Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
nickok
Accepted Solution

L220x SoftOSM screen rotation problem

I was showing off the screen rotation feature on the L220x but then found that it would not return to landscape orientation (embarrassing). I tried using the SoftOSM but the orientation button was greyed out. It had been OK before.

Then I remembered I had recently been prompted to download and install an update to the SoftOSM.
I uninstalled it and reinstalled the original version and at once the screen returned to landscape.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Punch Card
swamped

Re: L220x SoftOSM screen rotation problem

1. make sure you have the latest softOSM version (use the Live update button)
2. check the rotation and resolution buttons to see if they are enabled - they should be, but if not, you may need to reboot

This "feature" is now gone, but in the very first software versions, Windows screen orientation would be sync'd to physical orientation, regardless, which sounds like what you saw and liked. But that was deemed confusing because there was no way to override with the user's preference (i.e., you couldn't rotate the screen to portrait mode if you were physically in landscape mode).
Punch Card
nickok

Thanks swamped. I re-installed latest version and it's OK now.
Paper Tape
SixtySix

[ Edited ]
Well, I've got trouble with auto rotation with latest update of SoftOSM also. Auto rotation option is checked but greyed out. Doesn't auto rotate altough works fine when using hotkeys.

I had problems with SoftOSM before but then it was related to XP SP3. Could not rotate at all. I had to uninstall SP3 and restore my system to previous state. But ok - shame on Microsoft this time ...

So it worked all fine untill i updated SoftOSM yesterday, altough Windows update was running at same time so I don't really know who to blame ...

I'm going slightly mad with this. I hate wasting time on such a "trivial" issues when it should work  (IMHO) flawless from beginning and always! Is this such a big thing to resolve? Is this so complicated to inplement? Why? I'm frustrated with this.

Message Edited by SixtySix on 05-19-2008 06:08 PM
Punch Card
swamped

Screen rotation is simply not a "trivial" thing. The display driver (you don't say what that is) must support it and when you are in the process of updating crucial components of your OS, as you certainly are when you install a SP, that support may be non-existent or temporarily disabled. Your display driver may even have been replaced by or updated to a Microsoft generic.

Anyway: if auto-rotation is checked but greyed-out, it means the user preference is to auto-rotate, but the system doesn't currently support it.