Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
jarno06

x220 tablet - problem with Power Manager

Hi,

I installed new SSD disk (Samsung 830, 256 GB) to this great notebook and I installed Win 7 prof x64 on it. After installation I had problems with error ""Windows explorer has stopped working" so I had to find reason of that.

Finally (after lots of restarts and disabling applications) I found that the problem is caused by ThinkPad Power Manager that was installed using Lenovo System Update. So I uninstalled it and then I wanted to install it again from this site (newer version than System update offers). But after downloading setup process freeze and I am unable to install Power Manager at all.

Is there any chance I can install Power Manager again without any errors caused by it? With old HDD all worked fine.

Thank you.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: x220 tablet - problem with Power Manager

Thinkpad Power Manager is very good and useful software.

When ever we upgrade the or install new hardware in our system it is good to update the BIOS.

Kindly update the BIOS from the mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8duj15us.exe

Once you update the BIOS install Power Manager software.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8mu416ww.exe

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

There was a problem in TVSU last week where it was trying to install an old version of Power Manager.

If you are having trouble installing or uninstalling this old version of Power Manager, try opening Task Manager and then killing each process "rundll32.exe".  One or more of those processes is started by Power Manager, and it's causing Windows Explorer to hang.

The latest version of Power Manager (3.66) should not have this problem.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Blue Screen Again
jarno06

Thank you for forwarding my problem to correct discussion and also for all the information how to solve my problem. I installed latest BIOS version from link above and then I wanted to install latest version of Power Manager as well. I used provided link to download setup file but during installation process setup froze. I also tried to kill all rundll.exe but that didn't help anyway.

So I wanted to use System Update to install Power Manager but it does not offer any version of Power Manager. I checked my installed programs but I really don't have any version installed on my system.

Please do you have some suggestions how to install Power Manager? I would like to use it because I used to work with it.

Thank you. 

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what could be causing Power Manager 3.66 installation to hang.  I have not heard of that problem before.

At what point does it hang?  Can you provide a screen capture of it?  How long have you waited to conclude that it is hung?

Blue Screen Again
jarno06

[ Edited ]

At first files are extracted to some folder - e.g. SWTOOLS and then there is window with "Completing the ThinkPad Power Manager Setup Wizard". That's the last window I can see during installation process. Then there is just icon of the setup process at the task bar and nothing happens. In processes I see multiple instances of "8mu416ww.exe" and also process "setup.exe". If I wait for 10 or even more minutes, nothing happens.

What other information could I provide to install Power Manager? Thank you.

What's DOS?
buurmanb

[ Edited ]

Having the similar issue. Re-installed Win7 and downloaded all new drivers / software from the support website. Installation fails after extraction. Setup remains in the taskbar with no activity. Version downloaded was 3.66 (version from March 2012)

What's DOS?
rwivagg

I am having the same problem with Power Manager 3.66.  System is newly installed Windows 7 on an X61.  Lenovo Solution Center seemed to indicate that the Hot Key utility was a prerequisite, but it still did not work after that was installed.  Symptioms are Setup icon on task bar but no activity.  Icon will not expand to a window and can't be closed.  

Token Ring
bladebarrier

I went through this yesterday, actually. 

After you "install" the download of the manager and driver, do a search for the name of the file the manager was (the exe file you downloaded). 

Go to the directory that has that same name. There's an installer for it in that directory. I forget the name I'm afraid, but if you can't find it, send me a PM and I'll hop on the tablet and get it for you. Anyways, that will install it properly. You'll know because you'll see the actualy installation program pop up for it.

Reboot.

Done.

Not sure what the issue is, but there are a few of the new installers, available for download, that are causing this problem.

Hope that helps you.

Blue Screen Again
jarno06

Bladebarrier, thank you for providing another way how to install Power Manager - that is easy and straightforward solution that works for me.

I also think there is some problem with installers.