save my RnR back-ups rather than using RnR or some other program or process to just delete the old back-ups - I recall there being one or two other files on the two back-up drives besides the back-ups themselves. I thought I'd done things this way before without problems.

My machine was showing no signs of virus or other malware infection, and the scans ended up virtually spotless.

Lastly, I suppose I can do without System Update, but I really think I need RnR's capability - otherwise if I have ANOTHER Blue-Screen-of-Death lock-up episode, I'll be really stuck. In the meantime I've used Windows XP Pro's back-up capability to make a back-up to my USB HD; do you have time to tell me what capability RnR has that Windows back-up won't do - why RnR exists - why is it better?

I'm surprised that removing RnR is so problematic - isn't another method readily available besides using the Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"?

E
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinkpad R40 2897-54U running Windows XP Pro
Serial Port
epischedda

[ Edited ]

Herik,

Also I should  mention that I ran msconfig a few days ago to see if there's anything I could do to speed up my machine's start-up; here's a screen-shot of what the "General" tab in my msconfig feature now says:

http://files.iclippy.com/109436/1251444325.jpg

Note from Moderator:  Image(s) >50k converted to link(s).

E
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinkpad R40 2897-54U running Windows XP Pro