Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
PanEuropean2

"ThinkVantage Tools" Jump List in Start Menu not working properly

Hello All:

I have a very new (3 days old) W520, model number 4270 CTO.  This product arrived with many unique and useful ThinkVantage Tools installed.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, the jump list attached to the "ThinkVantage Tools" entry in the start menu (the frequently used items portion of the start menu) is not opening up to show all of the various ThinkVantage Tools that are available, instead; it is opening up to show what appears to be 'recent places' I have visited using the OS (in other words, kind of like the Windows 7 'recent places' shortcut'.

Can anyone provide me with a suggestion about how to solve this problem, and get the jump list to display the various subsidiary tools, rather than the recent places I have been to with Windows Explorer?  Photo showing the problem is below.

Michael

Notice the problem with the subsidiary jump list...

ThinkVantage Tools Jump List Problem

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: "ThinkVantage Tools" Jump List in Start Menu not working properly

hey PanEuropean2,

uninstall the software and then reinstall it.

see if it happens again.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Thanks for your suggestion Serge, I will try doing that and report back.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Serge:

I need a little bit of help figuring out exactly what to remove, and where to go to get the replacement application to re-install.

I took a look at the various Lenovo applications listed in the "Programs and Features" control panel, and all of them appear to be specific tasks (for example, Power Manager, Access Connections, Active Protection, etc.).  There does not appear to be an entry on that list for "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools".

I also took a closer look at what the entry in the start menu (pictured above) references.  When I examine the Properties for this entry, it shows the following reference: "C:\Windows\explorer.exe ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2\::{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A}\Provider%5CMicrosoft.Base.DeviceDisplayObjects//DDO:%7B00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF%7D\cat{8AA6B0C2-14A6-4da8-BF36-F7D93ACE9ACE}".

Selecting the 'Open File Location' button from the Properties sheet refers me to the explorer.exe application that is contained in the 'C:\Windows' folder.

I would be very grateful if you would tell me exactly how to remove and reinstall this item - in particular, where should I go to find the installer package to reinstall it?  I have looked at the W520 Device Driver File Matrix, under the 'ThinkVantage Technologies' heading, and can't find any entry that explicitly says "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools".

Thanks again for your help.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Punch Card
BruceLee2

I also have this strange behaviour. I "fixed" it by creating a shortcut to windows's explorer.exe. It doesn't matter where you store it as long as you leave it. After that my Explorer in taskbar was pointing correctly to windows explorer instead of the lenovo thinkvantage tools

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bigdfaust

I have a similar question.  I am talking about Thinkvantage Tools (NOT Thinkvantage Toolbox).  I realize this is really a shortcut to many of the items that are in the control panel, but for some reason one of my updates got rid of all of the shortcuts in the window that appears when you clink on Thinkvantage Tools from the start menu.  Some of those items are NOT in the control panel, and personally, I kind of like the the way that Tools gives me all of the in the window.

Can someone tell me how to restore the original set of icons that should be appearing or download something that will do that?  All that shows up right now is a Thinkvantage Tools icon that says "Download Thinkvantage Tools" - 98% of the time, the link fails to take me anywhere, and when it does, it's not the correct page on Lenovo.