Support in other languages: 
Retired Moderator
vkyr

Re: lenovo thinkvision L220x review (pics)

Yep, do as Erik already said and use sRGB and the usual monitor gamma of 2.2 the rest is usually handled by the software itself, which binds in the newly generated profile next time you start the OS. - If you want to switch between profiles for different devices etc. you can use under Windows XP also the MS Color Control Applet here.

BTW, a GretagMacbeth Eye-one display 2 colorimeter is a good and handy tool for monitor calibrations, which does also a fine job for right matching difficult to handle greylevels.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

vrf
What's DOS?
vrf

Anyone know when the L220x will be back in stock? Sold out everywhere, and I'm getting desperate.
Fanfold Paper
Frydryce

Hopefully this is a good sign.  My monitor just shipped one month earlier than expected.  I had a delivery expected date of May 19, however i got a shipping confirmation this morning.  So it looks like Lenovo is starting to get back into the swing of things and those of us who ordered back in March should be receiving our monitors soon =)

cheers!
Punch Card
nickok

I received my L220x about 10 days ago - about 10 days after ordering. I'm still in the first throes of infatuation. (I was using a IBM G94 19in CRT before, about 10 years old). The dealer suggested that the L220x was an end-of-life product, but so what there's always something newer and better just around the corner.

My main concern is that the monitor outclasses the rest of my system so now I have to consider upgrading everything else. I wasn't sure if the Nvidia Geforce MX420 would be able to drive it OK but all is fine. I only have VGA but from what I've read here I might not see much difference with DVI. Also I realise I need to improve my limited knowledge of profiling and calibration. It would be good to hear some feedback from the people with calibration devices on order with their experience of using them with this monitor. In common with others I note that red and green are over saturated (monitor set to sRGB as per Erik's suggestion).

A couple of minor things:

Not sure what the blue clip at the back is for apart from locking  the monitor at minimum height setting in shipping?
I didn't spot at first that you have to install the soft OSD to use the rotation feature. I was quite surprised because this just worked right away once soft OSD was running. I thought the old low-spec graphics card would probably not handle it. Not that I expect to use this a lot but it could be nice for viewing portrait shape photos.

This thread has been a mine of info. Thanks Erik and others.
Punch Card
Kmetek

wasserkool,

set the display on sRGB in the on-screen menu before calibration.   after calibration, the eye-one match software will automatically load the LUT upon startup so it's a very straightforward process.

how?

can you guys please help step by tep...

I just installed LCD.....and picture is too bright.
Fanfold Paper
Frydryce

you will need a calibration system like Huey, Spyder, Gretag Macbeth, etc.  The software will guide you step by step on the calibration process as well as create an ICC profile for you.

Once complete, you will need to set windows to use the ICC profile created by the software.  It will be in Advanced display properties under color management.  Be sure to disassociate any existing ICC profiles before calibration.
Punch Card
Kmetek

[ Edited ]
is these calibration software free? :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Kmetek on 04-22-2008 12:12 PM
Fanfold Paper
Frydryce

No its not free, but its not expensive either.  Unless you rely on your monitor to make money or are really **bleep** about your color, the Pantone Huey Pro system is good enough.  I believe it retails for $99.  I personally use the Spyder Print-Fix-Pro Suite which calibrates monitor to printer for $400.  Gretag's systems are even more.

I'm surprised that Lenovo hasn't released a default ICC profile for the monitor though as a good starting point for non-professionals.  Please understand that your monitor will at first look over saturated because of the increased gamut range.  your eyes are just not used to seeing all the extra color.  once your eyes adjust you will never go back, and laugh in the face of consumer TN panels.  also you'll probably need to turn the brightness down to 50 or less unless you want to burn out your eyes especially at night
Punch Card
Kmetek

i had LG L2000C and now I can't adjust properly monitor.....my eyes cant adjust to wide, really anoying, might return it.
Punch Card
Justa1

Frydryce...

I found a colour profile for the monitor on Lenovo's website a few days ago....Lenovo is not the easiest site to navigate but it is there!