Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cliffnic

Docking Display With New W520

I just got a new W520, and I am unable to see the boot-up screen when it is docked.  There is a bitlocker login that I must deal with before Windows will load.  Once windows loads, both monitors function normally.  I've tried both monitors hooked through Digital, one digital and one analog, and switched which ones were analog and digital.  None of these steps have worked.

andyP
Topics: 180
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 632

Re: Docking Display With New W520

cliffnic, welcome to the forum,

when the system isn't docked please start it, from a cold start, and immediately press F1 to enter BIOS. When in BIOS if you select the Config menu and then Display you should be able to select the "default boot display". Please set it to the output you wish to display the boot screen on, save your setting and exit BIOS.

After it's booted to windows shutdown and cold start with the system docked.  Let us know what happens.

When the system isn't docked it will automatically default to the internal screen.

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
cliffnic

Thanks for the reply Andy.  I'm wondering if something is wrong in the BIOS as I checked that, and I have no available options under display boot device.  The instructions to the right (within the BIOS) indicate what options should be used, but I only have the defaut laptop display available to me.

andyP

[ Edited ]

When the default laptop display is shown, selected, what happens if you press the enter button, does it extend the menu? It should do.

I am assuming you have BIOS sipervisor rights and BIOS entries aren't greyed out.

edit; supervisor bit

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
cliffnic

That is correct Andy.  I have full permissions and nothing is greyed out.....there are just no other options other than the laptop display to select from.

andyP

Unfortunately I don't have a W520 in my pocket at the moment :smileywink:  How's about switching to discrete graphics in BIOS and then re-checking the boot display option?

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
cliffnic

So you were on the right track Andy....but I'm afraid what I'm finding is an extremely poor design.

By switching to Discrete Graphics, I am able to select the appropriate option to see the bootup screen through the dock, but when it comes up into windows the NVidia features are all disabled, the display is terrible, and it won't recognize the second monitor.

So it appears I have two choices....open the lid to deal with the boot or deal with crappy display properties and a crippled display system.  Funny that the only display option that will let it see a dock produces the worst display....and says it produces the highest graphhics performance.

I was really pleased with Lenovo, but right now I have to tell everybody I know and my company's purchasing department NOT to go with this computer....and wish I had my T61 back as I'm stuck with this computer for the next three years. 

I do appreciate your help Andy.....but you can't fix something with a crappy design and the the six hours I've spent trying to get this business class computer to do a basic function of business....dock says that somebody in the design team really dropped the ball.

What's DOS?
doswell

Hi cliffnic,

I just went through the exact same issue as you had - figuring out how to show the bootup screens on the external monitors connected to the mini dock. We also use the bootup password/fingerprint scanner prior to boot, so I also needed to have the display come up properly in order to get into Windows.

I made the same changes with switching to Discrete Graphics, but also enabled the nvidia optimus option after that (some additional reading makes me think the second option might not do anything). I have both monitors working just fine in windows, the same as before changing to discrete graphics, perfect graphics still in the OS.  After the change windows first came up in the lowest resolution possible, and on one monitor, but after it went through detecting the graphics card and installing drivers again everything was back to normal (2 monitors, both at 1680x1050 resolution).  

I'm not sure if the second option made the difference, or if it's just the version of the nvidia drivers.  I too think it's absolutely bonkers that the boot display doesn't automatically show on the external monitors attached to a dock. I get the impression that the issue is more intel than nvidia, as when the bios setting is integrated graphics the only boot display option is the laptop panel.  One other thing I've noticed is the intel device no longer shows in the display adapters, and the option to select the GPU to run applications under when right clicking on something also no longer appears. Likely not a big deal if you wern't relying on the auto switching of the graphics cards to the intel graphics for lower power usage. 

I have the nvidia drivers 295.73 installed, and the Quadro 1000M graphics card. With mini-doc & two external monitors. 

It certainly would be nice if the bios/GPUs handled this better, still allow the GPU switching and pass through the bootup screens, regardless of which GPU is used, to the mini-dock on startup.