Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
overclocked

Using two Lenovo ThinkVision L2321x under Windows

Hi all,

I am trying to use two L2321x monitors connected to the same computer running WIndows Vista. The computer has a 3-4 year old Nvidia card and its works great. By manually using Pivot and changing output in Nvidia driver I've also managed to get one of them to show the screen in Portrait mode. I really like those screens!

Now to my question: Because I also like to to use the multi-input on at least one screen to connect my own electronics outputting VGA-images, I've installed the ThinkVision Duo Software for Windows to be able to control the PIP-functionality (picture in picture) from the Tray bar in Windows. It seems to work with one screen, but when I connect both of them via USB, it doesn't work as expected. Everything works until I actually start to use Duo, then one screen goes black and the other one informs me that DUo-mode is not possible because only one input has a signal. By again selecting screen mode from the Nvidia driver I can get both screen to display pictures. Is there a way to be able to use Duo software for two screens?

I suppose one solution might be to disconnect the USB for one of them.. But this also make the remote-controlling of PIP disabled for this monitor.

Best regards

Magnus

Lenovo Employee
rodrigomancilla

Re: Using two Lenovo ThinkVision L2321x under Windows

Magnus,

I personally prefer to use set the screen splits directly on the monitor versus using the Duo software, I like to keep my system running as light as possible so whenever I have a change I avoid having apps running in the background.

Do you normally modify the screen splits (50%/50%, 70%/30%, 30%/70% or PIP)? I'm curious.

Rod

Paper Tape
overclocked

Rodrigo,

I'm so new with these screens so I havn't had a chance to test them fully yet. I just finished my new computer to which these will be connected. The original thought I had was to use them as Digital (HDMI+DP) Dual-screens in Windows where my right screen would use the Pivot-functionality, thus be using Portrait mode. Then I would use PIP-VGA for my own FPGA-development-hardware I'm constructing as the 640*480-mode suits it perfectly.

This works ok but not perfect. The screens handle everything perfect but Firefox 7.0.1 does not handle portrait mode. The drop-downs for Bookmarks does not work. Another problem is one that I actually forseen but got cleared with the dealership selling the monitors. My graphics card, Geforce 550 Ti, has 2 DVI, 1 Display-port  and 1 HDMI. I would like to use both the DP and HDMI for these 2 monitors, but it seems like the HDMI=>DP-cable I'm using have problems. It does not communicate with the monitor and does not find it in Windows then connected. I'm not sure this is because onyl one of the Digital-Out's can be used at a time or something else. I will look in to the problem. For now I must use analog VGA on one monitor to get a working picture.

I have yet to try connecting the development-card. I'll do this any day.

The other PIP-modes, like 50/50 or 70/30 seem to be a waste of some good pixels (the black areas) but of course better to have more alternatives than none.

I must say that, al though the L2321x is not being comparable with the very best monitors, it's still a bargain for the average home-user that want a Full-HD 23" with good features!

Magnus

Lenovo Employee
rodrigomancilla

Magnus,

one thing about cable adapters is that they follow this "rule of thumb" they convert from new protocols to older ones, so in order of older to newer:  VGA-DVI-HDMI-DP.

The newer connector needs to be on the video card, so for instance, if your computer's video card has DVI and/or HDMI you cannot convert to DP. But in the case of the Geforce 550 mentioned in your post, you can connect DP to DP and use DVI to VGA in order to connect to the L2321x.

Based on what I mentioned above, you cannot convert from newer technology from monitor to PC (i.e. DP in monitor to VGA in PC).

I'm surprised Firefox doesn't work well in protrait, would imagine this to be a development issue worth mentioning to Mozilla.

Another thing to mention is that many cards I've seen in the past allow to use 2 simultaneous outputs, unless is part of the NVS family from nVIDIA (i.e. 420/450 quad head cards). So, very likely that this card only accept DVI and DP, 2xDVI or DVI + HDMI ... worth checking this in more detail.

This is one of the coolest monitors in the market, use it with a KVM dual screen switch and this will blow you away!

Rod

Paper Tape
overclocked

Thanks for that useful info Rodrigo. I just bought a DP=>DVI today and it didn't work either, which kind of rimes well with your description.. I'll have to take that back.. But like you said, with one DP=>DP and one VGA=>DVI it actually work out quite OKI.

Due to a bad coincidence the above DP + VGA connection seem to bring problem with Multi-monitor gaming. In some post I read at NVidia both monitors need to be connected with the same technlogy (VGA+VGA or Digital+Digital) for Dual-Monitor gaming to work). I'll just check that by connecting both with VGA..

Weel anyway, thanks for the advice! A tip for other multi-monitor maniacs is a windows software called "DisplayFusion" which among many things makes two-span monitor wallpaper possible even in the free version. Also a quick switch for getting the program to move to next monitor is included.

Best Regards

Magnus