Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
nicolasf

Can´t read text on my L220x

Hi,

I have recently bought a L220x and I´m having trouble with text on it.

No matter what I do (enable or disable Cleartype), use DVI or VGA, my text is not sharp. I have to force my vision to be able to read and it´s exausting. I can´t work with it right now.

Does anyone has the same problem? I´ve sent a message for Lenovo Support and hopefully they will have some solution, otherwise I don´t know what to do.

With ClearType enabled all text is blurred. It´s somewhat expected, but it´s way more than normal. With it disabled, at first it seems a little better, but then you notice text isn´t sharp. It´s hard to explain.

Let me answer the usual questions: connection through DVI at native resolution (1920x1200 60Hz), tried changing Cleartype settings, I am used to high DPI displays (my notebook has a 15,4" 1680x1050 screen which is has approximatelly 30% more DPI than L220x).

Help! :smileysad:

Great monitor for viewing movies, but I can´t read!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
nicolasf

Re: Can´t read text on my L220x

[ Edited ]
As there were no responses, I´m further improving my topic.

The following two pictures were taken on a Nikon D40, 18-55 lens in manual mode. Photo lens configuration was mantained between the two photos (same focal, same exposure, same white balance). Lenovo L220x using the sRGB profile.

You can clearly see that the text is sharp and precise on my notebook´s display (1680x1050 15,4" TN panel on a Acer Travelmate 8103) and there is a "shadow" on the L220x.

Lenovo L220x:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Acer Travelmate 8103:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Can anyone help me?

I´ve already contacted Lenovo´s support but I only got a standard (in Spanish, which is not my language) reply saying they should be looking into it.

Message Edited by nicolasf on 06-11-2008 07:07 PM
community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]
this is my L220x over VGA driven by the X300 with cleartype enabled in windows: http://i26.tinypic.com/2ufxgme.jpg

i took this with my canon 1Ds mark III and 50mm f/2.5 compact macro.   it caught part of the phase cycle so the color in this shot isn't very accurate.

it's better over DVI but i won't be able to compare that until my D10 finally arrives in a day or two.

Message Edited by erik on 06-12-2008 01:06 AM

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
gosh

Check this page: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Thinkvision&thread.id=2&view=by_date_ascending&p...

Same problem, it is not possible to read text if you don’t want headache. I have had two monitors, the first monitor was more blurred than the second but both are much too blurred to read text from.
I am in contact with Lenovo to have some sort of solution of this. Don’t know if they will help me solve the problem…

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nicolasf

Well, I know have serious problems...

My eye sight got bad, and I don't know if it was caused by or influenced by the L220x.

I had -4,25 of myopia in both eyes and after not being able to use the computer (any monitor) for a few days I went to the doctor and had an increase to -4,50.

In the meantime I made contact with Lenovo support on this issue, and after a long wait they replied to me in the WRONG LANGUAGE saying non-sense. In Brazil we speak PORTUGUESE. When I made the contact through Lenovo's website I wrote in English (as the support website is only in English). And they replied in Spanish... Just great... Here's the reply from Lenovo:

Estimado Nicolas,
Es muy probable que sea una falla de Software, verifique re-instalando los controladores de Video e intente utilizar una resolucion mas pequeña, ejemplo 1024 x 768.
Si realizando esos pasos la falla no se soluciona, verifique cambiando el cable de video o probando el montior directamente en otro equipo, posiblemente tenga dañada la imagen.

Saludos,
Ignacio Godachevich, HelpCenter Lenovo.

In a quick translation (I'm not fluent in Spanish) he says that the problem is probably caused by software, that I should reinstall drivers and try a lower resolution (1024x768) which clearly shows that he doesn't have a clue on what he is talking about.
If that doesn't work I should try the monitor on a different computer.

Now I really regret selling my Samsung 2232BW and buying this L220x... And really can't understand how people think that this monitor is sharp...

Don't know what to do. Will try a new contact with Lenovo...
Punch Card
gosh

erik wrote:
this is my L220x over VGA driven by the X300 with cleartype enabled in windows: http://i26.tinypic.com/2ufxgme.jpg

i took this with my canon 1Ds mark III and 50mm f/2.5 compact macro.   it caught part of the phase cycle so the color in this shot isn't very accurate.

It seems that you also have that red and blue color beside each line. Check left and right side on black text that has white background.
community supermod
erik

gosh wrote:

It seems that you also have that red and blue color beside each line. Check left and right side on black text that has white background.

that effect is exacerbated by chromatic aberration from the lens i used.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
gosh

erik wrote:

gosh wrote:

that effect is exacerbated by chromatic aberration from the lens i used.

But you can't see same effect from top to down
Bit Torrent
wjli2

This is just the problem with LCD screen no amount of adjustment can change that, you just need to get it replaced. Use these common tests to determine the quality of your screen, my feeling is that your screen hardware is not up to scratch.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/lcdtest/
What's DOS?
Shalmanese

The problem is that the lenovo panel uses a RGB rather than BGR LCD subpixel layout. To fix blurry text, download the cleartype powertoy at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowertoy.mspx and run it. This works on both XP and Vista, ignore the
warning that the software is unsupported. Inside the tool, go to advanced and switch the LCD screen striping.

This should fix your problems.