Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Zoolook
Accepted Solution

L220x power saving mode

Hello folks,

got my Lenovo L220x this monday, and having used CRT at home (but LCD at work), I must say, I'm really impressed. Well, I still have to play with the settings, or maybe find some calibration gear to borrow, and I also did not spot any faulty pixels using these tests http://tft.vanity.dk/ .
No what I still have to figure out, why is my monitor apparently not really going to sleep after displaying "Power Saving Mode" in a green frame for few seconds on a black background, then it goes into standby mode (the background gets even darker, as the backlight seems to switch off, and the control LED goes yellow), but unfortunately again after few seconds, it goes back into displaying "Power Saving Mode" (LED goes green again), and so forth. DPMS is enabled, and I noticed this mainly under Linux (will check in Windows XP to make sure).
What do you  think, is this normal, or how do your monitors behave?

Lucian
L220x on GeForce7600GT 512MB via Single Link DVI (reduced blanking - 1920x1200x60Hz@154 MHz)
primary OS: Gentoo Linux
other OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
community supermod
erik

Re: L220x power saving mode

turn off your computer while the L220x is attached and powered.   this should eliminate any OS variables with linux.   if the display still comes back on with a green light after going into power save mode then there's a problem.   if it stays in power save then it's something with your OS.

definitely test it with XP, too, to verify that it does work properly under another OS.   my guess is that it has something to do with linux but at this point it's just a guess.

under every OS i've used my L220x (XP, server 2003, vista, and server 2008) it correctly enters power save mode whenever the system is put into suspend or turned off.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
Zoolook

Thank you Erik for your suggestions, will try them as soon as I get home.

erik wrote:
turn off your computer while the L220x is attached and powered.   this should eliminate any OS variables with linux.   if the display still comes back on with a green light after going into power save mode then there's a problem.   if it stays in power save then it's something with your OS.

Now this makes me think it could be my mains power setup, as I'm using a master/slave power outlet strip, in which the computer is the master and only after turning it on, the peripherals are literally plugged to the mains. This leaves the L220x in the situation that whenever it is powered itself, the computer is already running (quite the opposite as you're suggesting to try), it does not have to "wake up" from standby then, as it's really powered up by the power cord (although I think I noticed it remembers the state of the power switch even when completely powered off).

erik wrote:
definitely test it with XP, too, to verify that it does work properly under another OS.   my guess is that it has something to do with linux but at this point it's just a guess.

under every OS i've used my L220x (XP, server 2003, vista, and server 2008) it correctly enters power save mode whenever the system is put into suspend or turned off.

Yes, will sure have to check with windows, too. Maybe it all boils down to plugging the monitor directly to the mains and leave it do it's own power/standby cycling by itself.

L220x on GeForce7600GT 512MB via Single Link DVI (reduced blanking - 1920x1200x60Hz@154 MHz)
community supermod
erik

ahh, yes, i'll bet it has something to do your power strip.   knowing that, i'm quite confident that your L220x is ok. :smileyhappy:

post back when you get it figured out.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
Zoolook

erik wrote:
ahh, yes, i'll bet it has something to do your power strip. knowing that, i'm quite confident that your L220x is ok. :smileyhappy:

post back when you get it figured out.

Unfortunately, no joy yet :smileysad:. I plugged the L220x mains power cord directly, had it powered up before powering up the computer, same behaviour in Linux and XP, even with lower resolution than the native one (I thought, my single link DVI would be on its limits, but I guess DDC/CI has nothing to do with it, isn't it?).
Few more things:
1. on the analog VGA port, standby works well;
2. never tried this graphics card with DVI output before, so I can't say it isn't its fault.

I am also just about to upgrade to the best AGP Geforce I can afford right now (a 7600GT with 512MB, passive cooled, with dual link DVI http://media.msi.eu/main.php?g2_itemId=9162 ), but maybe I should try to check this monitor at another DVI which unfortunately I don't have now handy. I guess I'll ask a friend to borrow his card briefly...
Punch Card
Zoolook

[ Edited ]

Zoolook wrote: ...but maybe I should try to check this monitor at another DVI which unfortunately I don't have now handy. I guess I'll ask a friend to borrow his card briefly...
Tried the monitor at my friend's place, and standby works with DVI! So I guess I'll order a new graphics card.

Message Edited by Zoolook on 05-26-2008 02:07 AM

My new MSI GeForce7600GT / AGP arrived, all works well, including power saving of the L220x, even with my "special" power strip, so it really was my old card.

Message Edited by Zoolook on 06-03-2008 09:34 AM