Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Tipperton
Accepted Solution

Thoughts and questions about the L220x monitor

Hi all! :smileyhappy:

I just bought a L220x monitor and so far I like it a lot.

Unfortunately my corrected vision isn't perfect (20/60) so I have to run it at a lower than native resolution just to be able to read it. What surprised me about this monitor was how few modes (resolutions) were supported using a DVI connection and since none of them where usable (too high) or unaceptable (not wide screen) I had to use a VGA connection instead.

I know I could have bought a cheaper monitor since I'm not using the L220x's full resolution capabilities but after studying the various panel types available decided I wanted a monitor that used a VA or a variant of VA panels. That way I could get a good compromise between the IPS panel's color accuracy and the TN film panel's response time.

After doing some searching I found only four models of 22 inch wide screen monitors that didn't use TN film. Two I eliminated immediately because they used really slow (approx 35 ms response time) IPS panels, and of the other two only the Lenovo L220x appeared to be available in the US.

What I'm wondering is since the automatic display setting feature analyses the incoming signal to determine what display settings to use, is there some type of image or display I can put on the screen that will help it produce the best settings, some kind of test pattern maybe?

According to the specs the L220x's maximum brightness is 325 cd/m2, does anyone know what it's brightness is at it's lowest setting?

Thanks!
"It's good looking crap!"
(My thoughts about Windows Vista...)
Punch Card
Bagger

Re: Thoughts and questions about the L220x monitor

I take it you`re using Vista, from your comment below your post .

Instead of using lower resolutions, Why not use " Font DPI scaling "  to increase the size of the fonts. Vista scales fonts very very well with little to no blurring.

Right click desk top > personalize > then on the left hand side of the box click "adjust font size (DPI)"

Paper Tape
Tipperton

No, actually I'm using XP and have no plans to switch to Vista.

I have tried using the DPI setting, it works however all the other graphic elements such as icons and buttons stay the same very small size which is a problem for me. Also many programs assume standard font sizes and/or DPI settings and changing either causes their displays to be messed up.

And at the resolution I'm using there is some bluriness but it is not too bad.

Unfortunately my vision leaves me with two choices, acept a slightly degraded image on an LCD monitor or go back to using a CRT monitor. If there were 22 inch wide screen CRT monitors, I'd have probably gone that way even though it would be large and heavy.

LCD panels are made for people with 20/20 vision and those who aren't so lucky are pretty much ignored.
community supermod
erik

Tipperton wrote:

LCD panels are made for people with 20/20 vision and those who aren't so lucky are pretty much ignored.

that depends on if you're a 'glass half empty' or 'glass half full' type of person.   there are many 19-22" displays in 1680x1050 and 1440x900 resolutions that would likely suit your needs better -- some of which are even IPS or PVA.   you simply have to decide what DPI your vision can handle and purchase accordingly.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Paper Tape
Tipperton

To give you and idea, I had a 19 inch CRT that I ran at 1024 x 768 which is the limit of what my vision can handle.

I'm current running the L220x at 1280 x 768 which is the limit of what my vision can handle. I could actual handle 1280 x 800 which is a true 16:10 aspect ration but the L220x doesn't support that resolution. I will display it, but in 1024 x 768 mode with 32 rows of pixels cut off at the top or bottom of the display.

Also Windows DPI setting is worthless. It's not a true DPI setting, if it were a true DPI setting the size of the displayed text would not change when you change the screen's resolution and it would effect everything, not just fonts.

Finally, although I know I'm not getting the best display I could because I can't run at the native resolution, I still find the display quality acceptable enough to be happy with this monitor.

Now I hope somebody has an answer to my two original questions.
  1. To help the automatic display adjustment feature pick the best settings, is there a prefered image or test pattern to display when running the adjustment?
  2. The specs say the monitors highest brightness setting is 325 cd/m2, does anyone know what it's brightness is at it's lowest brightness setting?
Paper Tape
Tipperton

I'll correct myself. The DPI setting does effect more than just the fonts and after some experimenting setting it to 150% would have worked if it wasn't for many programs that I use not taking that setting into account and thus producing messed up displays. :smileymad:

But really, that DPI thing is backwards, raising the number of dot per inch should make things smaller, not larger! :smileysurprised: Maybe they should call inches per dot! :smileytongue:

I did some calculations and found that the L220x at native resolution runs a little over 100 pixels per inch. The most my vision can handle with Windows set to 96 DPI is about 68 pixels per inch.

I guess the best I can hope for is that developers get off their lazy butts and start making programs more accessable to people with handicaps and paying attention to Windows settings such as DPI.
community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]
in all fairness, you should consider finding a display with an acceptable native resolution rather than trying to force something to work outside of its design specs, including both the display and the operating system.   i have yet to see an LCD run at a non-native resolution and give acceptable results by my standards (i'm a professional graphic/industrial designer).

if the limit of your vision tolerance is 1280x800 @ 22" then perhaps you should consider a traditional 4:3 ratio display like the lenovo L193P.   it's 1280x1024 @ 19" and has 800:1 contrast and 300 cd/m^2 brightness.

edit: fixed grammatical error

Message Edited by erik on 04-28-2008 09:09 AM

Paper Tape
Tipperton

[ Edited ]

erik wrote:
in all fairness, you should consider finding a display with an acceptable native resolution rather than trying to force something to work outside of its design specs, including both the display and the operating system.
That's just it, NOBODY makes an LCD panel that has a low enough native resolution I can read. Most panels average around 100 pixels per inch but I need no more than 70 pixels per inch to be able to read it. So my ONLY options are to run an LCD monitor outside its native resolution or to forget LCDs and stay with CRT monitors that don't have a native resolution.

erik wrote:
if the limit of your vision tolerance is 1280x800 @ 22" then perhaps you should consider a traditional 4:3 ratio display like the lenovo L193P.   it's 1280x1024 @ 19" and has 800:1 contrast and 300 cd/m^2 brightness.

Are you trying to be funny? If so you failed. If the highest resolution I can read on a 19 inch CRT is 1024 x 768, how am I supposed to read a 19 inch LCD at 1280 x 1024? With a magnifying glass?

Try thinking before typing!

Note from Moderator: Please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market. Knowing your location helps us help you.

Message Edited by nonny on 04-28-2008 07:53 PM
community supermod
erik

Tipperton wrote:

That's just it, NOBODY makes an LCD panel that has a low enough native resolution I can read.
then you'll probably be best with a CRT as they handle scaling perfectly.

Are you trying to be funny? If so you failed. If the highest resolution I can read on a 19 inch CRT is 1024 x 768, how am I supposed to read a 19 inch LCD at 1280 x 1024? With a magnifying glass?

Try thinking before typing!
in no way was i trying to be funny.   i was trying to help you.   you posted a question on an open forum asking for advice.   if you aren't willing to listen others' advice then you shouldn't post on an open forum.

a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 has one of the lowest PPI densities on the market and is only 20% smaller than 1024x768.   if this suggestion is unacceptable to you then that's all you need to say.

lastly, it's physically impossible not to think before typing.   think about it. :smileyvery-happy:   (NOW i'm trying to be funny :smileywink:)

good luck with your quest.   i hope you find a solution.

Paper Tape
Tipperton

erik wrote:
then you'll probably be best with a CRT as they handle scaling perfectly.

I would say you are right except that I really like this wide screen format and so far that I've seen, nobody makes a widescreen CRT monitor.

erik wrote:
in no way was i trying to be funny.   i was trying to help you.   you posted a question on an open forum asking for advice.   if you aren't willing to listen others' advice then you shouldn't post on an open forum.

Sorry,

erik wrote:
a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 has one of the lowest PPI densities on the market and is only 20% smaller than 1024x768.   if this suggestion is unacceptable to you then that's all you need to say.

I've tried increasing the resolution on the 19 CRT higher than 1024 x 768 and it wasn't any good, I see it but had to focus really hard to read it, so even that monitor wouldn't work out at native resolution.

erik wrote:
good luck with your quest.   i hope you find a solution.

I already have, even though I'm getting the best image this monitor has to offer because I have to run it at a non-native resolution, the image quality isn't bad, so I'm happy with it.

If I can find a way to contact them, I'll try and ask someone at Lenovo tech support my two questions, maybe they will have an answer.